Newcomer Array
    Car:
    92 EH Civic Si

How to check for continuity to ground?

Gday all,
    I'm doing a self-diagnosis for my ECU Code 9 - CYL sensor, and it asks to "check for continuity to body ground on both terminals of the indicated sensor". Now I know both terminals, and I know the ground terminal, but what do I do exactly with my multimeter?

Cheers!

Member Array
    Car:
    Gen 5 Prelude
    Set the multimeter to either the "ohms" or the setting it will beep when you hold the two leads together. Now your leads should be plugged into the common (Black) terminal and Volts (Red) terminal in your meter. This way your meter will test continuity.

Hold one lead on the ground terminal (a chassis bolt will do fine) and the other lead on the terminal/s you wish to test.

If your meter beeps, it means you have continuity.
    If it is on ohms scale, you will have continuity when it reads close to 0 ohms.

If it doesn't beep or have a low ohms reading, it means you don't have continuity.

Hope this helps!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    92 EH Civic Si
    Am I meant to check each terminal one at a time? I.e. place one lead on one terminal, one on the chassis bolt, then place lead on other terminal. Or am I meant to put one lead on both the terminals, and one on the chassis bolt?

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Exactly how 'iket' says.

If you need to test 2 terminals.

Hold one lead on the Chassis and the other on No.1 terminal. If it beeps you have continuity.

Keep the lead on the Chassis, but change the other lead over to No. 2 terminal. If it beeps again you have continuity.

Note: Its best to put the lead on the chassis (body) itself, because then it will also test the connection through the bolt connection
    Last edited by DLO01; 09-04-2007 at 09:54 AM.
    Deano.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    92 EH Civic Si
    Thanks guys

My multimeter doesn't beep, so I just put it on ohms. When I leave the probes in air it reads "1" on the left, which it doesnt change when I test both terminals with the chassis...so I'm assuming there's no continuity to ground?

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    You gota test your meter 1st. What happens when you touch the probes together? Do you get a reading or does it stay to 1?

Msn? dleimeister@hotmail.com
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    Gen 5 Prelude
    If you are getting a 1 on your meter, it means you are off scale... ie. the value of resistance is too high, meaning you have no continuity. If the meter doesn't beep or you get a '1,' hold your test leads together. If it beeps or reads '0' with your leads together, it means you have no continuity.

try a different ground ie. try a different bolt - door latch works fine, or chasis where there is no paint.

if still no 'beep' then you'll have to wear it and find where the wire goes, follow it if you don't have a circuit diagram and check for any cuts, nicks, making sure it hasn't been pulled out of it's terminal etc.

my guess is if it's meant to have continuity to ground, then maybe you could cut into that wire and connect it to a fresh ground. Do not ground the cable if it is a positive wire, coz then you'll blow a fuse or worse, start a fire

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    92 EH Civic Si
    Probes in air = 1__._
    Probes touching each other = __0.9
    One probe touching sensor, other touching chassis bolt = 1__._

So no continuity right?

Member Array
    Car:
    Gen 5 Prelude
    ... no continuity