Member Array
    Car:
    Long history

DIY: FITV removal, clean, adjustment B16a

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim:
    The Fast Idle Thermo Valve (FITV), is a vale under the throttle body in the older B series engines (b16a1 and the b18 in the da teg). Its purpose is to allow more air into the engine when it is cold.

I was having problems with my idle remaining stable when starting from cold.. so i thought i would check out the FITV to see if it was in fine working order on my b16a EF8 Crx.

Tools and parts:
    Pliers
    Screw driver
    Socket set
    Patience!
    Radiator Fluid

Steps:
    *I FOUND THIS TO BE A REAL FIDDLE AND F-ING ANNOYING JOB! No room to get to the hose clamps, hose stuck onto pipes.. etc etc.. Only do this if you really need to.. or else it will cause possible hours of pain.

1) Firstly remove your intake pipe.

2) Look at the throttle body. Directly under it is the FITV. There is 3 bolts holding it on (shown in green). And two radiator hoses (in blue).

3) So undo the 3 Bolts to remove it off the throttle body.. Some say they can open up the FITV with the hoses still connected.. i dont know how that would be possible with the room..

4) Now remove the hoses connected to it.. you will lose a bit of rad coolant, but nothing major.

5) You should then have the FITV out. (as you can see, i got pleasure from hacking one of the hoses)

and the other side:

6) Now you can remove the end cap but undoing the two bolts.. This will allow you access to the mystical innards!

7) Now you can access the valve. From the information i have read, you need to do the valve up tight by rotating it with a screwdriver in the notchs it has (one is shown in pink). You just get a flathead screwdriver and tighten up the valve in the housing (note the green threads one on the valve and one in the housing). Mine however was already tight, but others have had theirs unwind. So basically to adjust it just do it up tight.. I removed mine also to simply check it.

8) Now put it all back together and top up your radiator fluid (you may need to undo air bleed valve.. in other words, do it the proper way).

Additional information:
    Basically, i doubt it made a difference to my idle... I believe a simple ECU reset should fix my erratic idle during warm up.. but it is good to check out maintenance points such as these anyway... Was a friggen bitch to do though due to limited space.

You may also want to clean the ports on the throttle body to the FITV when it is off too!

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG4 B16A
    Mad write-up...
    Last edited by AsH_; 04-04-2007 at 11:30 PM.
    Got an old Videogame console, handheld, games and accessories. PM me! I want them

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda CRX
    which is the air bleed valve ? Nice write up... was going to do it... n lucky found a write up!! Thanks!! hey man... wat did u use to clean it up n where ? is it the same product as use to clean the throttle body ?

Cheers
    Last edited by genkimashi; 06-04-2007 at 02:38 AM.
    Any1 has a 2nd hand upper front n rear strut bar for a 88 ef crx for sale ? PM me plz...

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    there is a radiator air bleed valve, on the head on the drivers side..
    if you loose a bit of coolant it is good to open this up to expel air while refilling your radiator.. maybe check a workshop manual

when you remove the FITV, there are holes on the manifold where it attaches to.. they maybe be filled carbon or gunk.. i just used some carb cleaner to clean it a little

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Ah so the B16A does have an FITV!

Nice write up
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    also other cars have a FITV..
    l believe the b18's and the b16a2's
    but they have it on the throttle body instead of the manifold like in the pics

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG4 B16A
    after you cut the coolant lines from the FITV...

what hoses did you use?

i am going to change the hoses on my FITV when i get around to fixing my cooling system..
    Got an old Videogame console, handheld, games and accessories. PM me! I want them

nice
    Yo~~! Vtec go ! go ! go !

Check this :

Garage Sales ( Brand New items ) For sale : http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83889

Member Array
    Car:
    EGTWO
    can u run ur car with out the FITV??
    my skunk2 TB doesnt have a spot for it

does it also help on idle stable after engine is hot ?
    Yo~~! Vtec go ! go ! go !

Check this :

Garage Sales ( Brand New items ) For sale : http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83889

where is the air bleed valve located?

thanks