Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1994 Prelude VTiR

Parts for Honda CRX SiR

You might be able to tell by my username i am new to forums and dont even have a honda yet. However, i just got my first full time job and goddamn love CRX SiR's. Does anyone own or know if it is difficult to get parts for them and if they are expensive to fix when something goes pop? I am looking at buying one from the mainland as i am in Tassie and there aint no SiR's here let alone many crx's but will only do so if i can fix the thing cos the prices people want for them aint exactly low scale for a car of that age, let alone having to possibly spend a fortune on it on top of that. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers folks,

James

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1989 CRX SiR
    they are as easy as normal crx's to fix.. Just have to learn which parts can match up with other models. For example, the suspension for my SiR comes from a DC2 model. Also EG suspension fits aswell.. So I have found it relatively cheap considering its an import. Only trouble I have had so far was with a replacement filter for stock air box, I ended up sorting it out in a couple of mins.. Just have to know where to look (ozhonda, crxaustralia.com)

There is a great SiR for sale at the moment that I wanted when I bought mine but was asking a heap more before. I would of snapped it up hell quick if it was for sale for the price it is now..

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34207

Hope that helps out..

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    ok here is my take..
    crx parts in general are not the easiest parts to find at a wrecker compaired to say an integra, accord civic etc etc. And because EF8/SiR's are rare i would say if you smashed the front you would have an extremely difficult time finding parts. (the front of these cars are different design then the aussie crx).

Also the engines in these are b16a's and have cable transmissions.. no aussie delivered car came with b16a (a2 yes though) and none came with b series cable transmissions. So if a difficult or unique parts gets stuff you might have a headache finding a replacement, especially in tassie. But as rexi said most of the common stuff you can get like filters, belts gaskets because b16a2 stuff will fit.

If you want bolt on mods for the car too, model specific you will most of the time have to order from overseas because no one here really caters for them..

also if your attraction to the SiR crx might also be because of the rear seat, i think it is illegal to basically use them and they are too small anyway. Basically pointless.. ofcourse u could still use them, but if ur mates get killed in the back by some car i doubt u will ever forgive yourself.

Also fuel oconomy for these cars hasnt been as good as expected for most..

if you can deal with this then get one.. there seems to be a fair few coming in because of the end of the 15 year rule so things might get better.. but yeah
    Last edited by Dxs; 04-03-2006 at 11:11 AM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1994 Prelude VTiR
    thanks for your reply and i expected about as much (that it wont be easy to fix the car), seeing as i am young and have crashed one car the bumper is certainly something to think about. dunno wat ur on about with the backseat, think that was on overkill on guilt trip to be honest, i rarely take more than two ppl in a car neways, and all the cars i'm interested in are two door and i have no intention of caging people up. but thankyou for ur wisdom and will appreciate it when making a decision on whether to buy one of these or not.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1994 Prelude VTiR
    thanks for your advice, but i think it sounds like it could be a pain in the arse finding bits and pieces for the car, but i will take it all into account, thankyou.

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    all i am saying is that legally i cant have ppl in the back who are over 28kg or 78cm or some bs.. all the cars i have owned and really driven have been 2 door; integra, silvia, festiva and the crx would be the worset for rear seats.. almost useless..
    so think of the sir as really a 2 seater only, compaired to say a silvia which is ok for 4 ppl..

just remember that with the joy of owning a rather rareish car also comes the downfalls

maybe look into an EF9... civic SiR.. weigh a little more but are sexy and have better rear seats

good luck

Member Array
    Car:
    Oldschool EF
    dont use the rear seats, i'm 166cm and i my head touches the hatch glass
    and theres no legroom at all!

Front bumpers arent so hard to find if u want aftermarket bumpers!
    For the SiR, Headlights, indicators and bonnet is rarer ! (lucky i have some spare
    I once went to a wrecker and they wanted $500 for the SIR bumper, with indicators, i thought the guy woudlnt know how special it was, but i was wrong.

But you gotta realize when u have a car, you dont plan on crashing it... i've had my car for about 6 years now and i've never smashed any of the lights ..
    however i've replaced my headlights about 3 times (from plastic, to glass, to SiR) and my rear lights as well (88, to 91

Member Array
    Car:
    Will probably depend where your located? Syd has a few honda wreckers that will be able to source you parts

Parts for hondas are generally more expensive

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dxs
    Also fuel oconomy for these cars hasnt been as good as expected for most..
    WTF??? Do you actually know what you are talking about????

7.15 liters per 100km (highway cycle) in my EF9 and it's heavier than an EF8. I can drive Sydney to Melbourne on 1 1/2 tanks of fuel. They have a smaller tank than the ED6 - maybe that's confusing you.

Around town I get about 8.5 liters/100km - which goes to about 12 liters/100km if I drain the tank putting the boot in all the time.

If you think that's poor fuel economy, don't ever buy a V8.

Rather than making uninformed opinions, here's the lowdown:

Parts are available from NZ but are in limited supply. Parts can be ordered from Japan but may take up to 3 months to arrive. A lot of the body trim that is EF8/9 specific is unavailable. Many parts can be taken from other Hondas. Aftermarket performance parts are readily available.

The EF8/9 are more reliable than their ED counterparts if treated properly. 305,000kms on my original B16A motor (got the car with 120,000 on it over 7 years ago) and minimal wear and tear has proven it.
    Last edited by Setanta; 07-03-2006 at 08:20 AM.
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    Bolt ons are especially common. Most B18c bolt-ons are fine for the B16a, same with most other B series parts (ie the del sols). Even if it were a case of "import only" there are heaps of JDM import businesses in Australia. Taking a rear passenger hasn't been a problem for me, but I guess it depends on their height (or spinal flexibility lol) and the stiffness/height of your suspension. If vicroads (or other state equivilent) is prepared to register the vehicle as a 4-seater, then they've decided that it conforms to the safety requirements.

Aftermarket suspension specific to the EF8 is mostly import only, but most Aussie suppliers carrying that brand will import them for you as long as you make a large deposit.

As mentioned, most parts from CRX Si models from the interior/exterior are compatible and thanks to the strong global aftermarket for SiRs, the exclusive parts are obtainable, even if the only sacrifice is non-OEM (ie angel-eye projectors instead oaf the fogged OEM front lights)...

The downsides to the SiR are pretty limited and in most cases where you can't find OEM replacements locally, you might be up for extra in the form of postage. In my opinion it is worth it.

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    Quote Originally Posted by Setanta
    WTF??? Do you actually know what you are talking about????
    no i dont.. i like to talk shit..

maybe where i said hasnt been the best for most was exageratted..
    but there are a couple of people getting around 330k's per tank on crxau when they dont baby/granny their car..

' Also fuel oconomy for these cars hasnt been as good as expected..'

i would say that is a fair comment (besides the most).. And i have previously owned a car that liked fuel, which was a big factor to change to a 1.6

so yeah, just calm down old man.. everything will be alright

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Condescending f*cker aren't you?

Having owned everything from heavily modified chev 8s, a hemi 6, rotaries, turbo 6s and 4s as well as motorbikes over the past 20 years, It never ceases to amaze me that people want performance and economy. You can't have both. VTEC is designed to be economical on the smaller cam lobe but when you open it right up and you switch to the larger lobe, more air and fuel (shock horror) goes into the motor.

At 8000rpm plus, that's a shitload of fuel dumping into the motor.

It's not rocket science really, it just surprises me how dumb people are.

Try a big-block 8 at idle - now THAT's poor fuel economy. Not to mention a PP 13B with good old fashioned carby induction.
    Last edited by Setanta; 07-03-2006 at 04:05 PM.
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX