Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Occasionally (mostly when dragging stoopid skylines) i find that flat-changing is much more useful to get the jump on the ball-breaking turbos.
    Only problem is that i get a really bad crunching sound if I'm on or beyond the red-line (9+). Sometimes the revs spike as well, I'm thinking this is bad...just wondering if anyone can tell me the quickest way to change gears under extreme load...

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quickest way = flat changing........but like you said, if you get it wrong, then you can have gearbox troubles in the not to distant future
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

That poor poor AP1!! :?

Member Array
    Car:
    baron
    I'd be too scared to flatshift, I mean the revs still have to drop 1000RPM to get into the next gear :S and your kicking the revs up even more :S

Quote Originally Posted by SIKCVC
    I'd be too scared to flatshift, I mean the revs still have to drop 1000RPM to get into the next gear :S and your kicking the revs up even more :S
    What you mean??

Why do the revs have to drop? The only thing that flat shifting is bad for is the g'box and probably other drive train components because of the sudden shock... but mainly g'box. If the engine can sustain potential damage from flatshifting, I doubt it has anything to do with situation of revs during a flatshift.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDCORE
    Quote Originally Posted by SIKCVC
    What you mean??

Why do the revs have to drop? The only thing that flat shifting is bad for is the g'box and probably other drive train components because of the sudden shock... but mainly g'box. If the engine can sustain potential damage from flatshifting, I doubt it has anything to do with situation of revs during a flatshift.

Thoughts?
    To the best of my understanding too - "flat-shifting" is incredibly silly for your drivetrain - the tremendous shock it puts upon your transmission is just not worth it !

Ofcourse , you could go the next level , and shift without use of clutch ala superbike styles...but one or another you will soon reap the benefits of fecked tranny !

Dont do it people ! BAD !

Hold on I know you where commming from know SIKCIV......

I was getting confused thinking flat shifting was shifting without use of clutch.....

My view is if you are good enough you can shift quick enough and get back on the gas so quickly that the revs will not drop significantly.

Sorry for the confusion.

Member Array
    Car:
    baron
    yeah :P shifting without a clutch would be the way to go, but its a bit of work to get used to and to do it fast :P especially in the high revs.

The reason i wouldn't flatshift is because when you shift gears, in order to get into the next gear the revs must drop, and your doing the complete oposite. Thats what i ment :P but I didn't explain myself very clear :?

trying to drive a s2k like it has sequential now hahahah
    フジタエンジニアリング

Member Array
    Car:
    Fridge
    as said before. flatchanging is really bad for your drivetrain.
    so try not to do it unless beating the skyline is worth more than a few grand (to rebuild your gearbox) hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 BB6 Prelude VTiR
    Just go buy a Pfitzer doggie...
    flat change problem solved....

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    like you guys said flat changing is bad. crunching is very bad..

the input shaft and output shaft of the gearbox have to match in speed before a gear change can occur, when you put the clutch in the input shaft is disconnected from the flywheel, when you engage a gear the syncro's have to slow the input shaft to match the output shaft revolutions. when you flat change your input shaft is being driven by the flywheel partly and you are making the syncro slow the output shaft ( eg the whole car ) to match the input shaft and then the gear goes in. worse when you change with out the clutch. anyway thats what tafe lecturers tell ya , poor syncros are only made of brass, but have to do soo much work