Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's

DIY PGMFI Fuel Filter Change

DIY PGMFI Fuel Filter Change
    Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk.

Aim: change da fuel filter

Required: most cases, 10mm socket, wratchet, 14mm spanner, 17mm spanner, screw driver, new filter. a car to change filter on.

the filter shown above is a non genuine, you can tell as they use copper washers.

Steps: 1

to start off, open your fuel filler door, and undo the fuel cap to relive the pressure in the fuel tank.

STEP: 2

get your 14mm spanner ( pipe spanners are better ) crack the 14mm nut Slowly ( as some fuel may squirt out from pressure left built up in the rail ) and unscrew the fuel line from the filter.

STEP: 3

get your 17mm ring spanner and a big screw driver, place yor screw driver as shown in the pic bellow, this will help stop the filter from moving as you apply pressure on the 17mm bolt as you crack it. take off the 17mm bolt.

STEP: 4

follow the lines back and loosen them from there mounts off the firewall. you need them to move out the way as you try to lift the filter out the way.

STEP: 5

undo the two 10mm bolts that hold the fuel filter in place, see green arrows below.

STEP: 6

Now the fun begins, move the filter around, back and forth, and get it out. On a 95 lude with ABS this is a bit challenging, remove the filter from the car. Carefull as it will be full of fuel. Empty the fuel somewhere safe before disposing of your old fuel filter.

STEP: 7

remove the old filter from its bracket. undo the two 10mm bolts shown in the green arrows.

STEP: 8

place the new filter on the bracket, ensure you line up the groove shown by the red arrows on the bracket and the filter. Do up the two 10mm bolts you previously removed.

make sure you lined up the filter in the bracket OK

STEP: 9

refit the filter in revers from how you removed it. To help, put the fuel line in the filter that has the 14mm nut in before you mount the filter to the car, hand tighten the 14mm nut into the fuel filter THEN bolt the filter to the car body.

then put in the 17mm bolt in the other line, make sure you replace the aluminum crush washers, see pic below.

STEP: 10

now its time to tighten the 14mm nut, do not over tighten it, but make sure its tight enough not to leak, also tighten the 17mm bolt the same way. refit any mounts you undid.

Prime the fuel pump 3 or 4 times and check the fuel filter for any signs of leaks. if ok, start the car and again check for leaks. If there are no leaks your done, you have done well. If you are getting fuel leaks, DO NOT RUN THE CAR until you fixed them.

BB6 Prelude filters are more challenging than the Civic and Integras but not so bad, if you have a CD5 accord, I hope the last person who changed it dint do it up super tight. 1st time round from the factory there where done up a bit to tight and you would have alot of fun undoing them.

the concept of this DIY is the same throu out the Honda range, you might have to remove the cruise control actuator on some cars, just use common sence and you will be ok.

please dont smoke while chaning your fuel filter

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk.
    Last edited by ECU-MAN; 07-05-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    you don't want more PQ points do you john?
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Car:
    twin GX160's
    nah,

its all for the members Wyn

Car:
    twin GX160's
    ahh thats is why we relive the pressure from the tank 1st

but your right Ill Add it as it could be a bit of a surprise..

cheers for that
    Last edited by ECU-MAN; 28-03-2006 at 08:12 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    anyone want to change my fuel filter? its been to 2 mechanics to get changed but they cant get it off! Not much room in the engine bay!

Car:
    twin GX160's
    lol

CD5 plus H22A

good combination, bring it to SA ill do it for ya

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    thanks for the offer I wish i was closer to s.a.

Member Array
    Car:
    happy car
    hmmz, ecu-man i think u need to change mine (whenever i have spare time :S, oh and also my cv boot or more.)

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5>GD3>CL9
    hi, any suggestions on how to get that 17mm nut off? coz the one on my car is real tite!!!

TRAVDM Array
    Car:
    Lots of Hondas
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Honda
    hi, any suggestions on how to get that 17mm nut off? coz the one on my car is real tite!!!
    u cant get it off? damn try a breaker bar man, should be THAT tight.
    oh wrd!

Car:
    twin GX160's
    if you have a genuine filter you can put a 19mm spanner under the pipe

between the red lines in bellow pic, or use the screw driver as shown in the pic in the DIY

Last edited by ECU-MAN; 07-05-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    nice write-up once again John
    I looked at my carby EG one just before and the lines just seem to be connected to the filter with hose clamps. Looks alot easier than the EFi version. I'm going to disconnect the lines and drain the fuel tank later on (need to find some jerry cans).

At trade school they drummed it into us to relieve the fuel pressure by removing the fuel pump relay and cranking the car until it dies. This relieves the pressure. If this is not possible, then disconnect the fuel pump by pulling the plug out of it (accessed either via the boot or under the rear seat. Rear seat in EG) then crank it until the car cuts out. I think this is probably just being anal though and they have to teach us the correct methods. One of the teachers said to just put a rag over the fittings when disconnecting a line and maybe wear some safety glasses and you should be fine.