Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Egg Damage

Member Array
    Car:
    1999 S15 Silvia Spec R
    i had an egg thrown at my S15 many months ago. as the shell dries it shrinks and being that its on a painted surface, it takes the paint with it. yes i also didnt know it was an egg till a day later. too late! bastard kids!

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    The egg is damaging because the shell chips the paint very badly, and the proteins in the egg directly damage the water-based paint as it doesn't have to go through the clearcoat first. But MOST of the damage comes from the shell.

Here's a pic of a car that was egged and then washed about 10 minutes later.

Last edited by aaronng; 07-12-2006 at 10:51 AM.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    1999 S15 Silvia Spec R
    yeah thats what happened to mine too. for some reason i thought it was a maccas drink that they threw at me while i drove past.

i chased them for a while tho. but they cut through some people's yard and my car couldnt follow there

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic RS
    its a shame there are so many idiots in the world that do stuff like this, i feel for you especially on a graphite car as scratchs and marks are so clear.

im with everyone else, make sure you have not doubts the smash repairer can do it and emphasis if it aint done right you will go back till its done. if u have any doubt the smash repairer isnt confidnet in doing a good job go somewhere else. i never heard a spray painter saying he cant match paint!!!

good luck what ever you do.
    |||8|0||0|||5|7||||

Member Array
    Car:
    2JZ w/2 snails
    for little chips like this - do they respray just the area - or the entire door, and how much does this cost

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Black Stallion
    Mine had too. but quite small so i leave it. I hate those jealous idiots.

Hi Kam, i think you can respray just that area. but when look closer, it will be different. Coz there will be another layer of paint on top of original layer. I'm not sure, it's depends on how good they respray.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    To fix it they should sand it down and respray. But they won't bake the paint, so it will be softer than original.

Member Array
    Car:
    1999 S15 Silvia Spec R
    if you leave it in the sun for a few weeks after the spray job, that will bake it well enough

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEi20T View Post
    if you leave it in the sun for a few weeks after the spray job, that will bake it well enough
    The type of paint used for non-baked respray is an acrylic. It's totally different from a baked 2-pack paint. For example, if you spill RainX on your original paint, you can just wipe it off. Do that on acrylic paint, and you're wiping off your paint instead.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic RS
    I cant say i know for sure, but every time i have been to a smash repairer they have sprayed the whole panel/fender etc. no just a small area. in the past i have had a small ding (size of a 20 cent coin) on the bonnet whole things was resprayed, a side skirt scratch (fairly deep) whole thing and boot lid was fully sprayed.
    |||8|0||0|||5|7||||

Member Array
    Car:
    1999 S15 Silvia Spec R
    for touch ups they use acrylic?? wouldnt that leave signs of being touched up??

anyway, eggs suck. cept if they are fried with some bacon..... damn now im hungry!

Member Array
    Car:
    TRX400EX,TRD 3500S & BT50
    Quote Originally Posted by euro77 View Post
    I have no idea how bad a damage an egg can do to the paint, do you have any pics? Can't the paint cleaner and claybar remove it?
    Sorry to drag up an older thread, hadnt read this recently, been on holidays

heres my particular egg marks, cant really tell the size of it but you can see there both semi circle shapes

Front Fender

Rear Bar

Pictures are a bit dark and the cars dirty but you get the idea!

Going to get it looked at this week sometime, see what i can get done
    Bwwwwoooommmp