Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    One thing I loved about my EG.....started up first time every time. Even in the coldest weather!
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Quote Originally Posted by wynode
    One thing I loved about my EG.....started up first time every time. Even in the coldest weather!
    Yep same hear, go da D16A8
    As for the Dizzy problems though
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro Lux 5AT AB
    yfin - highly recommend that you get your battery recharged now - don't leave it sitting there discharged for 5 weeks, or it will almost definitely need replacing when your dad gets back.

Most wet-cell lead acid batteries bounce back reasonably well if you recharge them immediately after they become discharged. Leave it too long and it will begin to sulfate, which will shorten the lifespan and capacity of the battery.

It might be worth investing in a battery tender if you've still got a few months before you get home. That will keep your battery topped up between starts.

Good luck!

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by kleung
    yfin - highly recommend that you get your battery recharged now - don't leave it sitting there discharged for 5 weeks, or it will almost definitely need replacing when your dad gets back.

Most wet-cell lead acid batteries bounce back reasonably well if you recharge them immediately after they become discharged. Leave it too long and it will begin to sulfate, which will shorten the lifespan and capacity of the battery.

It might be worth investing in a battery tender if you've still got a few months before you get home. That will keep your battery topped up between starts.

Good luck!
    What if I got my sister to purchase this and she hooked it up without charging the battery following a jump start and an ordinary charge via driving the vehicle.

In other words would simply hooking up the Jaycar device work now the battery is dead?

**update - what would the average life be on one of the OEM batteries? More than 4 years? Kelung, that battery has been sitting there dead for almost a week now so even if I pay $50 for this Jaycar device it may just be a waste of money if I need a new battery when my dad gets back in 5 weeks. Hmmm, not sure what to do. Go with the Jaycar or not to go with the Jaycar. I know when my dad is back the car will be driven so it is really what to do in the next 5 weeks.

*** more questions - does the factory warranty cover the battery? I see one guy in the USA got his covered under warranty after 27k miles.
    Last edited by yfin; 23-07-2006 at 03:45 AM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Get the device and charge that battery. The charging action is better than driving the car around to charge a discharged lead acid battery because the lead sulfate (which is brittle) will break off the plates and fall to the bottom where it can't be reclaimed back using normal methods.

BTW, starting your car weekly without driving around to warm up the engine oil to 100ºC is bad for the engine because it builds up moisture and combines with the sulfate formed during combustion (from impurities in the petrol) to form sulfuric acid. I'd rather let the car sit there for a month.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Just call up the NRMA and get them to start it. Then have your dad drive it around for a bit.

Once a week should be enough I reckon. Otherwise just wait till you comeback n get a new battery.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    It's about time to change battery anyway since it's almost three years old.. I'm changing mine, was told Optima is good...
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

I still love HONDA! Array
    Car:
    Black8
    mine was optima, been going well now, was installed late 2003
    euro77 by Jimmy (toE)

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro Lux 5AT AB
    Not sure. I've never tried letting a discharged battery sit for a week, and I'm not an expert. I think it's worth a try though - $50 is better than $100+ for a new battery.

That same charger seems to be $10 cheaper at Batteryworld btw (bottom of Page 3)

From what I've read though, it might actually be healthier for your battery (and possibly your alternator) to recharge using the battery charger rather than getting a jumpstart. As I understand it, this is because the battery will be charged more gradually, and there will be less strain on the alternator because it won't have to try to pump so much charge back into the battery as quickly as possible.

The average life seems to vary a lot between cars. I don't think Euros have been around long enough to work out an average life span yet. I know that batteries lasted about 3.5-4 years in my old Berlina, but the last battery in my sister's 87 Mitsubishi Colt lasted close to 8 years before it died.

A healthy, charged battery should be quite happy to sit for five weeks - my car sat for five weeks with tbe battery disconnected while I was in the US last year. When I got home, I just hooked up the battery again, and it started like I'd only driven it the day before.

I just had a look in the warranty booklet:

"Batteries are warranted against defects in materials and workmanship and will be replaced on a pro-rata basis:
    0-24 months 100% replacement cost coverage,
    24-36 months 50% replacement cost coverage,
    if purchased through an Authorised Honda Dealer."

But it also says that "deterioration due to use and exposure" are not covered, and "replacement of service items" is not covered.

I still love HONDA! Array
    Car:
    Black8
    I have the original one sitting in my garage doing nothing, probably already discharged, and another battery that fits the euro also doing nothing. you can try use 'em and keep 'em if they work.
    euro77 by Jimmy (toE)

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    I kept my euro sitting with everything connected for 1 month. When I came back, it started up without problems. If you have an aftermarket alarm, it will draw your battery more quickly (alarm's independant battery is probably as a backup if the main line is snipped).
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng
    I kept my euro sitting with everything connected for 1 month. When I came back, it started up without problems. If you have an aftermarket alarm, it will draw your battery more quickly (alarm's independant battery is probably as a backup if the main line is snipped).
    Well mine has been barely driven for 7 months! Those odd trips around town by my dad etc are all fine and good but it still not substitute for driving the car every few days.

Anyway, looks like I am getting a new battery. My dad doesn't want me to bother my sister to hook up anything to the car and secondly, he said the car needs a new battery as he noticed it was weak a long, long time ago. I am not in a position to argue with him about it and knowing how stubborn he is - it is not worth it. He will probably pay for the battery and not ask me to reimburse - so I should just

Aarong - as for letting the car warm up without driving it - you may well be right but I can tell you now that explaining such things to a retired mechanic who thinks he knows everything he needs to know about cars would be futile... And the car is now going to sit there for 5 weeks - with no power whatsoever...

Ok so this Optima battery - someone care to share a model number and approx cost? I'll see if I can find out about the battery destrukn recommended too.
    Last edited by yfin; 23-07-2006 at 06:37 PM.