Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Legend SD4 1988 2.7

Honda Legend 1988 2.7 liters sedan (not starting)

I currently have a problem with it not wanting to run. Kicks over ok.
    Meaning, it was running smoothly from Sydney to Gosford. Parked the car for a couple of hours and it just did not start up. Starting is fine, engine will not run.
    (It also seems to be using more petrol than before, about 350 km on a 65 liter full tank city driving but careful driving)
    NRMA suspected it was the crank angle sensor as it had no pulse no spark to plugs. Had it towed to a Honda service agent and it is being checked as we speak. Ignition coil ok, crank angle sensor seems ok, they are still checking but are suggesting that it could be the ECU ?? I wonder if any one else had a similar experience with this model and willing to share there experience on this problem.

Thanks for any input.
    JM

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Its an EFI engine yeah? They checked the ignition coil but did they check the other parts of the distributor like the ignitor and cap?
    Also check the resistance of the Spark Plug leads and check the spark plugs themselves, and do a compression test on the cylinders

The ECU circuitry could also have dry joints and require resoldering.
    You might wanna also check the main relay for dry joints, but that usually causes fuel pump problems

Try cleaning the throttle body, change the engine oil, and replace the oil/fuel/air filters to try to fix the fuel consumption problem. Otherwise the pistons may be leaking compression and need reconditioning
    .© ♪

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    the ICM could have died. it deos not live in the dizzy like other hondas.

usually if the CKP fails, the car can still start from the CYP or TDC signal and go into limp mode.

still could be the coil. hope they tested it corectly.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Legend SD4 1988 2.7

Honda Legend 1988 Sedan 2.7 lt

Thank you both for your response, greatly appreciated.
    As I am not certain at this point in time as to which parts have been checked I will mention your input as a matter of opinion. One never knows the experience of others, that we need to rely on, in cases like this, but can only try to facilitate in bringing about some sort of resolution in rectifying such problems.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again for your input.

TRIPLE OG Array
    Car:
    b18c crx/that's
    while less likely i guess the main relay could be a possibility?
    many people seem to overlook it and i suppose could be an option if it's been fairly hot in your area?
    www.lozzz.com - car spotting, food and other random crap from Japan

could be coil, as mentioned...

could be ign system, as mentioned...

could be main relay, as mentioned...

however - fuel economy points to serious ECU issues...

replace with *known* good one, to rule it out before chasing the above issues...
    B20VTEC - since 2002