Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by spetz
    Front is either 17 or 18mm
    ANd rear is 18mm
    They are both hollow as they are just stock Mitsubishi swaybars

I got toe at 0 all around I am pretty sure, and camber is -0.8 front and -1.0 rear.

I'll have the camber fixed up soon though as from a brake upgrade I have wrong type knuckles in there which are from a mitsubishi that the strut towers were spaced closer to eachother than my car (MacPherson suspension at the front)
    Your camber sounds pretty ok. Not too bad that it would degrade your handling.

Ok, try replacing the swaybars first. The front is hollow and also too thin. I'd go for at least a 25mm hollow or a 20mm solid one. This will stiffen up the front and give you better steering response. It should fix that 0.5 second steering lag problem. But, upgrading the front swaybar like this will give you understeer, so you'll have to upgrade the rear as well. At least an 18mm solid bar. Go up to 22mm solid, but if you are going for thicker bars, you will have to reinforce your rear subframe to prevent it from tearing.

Swaybars are the cheapest handling mod at about $200 each and also the one that provides a very big handling improvement. So go for this first.
    Last edited by aaronng; 07-08-2006 at 02:23 PM.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

I thought on a FWD it would be a good idea to have more camber at the front then back?
    Cuz the car is lowered, -1 is as little as I can go on the rear
    And was planning -1.5 on the front

I think the front either has too much roll, or too little camber as the outside of my tyres are getting well worn

Is there a way to check bushes? As I think they might be gone (gearbox oil leaked on them for about a year+)

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Go the front and rear swaybar. The effect from those wil shit over camber. And front camber only improves handling when you are in the corner. It won't fix your 0.5 second lag.

If you are complaining of roll, go the front and rear swaybars. Do that before camber, because increasing the front and rear swaybar stiffnesses give one of the biggest improvements in handling when compared to other suspension mods.

Do you drive mostly in a straight line or always corner hard? I guess corner hard as -0.8 camber at the front won't cause your tyre to wear on the outside on the straight. I had the same problem when my car was on the track with a 14mm solid rear sway. The car just rolled too much that it couldn't keep the tyres flat on the road and it wore the outside of the tyres down in just 90 minutes.

As for bushes, if it did degrade, you should get clunking sounds from it as it would have either shrunk or degraded, leaving less material and a looser fit.

There is no clunking or anything but I am thinking maybe the bushes are just really soft allowing all my arms etc to move incorrectly?
    Cuz at say 120km/h+ if I start jerking the steering wheel from left to right continously, quickly, the car gets wobbly and it has no response at all. I was thinking it's just bushes flexing?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    There is no clunking or anything but I am thinking maybe the bushes are just really soft allowing all my arms etc to move incorrectly?
    Cuz at say 120km/h+ if I start jerking the steering wheel from left to right continously, quickly, the car gets wobbly and it has no response at all. I was thinking it's just bushes flexing?
    Did this just start happening only recently with the oil leak or from way before?

Jerking the wheel left and right and getting no response sounds like swaybars that are not stiff enough to complement your suspension.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Did this just start happening only recently with the oil leak or from way before? Also, which bushes are you referring to? The front sway bushes? Why not pull them off to inspect? Becareful not to break them if they are oil damaged.

Jerking the wheel left and right and getting no response sounds like swaybars that are not stiff enough to complement your suspension.

It started happening after the engine was swapped. But was not really bad at the time

Then the car (after oil had gone everywhere) had sat for 4 months doing nothing and after that it got really bad. I put my strut braces all round and that helped heaps

Also in the 4 months of it sitting the coilovers were changed from Fulcrum to Tein. Could this have done anything? The Tein has stiffer spring rates

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Mirage
    does your steering rack have any freeplay.
    possibly one or more bushes in the front steering setup are worns which is causing freeplay.

that can require you to put more steering work to keept he car straight because it is not as precise as you want it to be.

I got it checked out by a suspension shop

THe front bushes were gone
    But the biggest problem was a lot of the rear ones were well stuffed so my rear wheels kept changing toe degree while driving

yay!

Did they do a "shock test" (or whatever excuse for a test they do)? Unresponsive steering and that "lag" you get when you turn, but takes a bit to dig can happen even with thick swaybars.

I have the crappest shocks in the world but quite a stiff roll rate, and I have possibly the worst steering response in the world also. New shocks are on the list, but not really a priority.

My 2c

The shocks are fairly new with just a hanfull of km on them (tein SS coilovers)

Another thing that I just remembered is that I drove the car for about 25km with my front wheels toeing out heaps. Long story, but probably something like 30+ deg of toe out per wheel
    I drove very slowly (had to get it to wheel aligner)

Could that have ruined anything?