Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Teflon coated piston skirts

I seen that CTR pistons have teflon coating on the skirts.

And, also I can get it done for $50 per piston (my engine is apart now)

And, I am just wondering, what improvements are there?

Worthwhile?

Member Array
    Look at my car page. I run cooler, the oil get back to the pan to cool and with the motor running cooler there's HP to be gained. Hell yes it's worth it. You can get more stuff coated to. Ceramic coatings for the top of the pistons, cylinder domes and intake/exhaust runners. Check out Calico once their site comes back!! I have been happy and $50 a piston is the going rate. Should include any shipping to.

i think the OEM coatign is a molybdenum coating, not teflon, but does the same job of reducing friction...

and is what helps the ITR engine to rev so high with such a poor rod/stroke ratio... (not an issue on B16A)
    B20VTEC - since 2002

But if the engine oil never reaches optimum working temperature, isn't that bad for wear and tear?

But, it seems like I may do that then!

Banned Array
    Car:
    Gen3 CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell
    i think the OEM coatign is a molybdenum coating, not teflon, but does the same job of reducing friction...

and is what helps the ITR engine to rev so high with such a poor rod/stroke ratio... (not an issue on B16A)
    According to Mr Widmer, it's the bearing quality, design & material that facilitates it.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Don't think that molybdenum coated skirts are the end-all of high revvability. Even the Jazz VTi has moly coated piston skirts. As ProECU says, it is the bearings, materials, design and also perfect balancing and lightening.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

try to keep it on topic fella's... the subject is quite clearly "if coating pistons provides improvements"... (not "is it the be all and end all of high revability", which it clearly isn't)

and spetz - any coating will not reduce friction so far that the oil doesnt heat up... the coating only provides friction reduction between the piston and cylinder wall, no where else...
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    And I was answering to his worthwhile part. He did ask if it was worthwhile.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi

I have since had the domes cermic coated and modified to reduce heat absorbtion. unles ur running a hi-po motor, i wouldnt recommend cermic coating the head side of the combustion chambers though. heat has to go somewhere and the heat is the perfect place with plenty of cooling!

yes its worthwhile. $50 is a small price IMO.

less friction which means less expansion of the skirts. which means ur clearences are kept and can run them tighter.
    Last edited by Weq; 29-03-2006 at 07:15 PM.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Will they make more power, or is it a safety and longetivity thing?

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    more safety then anything
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Well, I have a V6, so is it worth the $300 considering stock it didn't have that?