Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1

Cleaning a Panal Filter

Just a quick question. I have a K&N panal filter and just wanted to know whats a quick and easy way of cleaning it?

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    You need to buy a K&N cleaning kit (K&N call it "Recharger") which comes with a special degreaser and re-oiler. I think they are around $20-40 but they last a long time.

If you use normal detergents and oils, you can damage the filter.

http://www.knfilters.com/clningacc.htm

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Sedan w/JDM ZC
    dish detergent and water. thats basically all the K&N cleaning fluid is. just make sure when you rinse it you rinse from clean side.
    then re oil.

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroDude
    You need to buy a K&N cleaning kit (K&N call it "Recharger") which comes with a special degreaser and re-oiler. I think they are around $20-40 but they last a long time.

If you use normal detergents and oils, you can damage the filter.
    Repco was selling the kit for around $30 or so .
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

I would only use what the manafacturer recommends...

I use the recharge kit once every 10,000k's

The recharge kit you will find for $30 at autobarn or repco. In order to clean you filter follow these directions:

1. Take it out, carefully ensuring no crap falls off into your air box. If it does, get it out.
    2. Get a brush and brush off the large particles.
    3. Fill a tray with water, then shake the filter in the water so that more of the larger particles are cleaned away.
    4. Apply the special cleaner from the kit to the element, then using a tap or hose, wash the filter FROM THE BACK (ie. the engine side of the filter, if you get what i mean) washing the other way may not get rid of all the particles in the element.
    5. Leave to dry (I just do this overnight, coz you shouldnt drive without your filter on)
    6. When dry, spray the included filter oil on the element until its all back to that lovely deep red colour. Make sure that you get all of the element with the oil, but dont put too much on.
    7. Wipe any excess oil which will inevitably spray onto the 'casing' around the element, then put it back in your car and you're set to go! I think they also recommend you let the oil work in for 10 minutes before using.
    Last edited by mugeneration; 16-03-2006 at 06:30 PM. Reason: forgot you had a panel filter, not a pod
    ...... and that's all I have to say about that.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1
    Thanks for that mugeneration and the rest, ill go out a buy a kit tomorrow.

Cheers

i know this is kinda off the topic..by juss out of interest
    how do u clean a pod filter?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    One good advice I have read is to dab a piece of kitchen towel roll to soak up excess oil. For Hondas, we have MAP sensors, so it is not too critical. Other brands of cars use AF meters and it can get gummed by the excess oil.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2