Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK>DC5R>S2K&JAZ

Is it ok to mix coilovers?

hey i was wondering if its possible to mix coilovers of a different rating or springs on the same damper.

for example.

Tein HA front damper + spring(10) with Tein Flex Rear damper + spring (5)

or even

Tein HA damper front and rear but with spring rating of 10 at front but Tein SS spring or a softer spring at the rear?

reason i ask is because Tein HA for the rear of the car feels a little too hard for my liking and i want it to be softer

Member Array
    Car:
    60-POV
    Shouldn't be a problem.

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 EK civic
    u can mix match anything coil over u want champ

then get different/custom springs for teh coilover ? rather than buy TWO sets of coilovers lol

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    w00ps ! edit: this is zico. wanna buy mine ?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK>DC5R>S2K&JAZ
    ah so its safe huh.
    well i was thinking using flex at the rear. or could i even use say tein S springs with HA damper?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    mix and match for perfection
    Club EM1 Represents - member 01 of 01

Member Array
    Car:
    Silver Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by EK4R View Post
    ah so its safe huh.
    well i was thinking using flex at the rear. or could i even use say tein S springs with HA damper?
    may create unpredictable handling. going softer in the rear will probably promote more under steer.(some one please correct me I'm speaking from memory)

what are the current spring rates?
    It might be better to go softer all round rather than going a lot softer in the rear.

better going with custom springs rather than going for off the shelf items.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK>DC5R>S2K&JAZ
    ^^. im using HA atm. and i believe they are 10-8 ?? or is it 8-6...its jap spec. im thinking to go 10-5

Member Array
    Car:
    Silver Coupe
    after consulting one of my stock car design books. (sorry only speedway tech manuals in the house)
    running the rear too soft will promote understeer. which i guess is a lot safer than oversteer(running the rear too hard)

I think you will find the car not as sharp in the corners but i assume that you want to do this for comfort reasons.

i would probably have a set of springs made and see how you like it. i wouldn't go out and buy new dampeners for the rear as its expensive and you wont see much difference between the two. a drop in spring rate by 3kg will be dramatic enough.

how is the car handling at the moment? lowering the rear spring rates you are going to dramatically increase the amount of understeer you experience while cornering.

i tried to dig around for info about HA spring rates but as they are no longer in the tein line up its hard to find any info about specs. i did find a reference to 10kg/mm front spring rates but I'm unsure if this was the standard.

as long as your happy with a dramatic increase in understeer and you don't track/drive too aggressively you probably wont have a problem.
    you wont be able to hold as much speed as you used to while cornering. The car will just go straight ahead into the gutter/cliff face/guardrail.

i'd be more inclined to get oversteer rather then understeer. At least with oversteer you're front wheels still have some use. (you can always point your way out of the corner and power out), whereas with understeer you've got less options.

As for mixing and matching, if you've got the same on the front two and and a different set on the rear you should be fine.

Don't go putting a D2 at the front left, a tein at the front right, Buddy club rear left and K-sport rear right. That'd be messy.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonGilholme View Post
    i'd be more inclined to get oversteer rather then understeer. At least with oversteer you're front wheels still have some use. (you can always point your way out of the corner and power out), whereas with understeer you've got less options.

As for mixing and matching, if you've got the same on the front two and and a different set on the rear you should be fine.

Don't go putting a D2 at the front left, a tein at the front right, Buddy club rear left and K-sport rear right. That'd be messy.
    In a FWD understeer will always be safer and more controllable than oversteer - mind you , are we talking of actual on-power oversteer , OR weight shifting oversteer ? (lift off etc).