Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil change !

Member Array
    Car:
    Falling apart ED
    no point changing the oil if your not going to do the filter. Washer only needs to be replaced if its dagamged. Sump plug should be fairly tight. bit of a push the 3 bangs or so with your fist. Also with cars pre 120,000 you should use an engine flush, helps prevent contamination from the old oil (but if your using the old filter... :roll: ) Also removes deposits.

But if you have an older car with more k's dont use it as it will remove all the deposits and make your eninge "rattly" as such. You get the picture.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    Nice writeup for noobs like me. Fantastic shots of pouring the oil in and final Scorpio pic. Who was your able cameraman? :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Rufes1
    no point changing the oil if your not going to do the filter. Washer only needs to be replaced if its dagamged. Sump plug should be fairly tight. bit of a push the 3 bangs or so with your fist. Also with cars pre 120,000 you should use an engine flush, helps prevent contamination from the old oil (but if your using the old filter... :roll: ) Also removes deposits.

But if you have an older car with more k's dont use it as it will remove all the deposits and make your eninge "rattly" as such. You get the picture.
    Is there a point telling the blokes ur gettin a root.....when all your going to is have a wank... ? :roll:

The amount of "contanimation" is very marginal if not at all , oils today are either synthetic or very well produced and after 5,000ks (not 20,000ks like some people ive know lol )the oil should still be quite ok.
    It is the same prinicple as changing your fuel filter every 10,000ks , but changing your fuel tank every 400 or so - you do use oil in your car Rufes and not chocolate milk ?

But all valid good points.

I personally use alittle bit thicker oil (castrol gtx3) to "fill the gaps" in my ZC dinosaur.....anything thinner or "better la!" just makes the whole thing ratty !

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Another thing to note.

DO NOT flush your oil down the drain or just thow it out. Used oil has do be disposed of properly.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

i just got my crx a month or so ago, so i am gonna change oil and stuff within the next week.

just wanna know where i dispose of the old oil? and where i get a new honda sup plug washer? cos i decided i would start working on my car rather than paying a dodgy mechanic

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW021
    call up your local council and ask dem...they should point you in the right direction concerning disposing of old oil.

Disabled Array
    Car:
    Type-MO
    Quote Originally Posted by toE
    call up your local council and ask dem...they should point you in the right direction concerning disposing of old oil.
    Just use it to water your neighbours flowers :shock:

Member Array
    Car:
    S15
    Hi all. went and got some oil today, and the guy at supercheap helped me out. I have a 93 DC2 Gsi and it has around 140 k's on it. I decided i wanted a thicker oil due to the age of the engine, so i was looking for around 15W-40 or similar. Now Mobil 1 only came in 5w-40 i think it was, very thin anyways. So that lead me to a choice of pennzoil or valvoline (both synthetic oils). I decided on the pennzoil synthetic blend 15w-50 and it was $33 i think. Now my question to you guys is if this is suitable for my application? Also i went and bought a oil filter (valvoline one) which is a Z79A which i think i read in the ryco manual thye had there is the right type (can any1 confirm this?) Also the guy at supercheap was very very helpful and told me to pay $3 for a engine oil flush as it is necessary for each oil change, is he right?HE also stated it is extremely important especially if like what im doing im changing oils with different viscosities etc. Any help is greatly appreciated! Keep the good work up!

PS. I noticed after my last service my car is rather chattery (tappets were adjusted at the same service so its weird), but i think its just cause im noticing it more than i used to. Will a thicker oil make the engine a little less noisy?

Edit: I have been reading around and it seems 15w-50 would be too thick and heavy? Maybe a 10w-40 would be better? Who makes a good oil in this, I can return the pennzoil and pay more, it doesnt bother me, i just want a good oil!!!

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Mobil 1 should be fine. Its thin when cold and thick when warm (which you need IMO).
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    S15
    Well I changed my oil today, used the pnnzoil as above. A few notes to mention, it seemed my car needed alot more than 3 litres ofo il for some reason ??? No leaks anywhere, but it probly got around 4 litres in it so im a tad curious? Also, a little bit of oil got splashed or spilt around the exhaust manifold there round the dipstick holder thing. When i came home after taking the car for a drive after the change (note the temperature is freezing!) i opened up the bonnet and found the engine to smell (im guessing like burnt oil :P) and a little bit of hot smoke rising around from the dipstick area. Would this just be the spilt oil burning? Or could this be more serious? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Dont wanna destroy my engine doing a damn oil change!!!

Prob just the oil burning off ur exhust manifold - nothing to worry about dood.
    Another thing , If u topped up just alittle too much - the engine will burn off excess oil for you - resulting in a slightly smokey ride (from your exhaust ofcourse) for a couple of days. NOT your engine about to blow up lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    S15
    Ok thanks man! That settled me alot Also want to thank you for the write up, no need to pay mechanics to do shit i could do myself!