Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thumbs down Why not to cut springs

Have a read of this taken from a US forum. Not entirely descriptive on the mechanics behind why the spring lost it but still sh1t does happen.

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=77378

Not sure if you need a login or not.

Member Array
    Have you ever seen a spring? At each end it comes back around and touches the previous coil. This makes a full loop and a way to keep it on the platform and from literally unscrewing out. When you cut the spring you give it an "escape" path to where it could slide out and then make that corner lower and cause a malfunction. That caused the accident. But cutting your spring is a good way to void warranties and maybe even your insurance.

As you can see the loop back allows the platform to have a place to rest. Cutting the spring takes that away and will allow the spring to slide out and unscrew. Say it's the front pass corner, that corner fails, your front end hits the ground at 75mph and you go in to on coming traffic. What do you think happens from there? What do you think will happen if you live?

Last edited by Slow96GSR; 28-08-2006 at 10:58 PM.

yep, hehe check out my DIY. Thanks for explaning the reasons. I actually wanted to know why that happened.

What about cutting dead coils then?

TKO... That all I've got to say...
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    I would never cut anything on a suspension part, better to find an aftermarket part that fits your needs. Is your life or someone elses worth 200-500 bucks. People need to just save and spend the money to do it right.

His accident was caused by spring failure. It came out of its place and the front end dropped. Had he done it right he would still have that beautiful car!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    I would never cut anything on a suspension part, better to find an aftermarket part that fits your needs. Is your life or someone elses worth 200-500 bucks. People need to just save and spend the money to do it right.
    Agreed

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    wata a wreck
    "since we're both asian.. I'll look after you and chuck in King Springs with the wheels and tyres for $1050"

Member Array
    Car:
    Had a 1990 ED Civic
    Cut springs retain the original spring rate(kg/mm or Lbs/in, etc) so when the car is lowered, it makes it very bouncy as the springs are so soft. I seen cars with cut springs hit their front bumper on the ground when braking!

Proper lowered springs have a stiffer spring rate to make it hanlde better and stop the thing from bottoming out on the shocks as well. Bottom your shocks out too many times and you will know about it.
    N14 Pulsar - VQ35 swap, Kelford C spec cams, 12.7:1CR, 6 speed HLSD, BC coilovers & 350Z 12.6" F brakes
    Smashed VY SS Ute: Teins, AP Racing brakes, Billet wheels, lazy 481rwKw TT kit - PICS

wow me and a friend angle grinded his stock springs
    Rides really good and no problems so far but that is scary

Car looks tough as though!

Member Array
    Car:
    Poo-goat 307
    others can learn from his mistake. props for him admitting fault and posting to advise others to avoid his mistake

Quote Originally Posted by ACTI0NMAN-1
    others can learn from his mistake. props for him admitting fault and posting to advise others to avoid his mistake
    Amen!
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    Evo 6
    i have been in lots of cars with cut springs and lets just say this your car will still be bouncing 1km down the rd after his a slight deviation in the road,
    very bad idea