Member Array
    Car:
    EM1

Ultra Racing 3 point front strut bar install - EM1

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: Ultra Racing Front 3-Point Strut Bar Installation. EM1

Read my rear strut bar : DIY

Required:

• Socket wrench
    • Small socket wrench
    • Small socket extension
    • Long 10mm, 12mm, 14mm sockets
    • Short 10mm socket
    • Phillips head screwdriver
    • Vehicle jacks
    • Zip ties

Steps:

1. Remove factory strut bar, Use socket wrench and long 12mm socket to remove the four nuts holding the strut bar in place. Once the nuts are off remove the factory strut bar.

aaronng edit: remove advertising

2. Using the long 14mm socket now remove the 2 outside nuts of the struts, repeat this for both sides. Hang on to these nuts, as they are required to fit the new strut bar. Do not attempt to remove the middle bolt on the top of your struts. Once the nuts are removed take this opportunity to give the area a quick clean. I used a little wax and grease remove on a rag.

3. Use a Phillips head screwdriver to remove the screw holding this thing in place at the top right hand side of your intake manifold. (love to know what this part is called….anyone?)

4. Use a couple of zip ties to keep this part in place out of the way of where the strut bar will sit. Don’t over tighten the ties you don’t want to restrict any of these vacuum lines. You want just enough tension to hold it firmly in place.

5. Place jacks on the two front jack locations and raise your vehicle till the wheels are roughly 2 – 3 inches off the ground. All though I didn’t at this point I would strongly advise placing some jack stands under the vehicle as it is a lot safer while your working on your car.

6. Position the strut bar so that it’s in place against the firewall and try to line it up with the two mounting holes. Now line up the bar so the tops of the struts line up with the two holes on either side of the strut bar. You may have to wriggle it around a little bit but eventually it should slide into place. If you struggling ask a second person to place some weight on one the wheels to lower the struts a little bit to make it easier to move the bar around. Once the bar is in place, put the factory nuts back on the strut towers and screw them back on till they are finger tight.

7. Secure the strut bar at the firewall using the supplied bolts and washers put them both into place and do them up finger tight first. Now using your small socket wrench with the extension piece and 10mm socket tighten these two bolts nice and tight. At this point you can lower the car back onto the ground.

8. Now switch back to the socket wrench and the long 14mm socket tighten the four nuts back onto the strut tower ensure these are really secure. IF you haven’t already by this point go ahead and remove the plastic wrap from your strut bar. Stand back and admire your new Ultra Racing Strut bar.

Special thanks to Jords, I would not have been able to finish this write up without his help. Cheers
    Last edited by aaronng; 19-10-2009 at 11:36 AM.
    "It's B1GTYM baby!!"
    3TripleZero

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, R6
    Nice write up! How long did it take you?

I would advise to double check the tightness of the struts after the car has been lowered back to the ground.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Quote Originally Posted by jords View Post
    Nice write up! How long did it take you?

I would advise to double check the tightness of the struts after the car has been lowered back to the ground.
    Probably took around 30mins just like you said. Yes after I lowered the car back I went around and tightened all the nuts on the struts front and rear.
    "It's B1GTYM baby!!"
    3TripleZero

Why did you have to jack up the car first to put the strut brace on? Is it to unload the shocks and springs?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    RiceTrolley.
    think he jacked up the car so its easier to work on with gap between chassis and wheel to reach ur hand in
    凸-_-凸

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Quote Originally Posted by munkaii View Post
    Why did you have to jack up the car first to put the strut brace on? Is it to unload the shocks and springs?
    The reason you have to Jack up the car is you need to be able to
    move the strut towers up and down once the nuts are removed. With the car raised you are able move the struts with only a small amount of pressure. otherwise you can't fit the strut bar.
    "It's B1GTYM baby!!"
    3TripleZero

this is a noob question but where do i mount the 10mm bolts onto the firewall? there is already a 10mm bolt holding a bracket holding some vaccum hoes and a plastic clip to the right of it

do i take off the 10mm bolt already there and the plastic clip on the firewall and mount it there?

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Can you take a photo of the firewall so I can have a look what you're refeering too.
    "It's B1GTYM baby!!"
    3TripleZero

i decided to remove a plastic clip to reveal a hole that can hold a 10mm bolt. so im guessing i can bolt it on there. right next to the vin.

Member Array
    Car:
    ek4ar / dc5
    NICE......not the strut bar....
    i mean the booooooooooo RAAAAAAAAA ...duh duh duh..RAAAAAAAAAAAAAA duh duh duh....

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    I took me about 5 mins to understand what you were refering to.....lol Nicely put!
    "It's B1GTYM baby!!"
    3TripleZero