Member Array
    Car:
    GE8

GVM? Tare mass? Kerb weight? What's the diff?

Could someone explain GVM, tare mass, kerb weight? Confused

GVM = gross vehicle mass, usually calculated when the car has a full stock of fluids including petrol and a driver but no passengers.

Tare Weight = in car terms, is the amount of weight it is rated to carry, basically the number of average passengers and total cargo over and above the GVM (tare = gross - net).

Kerb Weight = calculated by the maufacturer of the car and is the car's sprung weight (ie: sitting on the road on its wheels, not weighed on a a chassis scale) which includes full fluids (incl. petrol) but no driver, passengers or luggage.

Hope there is no more confusion
    Last edited by Captiva_Blue; 23-11-2005 at 06:53 PM.
    "He who would travel happily must travel light"
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Member Array
    Car:
    GE8
    So I should use kerb weight to calculate weight/power ratio.
    I'm thinking how EJ8 compares to EH9 (data from red book)
    EJ8 is 1029kg/93kw = 11.06 kg/kw
    EH9 is 1088kg/96kw = 11.33 kg/kw

EJ8 seems to be faster by a hairline .. I was thinking between those two. I'm glad I chose EJ8... though a sunroof would be better

Check out the IZZ rolla: 1081kg/100kw = 10.81 kg/kw
    very close with DC4 (Gsi): 1075kg/101kw = 10.64 kg/kw

Do not underestimate them.

thx.
    Last edited by twing; 23-11-2005 at 09:13 PM.

You would actually be better off calculating power to weight using GVM since it has the driver on board. Any time your actually moving about, ie: when a power to weight is relevant, there tends to be a driver on board Just a thought.. It's more of a real world calculation...
    "He who would travel happily must travel light"
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Member Array
    Car:
    GE8
    GVM = kerb + driver's weight
    What's the weight of driver used in that calculation? Commo driver's weight will be more than Honda driver's weight... cos Australian is heavier than asian . Assuming same driver drives those car, then kerb weight is more suitable then.

Maybe all drivers is better to follow Jenny Craig program before go for tracking... hehehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by twing
    GVM = kerb + driver's weight
    What's the weight of driver used in that calculation? Commo driver's weight will be more than Honda driver's weight... cos Australian is heavier than asian . Assuming same driver drives those car, then kerb weight is more suitable then.

Maybe all drivers is better to follow Jenny Craig program before go for tracking... hehehehehe
    funny since ive seen a few more asian people in commodores and white people in Hondas (myself included )

Seriosuly though , id think there is some "average" human weight which is taken into factoring the "GVM" of a car.

Hi Captiva Blue,

Let me correct you.

Tare Weight is the unladen weight of the vehicle - it is the same as Kerb Weight.

GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass) is the manufacturers recommendation of the total weight that the vehicle can carry - not including towed weight.

Most commercial vehicles (trucks) are required to display the Tare & GVM so that the load can be verified at weighbridges etc.

Cheers,
    Wazza.