Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EE9 Civic VT

EF GL (D14A1) Turbo question

Hi guys I am from the UK and have just purchased a EF 4 door saloon which i am looking to boost

has anyone on here boosted the twin carb'd motor before ? if so i would really appreciate some info on how to setup the carbs to sort out the mixture etc,

any info is much appreciated

thanks

Jim

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3 VTIS
    i know someone who has,

you need to get an intake plenum for the carbs.... (i have one if you want it )

plus you cant run an intercooler or bov

you need to get the carbs jetted
    WTB: [SYD] Cheap Gen 2 CRX (or shell)

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    Quote Originally Posted by heist
    plus you cant run an intercooler or bov
    now that's not true at all... there's no reason an intercooler or bov can't be used with a blow through carb set up(which if you're going to be running a turbo carb set up, you really should be doing).

an intercooler and such can't be used with a draw through carb set up, but you really want to stay FAR FAR away from anything like that anyway

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EE9 Civic VT
    any more info on this guys, not using an IC sounds a little off, especially when its best to keep intake temps as low as possible

as far as boosting carbs go i have NO idea whatsoever, so any info on what mods would need to be done to the carbs would be brilliant as this is my only worry .

thanks

Jim

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    on a draw through carb set up(where the air enters the carb, and then the turbo), an intercooler can't be used because the fuel will collect inside the intercooler. You also get really poor cold start, very bad overall fueling, etc... You DO NOT want a draw through carb set up.

A blow through cab set up has the air enter the turbo first, then the intercooler and such, and then the carb. Vastly superior set up... really the only way to go for a turbo carb set up. You will need to modify the carb for this, but it's not to difficult.

I'd suggest you purchase the book "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell... there's a big section on setting up a carb for boost, and the rest of the book should do a great job of helping you out to understand the rest of the concepts around turboing.

Member Array
    Car:
    eg5,VBP dc2,07 cl9,01 s2k
    y dont u just purchase an efi engine and boost that it is much better in the long run and much quicker.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EE9 Civic VT
    its because i dont want the agro of doing a complete Wiring loom swap, also it would be nice having a turbo'd D14 , also i can turbo the D14 for a lot less than the D16 etc

thanks for the helpful post SAXMAN it was just what i needed, im unsure whereabouts to get that book from though, do you know if it might be available in the UK ?

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    amazon.com carries it

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EE9 Civic VT
    OK thanks guys

Am unsure how long i am going to keep the car now due to a job change , but if i do carry on with the project then i will get the book and have a read through