Member Array
    Car:
    83,83 & 84 gen1s & 91 CRX

ZC.. hunting Idle problem Fixed Browntop/Blacktop

hey All,

Don't know how many ppl here have a browntop ZC in their car.. but It also applies to blacktop ZCs.

When I bought BANDIT, it was hunting at idle *revs up and down* when it got hot... I knew it was something with the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) thats at the back of the throttle body *narrowed that problem down heaps of times*.

This time after replacing a USED and corroded IACV *water pipes litelarly broke off when I tried taking the clamps off the hoses* - the problem persisted - there was no hot water getting through to the IACV..

I tracked it back to a blocked pipe at the fuel rail side of the water cooling system - unblocked it and its idling sweet as now!

So just a bit of advice for the others if youre car is idling like mine was - check that your IACV is getting hot water and is operating correctly.

Mike

(CICV is my term for Cold Idle Control Valve)
    Last edited by SINISTR; 13-03-2006 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Term Correction
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A

Member Array
    hmmm....would this also apply to a d16a8?? mine idles very much like you've stated

Member Array
    Car:
    Its quiet possible Mick, the only thing is - on the D16A8s the CICV is built into the throttle body. But do check after you run the car - that the pipes at the back are hot - actually check ALL the water pipes - if they are cold you know there is a blockage somewhere near them.

Reason why car idles like it does - is because its being tricked its Hot and Cold as hot air goes around the system but not the water thats meant to turn off the Choke (CICV)
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    CICV? I think Honda call it an IACV (Idle Air Control Valve).

Anyway yeah the ZC D16A8 is the faster backtop version of the older Brown top, basically the same engine.

ps. Two other things to fix idle problems: screw in the FITV knob and clean the throttle body. Actually cleaning the IACV didnt help my idle problems at all.

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe - I shorted it to CICV... as I know its called Cold Idle - because thats the only purpose it serves - same thing tho :P

the IACV (CICV) valve does occasionally get stuck inside - the spring goes a bit funny and doesn't lift the valve. I just found that water not getting to it seems to be a common problem... ive had it happen on this D16A3 and also on GENONEs EW5 motor.

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    its not called a CICV
    its called a
    FITV - Fast Idle Thermo Valve - under the TB and controls cold idle
    IACV - Idle Air Control Valve - on the rear of the intake manifold. this controls hot idle and rev dipping from load.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Car:
    Cheers for clearing that up :P

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    sorry for being pendictive but in the very unlikly a noob searches ur thread before posting his problems, he will find ur aronymn and be like wtf nothing in the service manual about it and google doesnt even know what this is.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by Weq
    sorry for being pendictive but in the very unlikly a noob searches ur thread before posting his problems, he will find ur aronymn and be like wtf nothing in the service manual about it and google doesnt even know what this is.
    hehe - I understand ... :P i guess I made up my own term... still makes sense tho haha... I'll change my posts

how much is the idle hunting?

Member Array
    Car:
    oh yeah - and another thing... very important

if you're working with water hoses and clamps... do check them for corrosion, hardened hoses, corroded clamps... replacement ahead of time if you notice something happening with them will save you heaps of headaches later on down the track for example being stuck on the side of the road when you're meant to be at dinner with your GF or on the way to an important work interview.

and always use good engine coolant in your cooling system - not tap water...