Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: b16 flywheel

b16 flywheel

just curious if anyone knows the weight of a stock b16 flywheel?

Member Array
    About the same an B18C, 18 pounds, if I remember correctly.

I weighted my stock B18A flywheel yesterday it was just under 8kg, so around 17.5lb. They are probably all the same, the type-r being a touch lighter.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    http://www.itrsport.com/technical.html
    Flywheel Information:
    • GS-R flywheel: 18 pounds
    • Type R flywheel: 14 pounds
    GSR is pretty much the same as b16a i weighted it when i took mine out
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4 Integra
    Just on this , would it be worth putting a Type R flywheel on either a DC4 or VTI-R ? only 1-2 kg difference vs stock... Or would the only gain be (changing flywheel) if fitted a TODA ( or similar lightned flywheel 4.9kg e.t.c ) ??

Well 4.9kg is ~3kg lighter, and the type-r might be a touch under 2kg lighter.

Now you need to consider that a single disc clutch and pressure plate combo weighs around 5.5kg in it's own, so a 4.9kg item vs a 6.3~kg item fully bolted up won't be much of a difference in terms of a percentage. You can get much lighter than 4.9kg, but they usually are formed from exotic steels which are rather expensive.

Type-r flywheels are VERY cheap, but in the scheme of things, so are new flywheels. Considering that with a new one, you don't need to machine it, and you get a new centre bearing and release bearing. When you get a used flywheel you don't get this.

I chose to buy a new flywheel as I didn't want to go to the extra effort to source the bearings, and machine the original part. The lower weight is just a bonus.

Member Array
    Car:
    01POV
    some more words of wisdom from the ediot. machining fly wheel cost $30. centre bearing cost $20. never have i heard a fly wheel comming with release bearing, these come with clutch kits.

$50 vs $500 for a new lighten flywheel, f ucken ediot.

Lighter isn't always better, nothing to do with cost of materials. There's a reason y Toda went from intially having 3.9kg flywheels to now 4.x what ever it is. Torque is lost through lighter flywheel, but revs increase quicker so that's something you need to take into context.
    |=TeamPOV=|=JDMYard=|=EK Squad=|=101 MotorCafe Performance Tuning=|

EK Koni Yellows + King Spring Combo for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by barefootbonzai
    some more words of wisdom from the ediot. machining fly wheel cost $30. centre bearing cost $20. never have i heard a fly wheel comming with release bearing, these come with clutch kits.

$50 vs $500 for a new lighten flywheel, f ucken ediot.

Lighter isn't always better, nothing to do with cost of materials. There's a reason y Toda went from intially having 3.9kg flywheels to now 4.x what ever it is. Torque is lost through lighter flywheel, but revs increase quicker so that's something you need to take into context.
    Firstly, you spelled "idiot" wrong, unless "ediot" is some bogan degeneration used by tools like yourself who can't speak correctly.

Secondly, where did I say that buying a new one was cheaper? And in your case, where did I say it was cheaper than just machining the stock one? Learn to read before you attempt to burn me.

Thirdly, you have absolutely no idea even what torque is, so please stop spreading your plague idiocy. The reason they did it will have nothing to do with engine output (unless they wanted less).

My 5.5kg flywheel cost me $215 new, and it came with a spigot bearing. Ingore what I said about the release bearing, it's irrelevent to the flywheel anyway.

And in terms of cost/benefit analysis, if you cared to pay a little more attention to the words, not just the name of the poster, you'd find that I was refering to a new flywheel vs machining a type-r one, which brings the two costs closer together. For me, the extra price was enough for me to go for the new item, and save a little more weight.

Do you feel like a big boy attempting to put down every noise that comes out of my mouth?

Quote Originally Posted by string
    Thirdly, you have absolutely no idea even what torque is, so please stop spreading your plague idiocy.
    riiiiiiiiightyo then.

Educate me on torque then mate.

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    im running the stock b16a fly wheel it's slightly over ten kilo's last time i checked mine.it has being shaved by 2 and a bit kilo's on the back of the flywheel. works just fine for me.
    machining the flywheel is recommended every time you put a new clutch in
    thats my understanding

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Barefootbonzai and string take it to PM.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Thread should be locked. Thread starter has got his answer. No need to add 'lighten flywheel' weights and etc.

Also should be in the NOOB section. NExt time search!