Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 30,000 service

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro manual

30,000 service

Just had the 30,000 service with my manual Euro. I found the $106 charge quite reasonable I did supply my own oil Penrite Sin5 5w-60, and told them not to re-fill my washer bottle as I have my own preferences. The loan car was a 2003 Euro auto, it was the best auto I have ever driven so responsive. I still prefer a manual, I detest an auto changing gear half way around a bend it always puts me off. Was this thread covered before I couldn't find anything in Search?

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Hey Adagio - is there any particular reason you went for oil that thick? The manual doesn't recommend that viscoscity. Didn't the Honda dealer say anything?
    Last edited by yfin; 02-02-2007 at 09:21 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    5w when cold, 60 when hot, can't be good for a 10w30 recommended engine
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
    5w when cold, 60 when hot, can't be good for a 10w30 recommended engine
    I think more interesting is that the dealer put the oil in! Dealer mechanics work with Euros every day and no one thought about whether the oil was suitable? When I bring my own oil in they always look at the oil first.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic
    mayb it was the apprentice that worked on it ...

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Some mechs don't bother checking. I've brought 25w-50 oil for a car that uses 15w-40 before and they didn't mind either.

Anyway, for a K series, 5w-60 will be pretty bad as on the Sin5 spec sheet, they list cars which have engines designed with large piston ring clearances which are common with forged performance pistons.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro manual

Oily Response

To answer Yfin's query. Oils don't get thicker than what you get when you pour it in your engine. It's how thin the oil gets when it gets hot. The 60 in the specification 5w-60 relates to the amount of protection you get as the temperature rises. 60 will give good protection by offering more separation of the mechanical parts. So with this full synthetic Penrite Sin 5 oil I can expect good flow and good protection with a minute amount of increased fuel consumption. As my consumption is averaging out at 7.9L/100kms I am feeling comfortable. I did check with the technical dept of Penrite and they say the above oil and grade is the right one for the Euro.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
    To answer Yfin's query. Oils don't get thicker than what you get when you pour it in your engine. It's how thin the oil gets when it gets hot. The 60 in the specification 5w-60 relates to the amount of protection you get as the temperature rises. 60 will give good protection by offering more separation of the mechanical parts. So with this full synthetic Penrite Sin 5 oil I can expect good flow and good protection with a minute amount of increased fuel consumption. As my consumption is averaging out at 7.9L/100kms I am feeling comfortable. I did check with the technical dept of Penrite and they say the above oil and grade is the right one for the Euro.
    When I said "thick" Adagio - that is more a common term when referring to the weight of oil. It is really more to do with flow. The second number is the viscoscity of the oil at 100°C which is beyond the recommended viscoscity by the manufacturer. I can't see how Penrite can say otherwise.
    Last edited by yfin; 02-02-2007 at 03:06 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Is it true that if you use thick 5w-60 oil for too long it wears the engine quicker, and makes the engine not suitable for 10w-30 anymore?
    .© ♪

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    The first number is the equivalent viscosity to an SAE weighted monograde oil at -18 șC. So the Sin5 oil has the same viscosity as that of a SAE 5 oil at -18 șC.

The second number is the equivalent viscosity at 100 șC. So it has the same viscosity as an SAE 60 oil at 100 șC.

The K series is designed to take from 20 up to 40 weight oil (at 100șC) and from 0 to 15 weight at -18 șC. 50 weight will be pushing it, but 60 is too far out of the recommended viscosity.

If the clearances are large enough to allow 60 weight oil in between moving parts, then yes, 60 will be able to protect it as the oil film of a 60 weight oil will protect better than a 30 weight oil. (that's why you can use more viscous oils on older cars as the clearances are larger from wear)

BUT!!!! If the clearances are too small for a 60 weight, then you'll get metal on metal wear, which is bad.

Remember, it is not only about protection, but also about the ability of the oil pump to circulate oil around your engine. If the oil is too viscous to flow around a warm, metal-expanded engine, then you won't get any of that delicious 60 weight protection.

BTW, Penrite recommends HPR5 (which is a 5w-40) for the Accord Euro
    Last edited by aaronng; 02-02-2007 at 03:41 PM.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro manual
    Phoned Penrite automotive tech support and John tells me that Sin 5w-60 is the right oil for the Euro if a synthetic oil is required. At 100c these oils are thin almost like water as you can tell if you drop your oil after a longish run.
    Perhaps we should move this debate to a more appropriate site? I will continue to investigate and report back.
    Last edited by Adagio; 02-02-2007 at 04:46 PM. Reason: after thought

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Phoned Penrite automotive tech support and John tells me that Sin 5w-60 is the right oil for the Euro if a synthetic oil is required. At 100c these oils are thin almost like water as you can tell if you drop your oil after a longish run.
    Perhaps we should move this debate to a more appropriate site? I will continue to investigate and report back.
    It is ok to discuss it in this section Adagio. Let us know how you go