Are RACV/RACQ/NRMA etc vehicle inspections worth the money?

Are RACV/RACQ/NRMA etc vehicle inspections worth the money?

I think u pay around $120-150 for an inspection, but are they really helpful?

I know the best thing would be to get a mechanically minded mate to inspect it for u, but what if ur friends are all lost kunts? (like mine)

edit:
    asking this because the RWC only says that the car is driveable on the road, it doesn't say that it'll last for 2 weeks or 20 years
    Last edited by dan_lee; 08-06-2006 at 06:24 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    737 - Ventura Bus
    Then the only thing you can do is learn ya self mate!

I wouldnt go through one of those checks. My friend got a car inspected by RACV, they said all, clear, no accidents. Turns out the car had been rolled before, and written off. Im sure some OH's wouldnt mind going with u to check out ure car...where in melb do u live?

best is to learn to do it yaself...pretty sure we have a list somewhere here about what to do when checking out a car...

1 - get a compression test, gives you a good idea as to the condition of the engine.

2 - check thoroughly for oil leaks.

3 - Check all of the gaps between panels - ie, between bonnet and fenders, etc etc, and make sure that it is even all around. if it is not this can indicate that the car has been in some sort of accident before.

4 - Look at the bolts holding down the bonnet to the hinges...if the paint is still perfect then you know that the bonnet has not been taken off, indicating that there bonnet as never been substancially damages, thus indicating that there probably have not been any major frontal impacts.

5 - get under the car and look at the chassis. Do you see what looks to be welds? Are there pieces of metal that have been welded onto the chassis? Does the chassis look bent? crumpled or rusted anywhere?

6 - hows the alignment? very off alignment can indicate bent control arms or suspension compnentry.

7 - look at the odometer, do all the numbers line up or are they a bit up and down? they should like up straight, or else it has been tampered with.

8 - if the car say it has 42,000km's and the steering wheel looks REALLY old...then ask some questions.

9 - make sure you call vicroads and see if the car has history (or your local traffic management authority/vehicle register)

10 - test all the electronics. BE ANAL it is a car that you are investing money into, you can't afford to overlook things.
    aircon, headlights, mirrors etc.

11 - turn the car to ON, but don't start it and make sure all of the appropriate lights (abs, srs, etc etc lights come on and are functioning properly) lights like abs and srs should come on when the car is turned to on. Usually if these things aren't working properly, people will just remove the bulb from behind the dash.

12 - check the paint in the sun. look for things like colour variations or overspray, these all indicate a respray.

thats all i can think of from the top of my head...i havn't slept in like 30 hours...freakin uni assignments...

btw, thats in no particular order, and the car doesn't need to meet all of these needs to be worth buying, however doing these checks will enable you to get the best idea of what u are looking at.
    Last edited by bungsai; 08-06-2006 at 07:32 PM.
    If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A EVO X
    yes very worth it if your not to sure what to look for they will find anything and everything that is wrong/not wrong with the car you also get a report on the car that they do up. very worth the $100-$150.

Member Array
    Car:
    Silver Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by LowEk
    yes very worth it if your not to sure what to look for they will find anything and everything that is wrong/not wrong with the car you also get a report on the car that they do up. very worth the $100-$150.
    Depends who you get some are really good others are pretty average.
    It’s really best to try and educate yourself on what to look for or find a mechanic that you trust to have the car checked. The RACV Checks are a bit pot luck.

Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A EVO X
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR Coupe
    Depends who you get some are really good others are pretty average.
    It’s really best to try and educate yourself on what to look for or find a mechanic that you trust to have the car checked. The RACV Checks are a bit pot luck.
    yeh you are correct there but from what i have heard from people they are very good but thats RACQ. ive never had one done myself because i know what im look at and for.

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro Lux 5AT AB
    RACV also give you a warranty of sorts for 30 days after the inspection, where they will make a 'reimbursement' for the cost of repair of a mechanical failure not identified on their report. Naturally, "Conditions apply".

It's sufficiently vague to suggest that their 'conditions' allow them all sorts of reasons to get out of paying, and also it's not clear whether they will 'contribute' towards the cost, or actually cover cost of the repairs. \

Something to consider.

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    all the above mentioned are just as bad/vague as "Ultratune" in terms of knowledge... they know a bit of everything but not enough of it.

its always better to get someone who knows the car better.

when i was car shopping ages ago, i had a different mate lined up for a different manufacturer... just like i'd ask anyone here the big questions if i was to buy a Honda...

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Civic FD1, 08 Lancer
    I think if you're clueless (like me) then it's worth paying a bit for peace of mind- and besides, if something goes wrong later on, they're liable right? After all, they did give their professional opinion/advice which was later found to be insufficient/incorrect.

the vehicle checks are very "basic" and only really for concerned parents buying a kids first car IMO.
    Take the car out with a friend who has an idea and give it a good once over - dont be shy to give it a good rev once warm , watch for blue/grey smoke , check out the engine bay , under the body/bumper for signs of accident repair etc...etc etc etc.

Member Array
    Car:
    737 - Ventura Bus
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin
    the vehicle checks are very "basic" and only really for concerned parents buying a kids first car IMO.
    agreeed
    If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.