Member Array
    Car:
    99' Civic Em1

exhaust leak or cat convertor?

Hey guys, ever since i bought my prelude everytime i would accelerate, when it would hit roughly 4000 rpm the sound of my exhaust would go wowowo (btw i know its funny tryna type a noise lol) like a up/down noise. Im not sure if my exhaust has a leak or if its my cat convertor.

the problem is i got no hoist to actually check it out, so id like to here ur opinions and check the possibilities.

Member Array
    Car:
    eg5
    Just bring it to any exhaust shop or mech and they'll have a look for you.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Integra
    vtec kicking in yo
    get a rag or use your bare hands, cover your muffler completely and get someone to rev the car slightly and see if you can hear any hissing noise. ( LEAK )
    If not, you are fine.
    Cat you may be able to tell if one side is hotter than the other, personally i wouldn't test it with any of my body parts or if your checking if its gutted, should give a tingy noise if you hit it or gas smells like rotten egg

Goodluck

Member Array
    Car:
    99' Civic Em1
    by cover do you been block the muffler???

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Heres a top idea. Take it an exhaust shop and they will tell you what it is!

Just do a visual inspection. If you see cracks then its cracked. check all the gaskets to see if any are lose.

Jack your car up with a car jack mate dont be lazy.

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude VTI-R
    Mine makes a weird noise around there too on stock exhaust but can only hear it outside the car, I've heard many stock preludes sounding like it and not sure if its supposed to be like it, It could just be the honda rasp lol.

Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    Heres a top idea. Take it an exhaust shop and they will tell you what it is!

Just do a visual inspection. If you see cracks then its cracked. check all the gaskets to see if any are lose.

Jack your car up with a car jack mate dont be lazy.

lmao this guy deserves a bajillion rep.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Prelude
    Had a similar issue with my prelude. Got an exhaust guy check it out, turns out the bolts joining the manifold and front pipe were not tight enough. The guy tightened them for me without charge. I drove off and didn't notice the "exhaust leak" sound anymore.
    He also told me to take the manifold heat shield cover off when the car has cooled and see if the manifold is cracked.. looked OK to me.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyquan View Post
    Had a similar issue with my prelude. Got an exhaust guy check it out, turns out the bolts joining the manifold and front pipe were not tight enough. The guy tightened them for me without charge. I drove off and didn't notice the "exhaust leak" sound anymore.
    He also told me to take the manifold heat shield cover off when the car has cooled and see if the manifold is cracked.. looked OK to me.
    Sounds like a 'oh your fuel pump holder is broken, replace it. That's why your car isn't doing to well on dyno'

But seriously take it to an exhaust shop
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum