Member Array
    Car:
    gogomobile

Trunk Open Light always on. Need some help

I was trying to clean up the mess of wiring with my alarm.

In the process of cleaning up the wads of electrical tape and rerouting I accidentally snipped the trunk trigger wire from the alarm.

Now I soldered this back together and put the whole alarm back in its spot, but when i went to start the car the hatch light is now always on. And when I arm the alarm the alarm sounds a chirp to tell me that the hatch is open, so for now I have disconnected the trunk trigger, the trunk trigger is connected to the alarm from the boot of the car, tapping into the green wire with silver dots.

Here is what I have tried.

1. Unplugged the electrical connection by the trunk near the lock, this did not make the light go out.

2. Looked by the hatch release by the drivers seat, couldn't see anything wrong.

3. unplugged connections under the dash, found the plug which made all the dash lights go out, hatch close light went out.

4. Pushed on the hatch to see if it was a latch issue, it wasnt

5. Latch screws are on freakin tight, i couldn't get them to budge.

Questions.

1. Why wont the light go out when i unplug the connection by the hatch ? I thought this would make it go out.

2. What else can I try to do to figure out where the problem is coming from ?

Thanks any advice or tips would be appreciated.

I have disconnected the trunk sensor to stop the alarm from going off on that circuit.

I'm wondering where I should start to try and figure out whats wrong ?

I have tried to find the trunk wire under the dash, but there are literally 20 - 30 green wires with different dots and colors on them. Does anyone one know which harness to look at or where to start. So far i have spent 3 days trying to fix this.

any ideas would be welcomed. I did check the connections on the hatch end, and they all seem to be good.
    "When a man has reached the stage of having just about everything a woman could ask for, she usually does."

/Oo ___H___ oO\
    |=_/_______\_=|

Learn how to detail properly

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    Keep the elec probs coming peoplz,i,thought id never be able to contribute to this site.
    The green wire is grounded somewhere(ie screwed thru,pinched,sharp solder piercing insul tape,etc).The green one tracks a path between Hatch lite & hatch switch & taps off this wire in green again to make its way down the drivers side back to the cluster indicator lite.
    The fault could also be on the wire going back to alarm,but this is not the case if Hatch open indicator lite is still on when you disconnected trigger wire(assuming u disconnected from solder joint end not alarm end).
    If hatch open lite goes off when solder joint broken then follow alarm wire to find ground fault
    If not follow green wire to find fault.
    Start in areas you think might be obviously screwed or pinched,the only simple way to narrow it down is cut wire maybe half way or somewhere convenient and test continuity to ground(ie chassis),if continuous then this is the problem leg, but this just asks for more probs,no joint is a good joint,*did i just say that*well no legal ones anyway
    Im assuming after all this that you did actually disconnect the right connector to the hatch(its not a boot is it?,dont worry makes no difference,ive just owned too many hatchs) switch & its not just a sticky hatch switch
    Just check your ground as well off the hatch switch,while your doing the simple things,if the hatch open lite went offwhen alarm trigger disconnected,actually try this first now i think about it more....
    Hope there is no auto elecs on this forum....*looks over shoulder*.......*checks brake lines*....................*peeks under bed*...
    Last edited by CRXer; 24-04-2006 at 05:42 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Eva
    does the light go off when the hatch is actually open?
    CL9 Euro Luxury

Toda - 127kW | Wakefield - 1:19.1 | WSID - 15.4

QUALITY K-SERIES AND CL9 EURO PARTS FOR SALE

Member Array
    Car:
    gogomobile
    nope it doesn't go off when the hatch is open.

its a bitch getting under the dash, so im gonna give this a thorough shot and try tracing the wire back from the hatch.

just gotta find a weekend to do it.

thanks for all the help guys
    "When a man has reached the stage of having just about everything a woman could ask for, she usually does."

/Oo ___H___ oO\
    |=_/_______\_=|

Member Array
    Car:
    '11 WRX
    have you checked out the switch on the trunk to see if it has erroded or not? your light should be off if your circuit is complete. so you have made an error in your connections. try putting a multimeter where your switch is at the rear of the trunk and see what kind off reading you get.

Member Array
    Car:
    gogomobile
    I finally figured it out last night, i was thinking about it and then went out to try something with the ground.

I reattached the ground and boom the light went out.

Thanks a lot guys

/Oo ___H___ oO\
    |=_/_______\_=|