Engine rebuild for a B18c7

Looking at rebuilding a B18c7 integra type R engine and was wondering whats included and the process of doing this. At the moment the when you take the oil cap off the valve cover, air rushes through it. What exactly does this mean as i have been told that its a bad thing and the seals should stop any air coming through valve cover.

Can some one please help.....

No that is perfectly normal. The space in the valve-cover and inside the lower area of the block under the crank is called the "crank case", it is the volume of air being smashed around by the crank, pistons, cams and blow-by.

Your engine has a couple of places to releave this pressure, one on the back of the block and one on the valve cover. The block one goes to an oil separater, then the top of this back to the intake manifold. The valve-cover barb goes to the intake just before the throttle body.

Many people claim that inadequate setup's to releave crank-case pressure leads to piston-ring damage, but I think you'd be silly to run an engine like this considering the ease of doing so correctly, n/a or turbo.

It is also illegal to run without these systems; I.e. valve cover breathers are illegal (even though as you can see, the valve cover has the tendancy to suck air).

Well that was completely off track but maybe you've learned something

A rebuild is not a set process, there are many different levels of rebuilding you can do.

A simple rebuild might just be done to 'freshen' up a motor. You might take it apart, replace seals that are leaking, or are prone to. You might take out the oil and water pumps and measure them for correct clearances and replace if needed. Could replace valve-seals, and generally just clean things up.

To go a little further, you'd take out pistons, maybe replace the rings, and since you've got them out, you'd check out your bearings, measure clearances on them and replace if needed.

Now most people with performance engines rebuild for more power and reliability down that path. You'd do all of the above, perhaps get new (possibly forged) pistons for higher (or lower) compression, new rods, you'd get everything balanced, new gasksets all-over, the works.

Any other reason you are intrested in a rebuild? And what do you want out of your engine?
    Last edited by string; 18-08-2006 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks string, your a real help.

I have one main question left unanswered which is-

Is it normal for the engine to vent through the oil cap on the valve cover. I have always been told that an engine that is venting from the oil cap in the valve cover has damaged seals, rings and bearings.

I am going to ring my local honda dealer and talk to someone in the service dept. and just ask afew questions.

About the rebuild if the seals, bearings and rings have gone then the engine will have to be rebuilded.

Quote Originally Posted by SAMBO456
    Is it normal for the engine to vent through the oil cap on the valve cover. I have always been told that an engine that is venting from the oil cap in the valve cover has damaged seals, rings and bearings.
    The best way for you to determine the health of the engine is to do a compression test on each cylinder.