Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT

[Euro] Replacement battery suggestions

To cut a long story short, I am away for 12 months and my dad is looking after my car to keep it going with the odd trip around town. Now he has been away for a few months -with 5 weeks to go - and he left looking after my Euro to my sister (just starting it every week in the garage - not being driven).

Anyway, I just found out that the battery is dead on the car and it doesn't start. My dad says he will get it tested when he is back home but the battery may need to be replaced. Apparently, he said - some batteries once they are fully drained never hold a full charge again. (he is a retired motor mechanic so I'll take his word for it)

So looking for recommendations please on replacement batteries for the Euro. Something a bit stronger than the original would be good - might help that occassional slow start. Damn, now the engine is just going to sit there unstarted for 5 weeks.
    Last edited by yfin; 22-07-2006 at 08:59 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    are yous still running the one coming from factory?
    if so, the replacement batteries that honda supply are acdelco batteries, which are great battery, and come with a 1 year warranty.
    BUT, i would suggest a supercharge gold, even better battery, with a 3 year warranty.
    =)

the ones that come out of jap are crap btw.
    lol.
    =)

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    What your dad says is true. The only lead-acid batteries that can withstand being drained is a deep discharge battery. You can look at Odyssey batteries. They have a range of deep discharge batteries.

With your car being parked, I would have thought that starting it once a month would have been a better choice. If the car is being started and not driven around, then the battery's charge is used to start the engine but it never gets a chance to fully recharge. So a weekly start would have been too often.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng
    What your dad says is true. The only lead-acid batteries that can withstand being drained is a deep discharge battery. You can look at Odyssey batteries. They have a range of deep discharge batteries.

With your car being parked, I would have thought that starting it once a month would have been a better choice. If the car is being started and not driven around, then the battery's charge is used to start the engine but it never gets a chance to fully recharge. So a weekly start would have been too often.
    a odyssey battery would be a excellent option.
    but he doesn't really need it though, would he?
    as his not putting any major load on the electrical system, i think.
    lol.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Probably won't help you now but just starting the car won't help. You need to drive it around for about 20 mins or so. If you can't do that atleast start it and let it idle for 20mins as a bare minimum.

Just starting it and stopping it after a couple of minutes won't do much because you've drawn a lot of current just to get it started.

My 2 cents! Maybe you should just disconnect the battery and keep it like that till you come back?

I had this same problem with the civic on a 3 year old battery when I went on holidays. Got it jump started and then ran around with it for a few more months before eventually changing it.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Thanks guys - it is the original battery - about 2.5 years old.

I would have preferred the car being driven around whilst my dad is away - but I honestly don't want my sister driving it. I fear something worse than a battery problem, hehe

I think she was starting it for 10 minutes, not sure - my dad was giving her instructions.

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    I dont think a more powerful battery would help the rough starts - isnt that caused by the emissions features of the engine?

I would get a new battery from a Honda dealer if its a reasonable price.
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    what do you mean by rough starts?
    meanign cold starts?

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by destrukshn
    what do you mean by rough starts?
    meanign cold starts?
    Nah, it doesn't have a consistency to it - hot or cold.

Sometimes the Euro just feels like it is hard to start - takes a few cranks to get started. Lots of people are reporting this so it is normal but I thought it was due to the small battery.

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    The K24A has a bit of difficulty starting the engine - they take around 6 or 7 cranks, instead of two or three like in a civic (or sometimes one for my EG lol).

The power of the cranks seem fine, its just the initial combustion that has difficulty.

I think its due to the exhaust being routed back into the cylinders (emission feature) thats causing the long startups. Just a guess...
    .© ♪

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by destrukshn
    a odyssey battery would be a excellent option.
    but he doesn't really need it though, would he?
    as his not putting any major load on the electrical system, i think.
    lol.
    I was thinking of the odyssey for its deep discharge capabilities. If this situation ever happens again, all he has to do is recharge the battery or get a jumpstart and the battery will perform as before.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by yfin
    Nah, it doesn't have a consistency to it - hot or cold.

Sometimes the Euro just feels like it is hard to start - takes a few cranks to get started. Lots of people are reporting this so it is normal but I thought it was due to the small battery.
    I've read over at the TSX forums that Optima batteries solved this problem for this. But the Optima battery that fits the Euro (51R) has been recalled and discontinued because of quality issues.

If you starting difficulty is when the engine is warm, then look at my DIY grounding cable and ground the alternator. I know it shouldn't have an effect, but my warm starting problems are gone. Cold starts are still the same though.