Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK>DC5R>S2K&JAZ

Lightbulb DIY: CTR Headlight for EK (without oven)

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

after searching i couldn't really find a proper DIY CTR headlight IN Ozhonda, just links redirecting to other websites so i thought why not do one just for Ozhonda first write up, we see how it goes or and exuse the camera phone photo quality

AIM: Create a copy look-a-like Civic Type R style headlight and save you 300 odd bucks

TOOLS:
    -/ Colour spray of the choice you want
    -/ alcohol hole and towel
    -/ Heater, blowdryer
    -/ Oven if you wish (i didnt use it cos the first time i did, it melted my light)
    -/ Screwdriver flathead and philip head
    -/ Selleys all clear water resistant silicon seal
    -/ someone yo assist you would be great too (my 10yo bro)
    -/ Patience y0~!

STEPS:

1/ Remove front bumper by remove the 5 plastic clips on top of bumper, 1 on each side of bumer in the fenders and 2 below the bumper. NOTE: dotted lines mean its UNDER the car and CANT BE SEEN!

2/ remove headlight. i did left one first. there are 2 screws on top. 1 on side (can be seen easily after removing bumper), and 1 on right just inside the grill area. NOTE: dotted circle mean its UNDER the car and CANT BE SEEN!

3/ seperating the headlight. Place headlight seal towards the heater for approx 10mins (depending on tempereture of heater) and see if it melted the silicon. TIP: its good to use your flathead screwdriver to make alittle gap first to allow heat to get in.

NOTE:i decided to use a heater instead of an oven because last time i tried oven it almost melt my headlight. Also the heat from the heater was only hot enough to soft my silicon and not melt the plastic. Ofcos you may want to try it at your own risk. (150-220 degrees preheat and check it every 2 mins)

because i used an heater i can not heat the whole headlight at the same time, i had to open the headlight bit by bit. Initial opening is the hardest process but it gets easier and easier as more gap is opened. here is some tricks i used.

use a 10cents piece and put it in between to gap so the silicon wont stick back into place. then put it back infront the heater to soften the next part.
    you could also use the screwdriver to open up small gaps at your own risk.

here is what it looks like when its all seperated.

4/ remove the chrome housing. unscrew the two philip screws from the plastic housing and remove it. (its obvious where they are, so no photo here. make sure they are TWO!)

heres what it looks like when its seperated.

5/ remove chrome. use alcohol and rag to rub all areas you wish to paint. rub it for awhile till chrome starts to fall off. they are alternative methods here also. up to you. if your lazy just paint it straight away

1st up a light coat, then wait till its dry then reapply a heavier coat. do 3-5 times or until you reach the desire colour you want. i just did black for maximum contrast between my white car. however dark gun metal grey is a nice choice also. you may wish to apply clear coat here also if you want the glossier look, but i prefer matt finish so i left it.

6/ put it all back together with a good silicon. i used Selleys water resistant to also keep the water out. let it dry and put it back onto your car. NOTE: before sealing it might want to check both headlight for dirty inside the lense and whether if both colour paint is the same shade.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

~THE END~
    Last edited by EK4R; 13-06-2006 at 03:17 AM.

nicee... i gotta see in real life now .

recovering.... Array
    Car:
    Nicole
    nice man ... 1+ rep pt

Member Array
    Car:
    Eva
    for reference, the screwdriver you're talking about with 4 bits is called a "Phillips Screwdriver".
    CL9 Euro Luxury

Toda - 127kW | Wakefield - 1:19.1 | WSID - 15.4

QUALITY K-SERIES AND CL9 EURO PARTS FOR SALE

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    nice work dude

looks good as well.

awsome

Member Array
    Car:
    EK>DC5R>S2K&JAZ
    ah yea thx for clearing that up.

at the time of DIY i didnt have digital camera only had gf's mobile so yea. thought it was better than nothing. one photo speaks a thousand words...or something like that

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXi
    haha i was wondering if adam was ever going to do that to the car
    since he never got around to it im glad you did
    good job mate
    ill definately be doing this to my car
    CXi POWER

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1 Replica
    did u also spray the reflector for the signal?
    from what i can see u did, and also what i did.
    now it doesnt light up as much as it use to when indicating. hahaha

Member Array
    Car:
    EK>DC5R>S2K&JAZ
    actually its fine. i did mine but wat i did was add a few coat of clear coat in that area and it lights up fine. make sure your bulb is clean and bright if not you could always buy LED amber bulbs for 20 odd bux that will do the trick also

TRIPLE OG Array
    Car:
    b18c crx/that's
    good write up moite rep +1
    www.lozzz.com - car spotting, food and other random crap from Japan

recovering.... Array
    Car:
    Nicole
    yea when i did mine i use maskin tape to take up the indicator reflector... so it stiils reflects and bright now...
    but takes ages to mask it up as the angle/arc is hetick..

Member Array
    Car:
    ek <3
    haha cute little asian boy.

man this write-up deserves a PQ point.

good work