Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Looking for a new HU, both a similarly priced around the $480 mark, or if anybody can recommend anything else please feel free...

Member Array
    Car:
    SLOCAR
    Its a personal preference with those two, but I personally would choose the Alpine over the Eclipse. Why? Because i've always loved the look of the Alpines, and look great in a black colour when its dark. I'm not much of a fan of the Eclipse faces, although their features are great too (Anti theft technology etc).

Not too sure if the Eclipse will do WMA as well as MP3, but I know the Alpine can. Thats also another plus for people like me that have their recordings in both formats and cbf making new cd's with just one format on it

Have you checked out the Panasonic range too? They have some nice units, especially the colour display ones *drool*

Good luck!

Member Array
    Car:
    S15
    Eclipse head units are among some of the best for SQ. I would be grabbing the eclipse. Havign said that Alpine are great head units too. Think about the sound, not the fancy displays etc, for example Nakamichi, some of the ugliestl ooking decks ever, yet renowned as the best sounding in theb usiness.

Thanks for the input so far..

I'm no technican, but i was told that the Eclipse may not be suited to my amp ie Eclipse 8v and my Sony amp may not handle it too well.. can anyone shed any light on this.

Specs to the amp:
    EX-series 40w x4 channel amplifier XM440EX

Key features

4/3/2 Channel Amplifier
    Power (RMS):
    4 Ohms: 40w x 4 / 100w x 2
    2 Ohms: 50w x 4
    Features:
    4v Input
    Variable LP/HP filter from 80-200 Hz
    Gold plated terminals
    Full protection circuit & indicators
    Test Tone
    Speaker Level input

Still unsure what to go for..

Member Array
    Car:
    S15
    Well mate head units never put out the voltage they say constantly, it varies and will most likely never hit that 8 volts (dunno if it applies to voltage but its peak vs RMS for wattage migth be the same here, voltage is a sine wave too???). head over to CAA forums and it is all explained there. If your amp takes 4 volt inputs it would probably just mean setting the gains on your amp to minimum and not going silly with the volume so you dont clip the signal. It is a tough decision as both are great decks from what i hear. Might be better to go over to CAA (www.caraudioaustralia.com) and ask up on the forums.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    8V preouts? are they balanced preouts? if so you'd most likely have availability of unbalanced preout which would be around 4Volt
    Intentionally Left Blank

my mate has the same alpine unit and its a beauty
    フジタエンジニアリング

Member Array
    Car:
    baron
    in a comparison of these i'd say go the alpine, Alpine make some awseme cheaper model HU, eclipse focus more on the uper market, I've got the CD5441 and that thing rocks. I dont have the greatest speakers or amp but my SQ is better than the vast majority of alpine etc.

How about throwing a Pioneer DEH-P5650MP into the audition too?

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord VTI-S
    i have the exact model in my car..

couldn't have been happier.. very good deck.. haven't skipped once since i bought the thing since last july / aug..

that's nearly 1 year, and not one skip. not even after i had my suspension changed..

I mostly play mp3's, apart from a couple of badly burnt CD's, i haven't had any problem playing any disc's, properly bought one's or homemade burn't mp3's.

A fair few thing's for you to adjust via the deck itself. Having a dedicated sub output is absolutely fabulous..

3 RCA output's all up. Look's schmick in my mind.

If you're after a single DIN deck, without the fancy screen, etc.. you can't go past this..

So it seems like Alpine is the way to go?

Fhrx, i'm willing to look into anything (i used to own a Pioneer deck and was quite impressed)..

If you are we still have about 20 DEH-P5550MP (last years 5650) in stock and are selling them quickly .....

Wynode edit: Price removed