Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil change !

Ok - so it may be pretty dam self explanitory...but from recent and achived discussion...it seems some users seem to not even be able to change their underpants...let alone their cars oil !

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim : To simply change you vehicles oil at the 5000km reccommended intervals ! Why pay $100 to change it when all it SHOULD cost is $25 for oil and a 30c washer ? Look on......

Required : 1 x container of preffered engine oil , 1 x new OEM honda "sump plug" washer , 1 x "sump nut sized wrench" and a small funnel.

Steps :
    Let your engine idle for a few minutes to circulate the oil throughout....then turn it off.
    First , make up a disposable oil-container - either a tray or cut out a old container- which can be re-used for future oil-changes !!!

Next , pop bonnet , and unscrew the oil cap ontop of the cam cover.

Now , lay under the front of the car , locate the sump , and locate the sump plug

Position yourself , and the oil catch container underneath the sump , and position your tool onto the bolt head

Contain a good grip, preferably one hand upon the bolt head/tool shaft , and one upon the end of your tool - and slowly but firmly release the bolt.
    After a few good turns , the bolt will begin to loosley sit - Take your tool away , and hand loosen - preparign for a mass of yucky oil ! *Wear gloves people ! Used oil can give u skin cancer!*

Let the oil drain until one or two drops every minute or so - then take sump plug and replace the washer with a new OEM honda item

Place plug with new washer back into hole , and hand tighten (with tool ofcourse)to a firm torque. Do not over tighten, as it may pre-stress the washer.

Next , get back up of yo ass - and place a funnel into the fill hole -
    fill with your reccommended amount of engine oil - about 3 litres or so. . .

Screw the lid back on , dispose of used oil properly , and turn on car.
    Let it idle for a minute or so - then turn off.
    Check around sump for any signs of leaks , and check oil level upon dipstick and add/take away oil if needed.

And done !

Remember , every 5000kms you should change your oil - and every 10,000kms change both your oil and oil filter ! Easy !

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 BB6 Prelude VTiR
    Great guide that.

Nice rubber gloves... LOL
    Clever idea with the expired oil container too....

Would be a good idea to JACK UP THE CAR - especially for the horizontally challenged and the first timers so they can see everything they need to see.....

*Wear gloves people ! Used oil can give u skin cancer!*

My white ass complexion needs all the help it can get in this harsh ozzy sun

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9 Integra LS
    Great DIY Hank!

Good idea with the used oil container. I have a tray but its now too tall to use under the car without jacking it up.

Also, with the gloves, I wear thin cotton ones, and then rubber ones over them, stops sweat inside the glove but keeps oil and stuff off my dentist-quality hands.
    Too old for bodykits

everything can give you cancer these days

Member Array
    Car:
    E EG-6
    i change both oil and oil filter and brake fluid every 5000kms and only cost $100buks...coz i'm using mobil gold oil... so might as well let the mechanic do it....coz its cheaper ...just for the mobil gold oil cost around $90 already...

Member Array
    Car:
    E EG-6
    ben would u change my oil for $25 using mobil gold oil ?? :P :P :P nice DIY n e ways...

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Good work BReN!
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

i cant get under my car without jacking it up...
    also a question:
    what happens if i use the old washer??? (actually ive already done it )

Member Array
    Car:
    EK VTi-R
    hey! howcome u need to change the washer??
    nice diy benn!

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    You don't HAVE to change it every oil change. I've used my old washer a few times. Main thing is to look out for the thread on the sump plug wearing out.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Ozhonda Trader Array
    Car:
    EGK24A
    Quote Originally Posted by OLM-02R
    ben would u change my oil for $25 using mobil gold oil ?? :P :P :P nice DIY n e ways...
    very funny
    mobil gold is $86 retail.
    u got $4 rip off by charlie.
    JDMyard Pty Ltd
    25 / 317-321 Woodpark Rd , Smithfield , NSW 2164. Contact : 02 97572364
    Email : yonas@jdmyard.com , Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/JDMYard
    www.JDMyard.com