Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s

excessive balance shaft free play H22A- engine out job?

hey all. does anybody know if you have to remove the motor to replaces what ever is causing 10mm freeplay in the front balance shaft of a h22a?

when i say free play, i mean that you can physically move the shaft in and out of the block.

you mean the crank pulley ?

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    no shaft ben.
    lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    im pretty sure it is the front balance shaft- you have to have the timing belt covers off to even find it.

Member Array
    You mean the crank will move in and out 10mm? Wow! That's some major movement there. The only thing you have to do is pull the tranny away from the block so you can get to the flywheel or torque converter. Then you can pull the crank out with out the rest of the parts.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR View Post
    You mean the crank will move in and out 10mm? Wow! That's some major movement there. The only thing you have to do is pull the tranny away from the block so you can get to the flywheel or torque converter. Then you can pull the crank out with out the rest of the parts.
    here is a pic of what i am talking about- i have circled the front balance shaft pulley.

if you were to grab the balance shaft pully you can move it freely in and out of the block 10mm.

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    LOL... 10mm... Really??? Sorry...
    I take it you discovered this problem because the engine was making odd noises?
    I think you probably have more, as yet unseen issues to come...
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    Quote Originally Posted by TODA AU View Post
    LOL... 10mm... Really??? Sorry...
    I take it you discovered this problem because the engine was making odd noises?
    I think you probably have more, as yet unseen issues to come...

Actually, the motor has never made any funny noises and i am one that is constantly listening to my motor all the time for the slightest noise.

The only way it was discovered was when the timing belt failed....Upon inspection of the timing belt it was apparent that half the timing belt was missing due to the balance shaft belt fouling on the timing belt. The constant rubbing on each other reduced the width of the timing belt to a point where the integrity was compromised enough for the timing belt teeth to sheer off. The reason for the balance shaft belt fouling the timing belt is the excessive end play.

Ive been reading through my workshop manual and it says this

front balance shaft end play
    standard ( new): 0.10- 0.35mm

if play is excessive, inspect the retainer and thrust surfaces on the balancer shaft.

the instructions in the workshop manual for removing either one of the balance shafts requires both the gearbox and flywheel to be removed so the front balance shaft retainer can be accessed.

others on the forum have stated i should just leave the balance shafts disconnected and secure them so they dont get in the way but im not convinced that this would be the best option.
    Last edited by h22a accord; 10-02-2007 at 06:15 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    update- it seems that the front balance shaft can be accesses from the side opposite the gearbox but it requires the removal of the exhaust "a" pipe, sump and oil pump.

so today, honda checked the front balance shaft retailer and found 2 small bolts that had snapped allowing the shaft to move.

new bolts are ordered, they will be fitted tomorrow and my car will be back to normal.

ahh ok so you thought it was between the motor and the gearbox?? you'd be able to get to it by just removing a few belts and other things. May even be able to get to it through the wheel arch.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    update......obviously i nedd 2 new bolts for the front balance shaft retainer but i also need a new retainer as the old one has been damaged by not being fastened where it should be.

The problem is now that honda dont make these parts anymore lol.

So i'm going to use the bolts and retainer out of my spare f22b engine. I am pulling it out tonight.

I just checked my f22b accord haynes manual and it shows a phot of the retainer and bolts and they look identical to the ones that came out of my h22a engine. I am assuming ( and hoping )that these 2 retainers will be identical as the f22b block is an identical twin to the h22a.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    ok, 1 hour later and the job is done, i completely pulled dowe one side of my spare f22b motor and removed the front blance shaft retainer and also the 2 bolts that fasten it.

Everything had to come off including oil pump, sump and oil pick up. glad i had air tools.

Now i just have to hand this sucker over to my mechanic at honda and it wont be long before im rolling again.