Member Array
    Car:
    prelude 1991

Question Hot spark plugs ?

When someone say I need a hotter spark plug. What does it mean ? Does it that I need NGK rate 5 or 6 or something.

Any idea.

hotter plug is when the plug sits lower in the combustion chamber... so its more efficient with the spark... im not sure what rating it would b but if you look at the plug its the longer the thread is the hotter it is .. the shorter the thread the colder it is.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    A hotter plug has more surface area of the electrode exposed.

Use the proper heat spec plug for your car.
    If yours is the 2L Lude, then BCPR6E-11 (heat range 6)
    The 2.2 Lude uses ZFR6F-11 for both the F22 and H22
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

so hotter the better??
    in which way fuel efficient or more power or what

Hotter isn't always better. It depends on the density of the air coming, the temperatures of that air, and the quality of the combustion thats happenning.

The BETTER spark plug will burn MORE of the gasses in the combustion chamber quicker, whilst remaining in its self cleaning temp range.

I reccommend using standard spec plugs unless you've radically altered the engines specs (ie turbo)

I was lucky enough to be sitting next to one of the top electrical engineers for NGK when i flew down to canberra to pick up my honda.

if the plug is too hot it will cause pre ignition.. that is not good...

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    ^^ as they said. Too hot and you get preignition or detonation, too cold and the plug will foul.

Use the specified heat range for NA, unless you have a racing or turbo'd honda engine. Your tuner would be the person to ask about the plugs then.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2