Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[Euro] Steering Wheel Lights

Heyallz!

I'm not sure if this post should be in another section - anyway, I have a minor issue. I've had a new head unit (a very nice Sony MEX-5DI) installed by Lifestyle. It's all well but after they installed it, my steering wheel lights don't work anymore. I asked them what's up with that, and they said that the steering wheel lights are connected to the wiring loom of the original in-dash head unit, and therefore, does not power the lights anymore since it's been disconnected. Oh by the way, the audio controls of the steering wheel doesn't work now either (but that doens't matter as I'm not using the original, but I can still 'turn on' the original unit, as well as load CD's, but there is no sound).

Does anyone else have an 05+ model (that does have steering wheel lights) and have installed an aftermarket head unit that can get the lights to work? And can I rewire it myself if possible?

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Euro '05 Std Man

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    If you know what wires power the steering wheel lights, then you can hook them up to an ignition power source if the steering wheel can take 12v. You can tap into one of the fuse holders under the drivers dash, but be sure to tap into one thats an ignition source only (one thats not always on).
    Last edited by EuroDude; 05-07-2006 at 01:07 PM.
    .© ♪

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1998 Modded V6-L
    You can buy some one Ebay as I recently bought some new paddles from ebay, quite good actually very cheap.
    Variable Timing Electronic Control

Sorry Honda Enthusiast, but I'm not sure if you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, thx EuroDude, but I do remember asking lifestyle if they could connect it to the 12V rails somewhere in the car, and they said no, it's requires some low-voltage power, rather than the full 12V
    Euro '05 Std Man

Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Euro
    I got an aftermarket head unit installed on my car, and the lights in the steering light have no problem. I dont think the installer even touch the fuse, etc etc. your installer must've cut the wrong cable

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Yeah you should be able to reconnect it to the stock HU since its still active.
    .© ♪

Great! But... now, how on earth am I gonna find that cable...!!! Starting to sound like more trouble than its worth. I wouldn't even know how to get behind the dash to get to the wiring loom for the stereo anyway.
    Euro '05 Std Man

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    The wires are colour coded so you should be able to match them up again.
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    98 VTi-R Prelude
    if ur having that much trouble with it and ur stressing take it to a car electronics dude and hell sort it out for u....at a cost but yeah

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro "CL9"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranial
    Heyallz!

I'm not sure if this post should be in another section - anyway, I have a minor issue. I've had a new head unit (a very nice Sony MEX-5DI) installed by Lifestyle. It's all well but after they installed it, my steering wheel lights don't work anymore. I asked them what's up with that, and they said that the steering wheel lights are connected to the wiring loom of the original in-dash head unit, and therefore, does not power the lights anymore since it's been disconnected. Oh by the way, the audio controls of the steering wheel doesn't work now either (but that doens't matter as I'm not using the original, but I can still 'turn on' the original unit, as well as load CD's, but there is no sound).

Does anyone else have an 05+ model (that does have steering wheel lights) and have installed an aftermarket head unit that can get the lights to work? And can I rewire it myself if possible?

Any help would be much appreciated!

If you can still turn on the head unit and load CD's, providing no wire have being cut. You should be able to reconnect the lights wiring back to the head unit because you still have power to the head unit. Am I making any sense here?
    Last edited by eurosp; 05-07-2006 at 05:23 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    JazzVibeS/Prado
    If the buttons don't work anymore why do you need the lights, so you can see what doesn't work anymore?

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Cruise Control
    .© ♪