Newcomer Array
    Car:
    5th Gen. Prelude VTi-R

paint protection?

hi guys,

my family is just finalising purchase of a new black 06 jazz.

we have the option to get the paint protection as well, but are not sure; do you have it, and in your opinion, is it worth it?

cheers
    brentsky

Dealer pure profit for snake oil. They have already charged you $1,500 for a car wash (dealer delivery fee).

Ask the dealer why Honda paint is so bad that it requires protection? Puts them on the spot as they want to sell you their pure profit paint protection but they can't exactly say the factory paint is terrible. Also ask him if they have sold much rust proofing lately for all aluminium NSXs.

If like most dealers they have a bimbo to sell the aftermarket treatments. You have to ask yourself if the stuff was worth it why would they have to resort to such a tactic.

You can put the money towards a lot more useful things.

As for fabric protection just pop into the supermarket and grab a can of 3M scotchgard. For window tinting the dealer makes a minimum 100% markup so it should understandably be cheaper just to go straight to the window tinter themselves. For sound proofing just go to a car audio place and get dynamating done because it actually works.

If concerned about the paint put the money towards some good cleaning, polish and wax products. A lot of people report great results with clay bars. Despite the lies and misinformation the dealers perpetuate nothing is going to stay on the outside of your car for years. I remember they tried to claim 5 years with a straight face and that its backed by some unexercisable warranty.

When I bought the Jazz the sales guy just said to me "Your not interested in any protection crap or other extras are you?" He was smart enough to not bother BS'ing me and just get on with my quick, easy, no fuss sale. No point wheeling out the bimbo that day.
    Last edited by vividjazz; 16-04-2006 at 06:03 PM.

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    I was always told to avoid the stuff as vividjazz suggested.
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2,3MPS,VESPA
    two words...RIP OFF...
    plus it doesnt work....everyone i know who has had it done wishes they had'nt and end up using wax and polish on their cars anyway...
    the paint ends up looking real dull and it looks like it needs a good polish to bring it back to looking new....
    as everyone else suggests, just buy some good polish and wax and wash it at least once a week and it will keep looking new..

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    5th Gen. Prelude VTi-R
    awesome, thanks guys!

yeah, having a black prelude i spose u dnt need that crap, if its looked after properly - washed and waxed/polished regularly

cheer!

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTI-S
    Quote Originally Posted by brentsky
    awesome, thanks guys!

yeah, having a black prelude i spose u dnt need that crap, if its looked after properly - washed and waxed/polished regularly

cheer!
    Paint protection does work to and extent, but getting it through a dealer is plain rip off just get it direct and save you a couple of hundred bucks

Especially with black paint. A guy we know ask who in NT does paint protection Own a MY00 WRX . I knew straight away why he asked. He has a black car doesn't want to clean and wax it all the time to keep it clean just use the solution provided dilute in water. Wash it and dry. It comes out just as good as waxing.

But if you a person that like washing your car and spending your time thats great.

I have seen people wax there cars without paint protection and it comes out just as good. I have seen cars with paint protection and the paint last just as good.

All comes down to if you can afford and whether you believe its a waste of money.

My parents camry had paint protection, we he works he parks under trees and bat dropping are always on the car all the time, being the lazy person he is, he doesn't bother cleaning it leaves it over night at a day or so . Guess what the paints still intact. Usually bat droppings acids are so strong it eats away the paint.

My lancer when I got 8 years ago and still have, 4 weeks into owning it i copped some bat droppings. I couldn't see it at night but wake up morning and see and wash it straight away. And while I was washing it paint started to crack around that section and paint was like crumbling away.

My mate recently got paint protection on his Euro but directly from the company, plus other things like tint and clear flim bonnet protector. And he is one stingy person but sees the value in it.
    "When the christmas light drops the b***sh*t
    stops"
    04 Jazz VTI-S
    99 WRX
    97 Lancer MR

what do i write here? Array
    Car:
    Jazz Vti-s
    read the manual and it'll say that paint protection will void warranty on any existing paint work on car

.. everything they try to sell u at the dealers is a rip off.. like that $300 or so dollars for metalic paint.. when its already on the car.. and the type-r oils and servicing is crap.. u pay more just to get ur car detailed.. the type-r oils are made from the same factory as castrol..
    I haven't driven a Honda in years. :/ Does my honda lawn mower and whipper snipper count?