Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    TRAVDM Array
    Car:
    Lots of Hondas
    i have no sympathy.

serves himself right.

DONT DO IT KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    oh wrd!

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1, JAZZ, ITR, EURO
    No good. Never do it mate.

I'm with trav. Serves him right for doin it, especially when he knew he shouldn't have.

I wouldn't ride in a mates car that had cut springs either. Most of the time the passengers die and the driver lives....

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    what the relavence of the thread... it doesnt even tell u why he crashed...?

can someone explain to me why he crashed?

and what has cut springs got anything to do with it, ( flat like OEM as he said in the thread and captive)..

Quote Originally Posted by BlitZ
    what the relavence of the thread... it doesnt even tell u why he crashed...?

can someone explain to me why he crashed?

and what has cut springs got anything to do with it, ( flat like OEM as he said in the thread and captive)..
    Not sure if your tone of msg is cynical or not, but i'll presume not...

Relevance of this thread? hehe.... well, if you probably took the time ot read ALL the posts and the link, then you would understand that this guy crashed cos he cut his springs. this is an example of waht may happen. This is not so much a mechanics course but rather an awareness thread. that is all.

I hope that through this thread ppl will become more educated in their modifications and won't be stupid in how they do it.

And if you read what slow96GSR has said, u might get a bit of an insight.

@ everyone - the owner of the car has taken full responsibility so there is no need to bag him.
    Last edited by SiReal; 30-08-2006 at 10:51 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    hehehee not being cynical....

Ive removed a single dead coil from a set of ITR springs..

My springs sit perfectly flat.. and also captive.. (if i didnt tell u, you wont even know they were cut)

Have yet to ever experiece a problem..

If you can, explain to me how this could effect my handling?

Honestly i dont think anyone could explain how this could effect my handling if done right...
    Last edited by BlitZ; 30-08-2006 at 04:20 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Sedan w/JDM ZC
    springs are designed to have a certain stiffness (usually determined by thickness) to match a certain number of coils. ie: less coils need a thicker spring. start removing coils and you lose stiffness in the spring. you cant change the thickness of a spring so therefore you cant compensate for lost coils, so therefore theres no real way of chopping springs right
    its not just a matter of whether or not it will stay in place.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    Quote Originally Posted by sivic
    springs are designed to have a certain stiffness (usually determined by thickness) to match a certain number of coils. ie: less coils need a thicker spring. start removing coils and you lose stiffness in the spring. you cant change the thickness of a spring so therefore you cant compensate for lost coils, so therefore theres no real way of chopping springs right
    its not just a matter of whether or not it will stay in place.
    Actually i think you are wrong there...
    The more coils u chop off the harder the spring.

Most(not all) spring manufacturer's cut coils off to get custom spring rate... they just recap the end...
    Last edited by BlitZ; 30-08-2006 at 06:12 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Had a 1990 ED Civic
    On a progressive rate spring, you can cut off 'dead' springs but the reduced height and non linear progression would stuff your shocks absorbers very quickly. So blitz, you theory does have some merit but the reduced height and less srpings trying to control the cars weight does cause the car to become more bouncy and thus destroying shock absorbers.

On linear rate springs, cutting off coils is plain stupid. It lowers the car and stuffs the valves in the shocks, making cornering a lot less safe and the driver normally ends up trying to take corners at speeds they once could and then end up punching a hole in the scenery.

Also, cut springs are more likely to sag over time as the angle grinder introduces HEAT!

Spring manufacturers do cut the coil to a specific length before they are 'wound', they are then treated to stop thin/soft spots and then powder coated.

Lets just say there is a reason spring manufacturers exist. If your too dodgey to care about buying proper springs, then I just hope you never crash into anyone and cop the @ss reaming from the Police if you kill/seriously injure anyone.
    N14 Pulsar - VQ35 swap, Kelford C spec cams, 12.7:1CR, 6 speed HLSD, BC coilovers & 350Z 12.6" F brakes
    Smashed VY SS Ute: Teins, AP Racing brakes, Billet wheels, lazy 481rwKw TT kit - PICS

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    Quote Originally Posted by iamhappy46
    On a progressive rate spring, you can cut off 'dead' springs but the reduced height and non linear progression would stuff your shocks absorbers very quickly. So blitz, you theory does have some merit but the reduced height and less srpings trying to control the cars weight does cause the car to become more bouncy and thus destroying shock absorbers.

On linear rate springs, cutting off coils is plain stupid. It lowers the car and stuffs the valves in the shocks, making cornering a lot less safe and the driver normally ends up trying to take corners at speeds they once could and then end up punching a hole in the scenery.

Also, cut springs are more likely to sag over time as the angle grinder introduces HEAT!

Spring manufacturers do cut the coil to a specific length before they are 'wound', they are then treated to stop thin/soft spots and then powder coated.

Lets just say there is a reason spring manufacturers exist. If your too dodgey to care about buying proper springs, then I just hope you never crash into anyone and cop the @ss reaming from the Police if you kill/seriously injure anyone.
    Perfect..well said.

Cutting springs isnt the end of the world provided that it still sits perfectly in the cup and is captive...

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    i got chopped my springs. I track my car and havn't had any probs with it.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord CK2
    LOLL ^^ success story ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Xplodin
    yeah thats my shirt why?

*gets Fists ready*
    -T L D- #031