Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

VSA warning and Engine Malfunction light

Hi,
    I have a Euro Man '06, and recently both the engine malfunction light and the vsa warning light came on. I took the car into the honda service, and they said that ants have eaten into the computer. They recomended fumigation to prevent it happening again. They are replacing the pcm (control module). They said that honda will only replace it once under warrenty.
    Has anyone heard of this before?
    Also does anyone know where this computer is located? I wanted to see if I could see any of these computer eating ants.
    Also another strage thing is they say that "honda is aware of this problem in Wollongong" , whatever that means.
    cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    The VSA modulator control unit is under the bonnet marked in red here. Do you ever see ants under your bonnet?

Oh, ok, is that what that thing is. Thanks for the reply. I thought that thing you circled was something to do with ABS.
    I have never noticed ants under the bonnet, but i have seen them in the cabin on a few occasions. I will look at it more closely in the morning.
    Also, is the car safe to drive?The guy at the service place said it was safe to drive, but a second opinion would be good.
    Thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    I had a look at the workshop manual and it shows both the ABS and VSA control module as part of that unit circled.

So the shop told you it was definately the control module? Because the VSA also has other components like wheel sensors etc that could also trigger the same fault.

Your brakes should be working fine so I think your car is safe to drive.

Better buy some ridsect or bygone and start sparying.....

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Quote Originally Posted by tron07 View Post
    Better buy some ridsect or bygone and start sparying.....
    Or spray Baygon surface spray all over the unit and surrounding areas,the stuff that lasts for up to 1 mth.Weird??

BTW, never heard of ants biting/eating into rubber/metal eletrical components before...... super ozzie ants??

Member Array
    Car:
    TRX400EX,TRD 3500S & BT50
    my car came with like an infestation of japanese ants, all thy did was tune the vtec better

they must have been aussie ants!
    Bwwwwoooommmp

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5 Type R '03
    this happen to me like 2months ago.
    on a highway doing xxxkm/h at gear4 VTEC!!! then after like 20sec both light came on. left my car alone over night, VSA off. and the engine still there. then change engine oil. all good again
    '03 Integra DC5 Type R

Wakefield Park: 1:13.047 w/ street tyres
    Eastern Creek Int'l Raceway: 1:57.969 w/ street tyres
    Power: 155Kw with Mugen N1 ECU

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Spray Baygon surface spray in a ring around your car. That will prevent ants from crossing the border when you are parked. Do that both for home and for work (be careful if you have pets).
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Careful not to spray any fly spray onto the paint as it might be affected. I read this in Wheels magazine many years ago. You have been warned!

Member Array
    Car:
    TRX400EX,TRD 3500S & BT50
    were they jdm ants?
    Bwwwwoooommmp