Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Odyssey transmission woes

Hiya,

My 2001 Odyssey has got a transmission problem - basically it doesn't appear to have a drive anymore - doesn't engage at all. Apparently the transmission was rebuilt before we bought the car late 2004. For a 2001 model, this is a concern, because now it looks like this car is about to have it's second transmission rebuild in 6 years! And at this point I've been advised that it costs as much as $4500!

So....masters of all things Honda....does anyone now of any transmission bugs in Odyssey's causing such constant rebuilds, do I have grounds to take it back to Honda, the the cost exhorborant, and lastly is my car a lemon?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    From my experience with our old auto transmission in the Accord, rebuilds are never as good as an original unopened auto box. Our rebuild lasted only 2-3 months (lost 2nd gear). We rebuilt again and the same thing happened again after a few months. Then we bought a 2nd hand auto box from a written off halfcut. Eventhough the donor car was written off bad, that auto box is still working in our car, after 6 years!
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

ROKAGESAMA Array
    Car:
    2009 Lexus ISF
    odyssey's are great cars
    never heard of G box problmes on them
    my mum loves the odysseys and we've had them since the first gen and never had a problem not even a small warranty issue
    Team Bacchus Racing Lexus ISF
    Bacchus Energy drink
    Drive your Energy

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by [[d a n n y]] View Post
    odyssey's are great cars
    never heard of G box problmes on them
    my mum loves the odysseys and we've had them since the first gen and never had a problem not even a small warranty issue
    Thanks, but slightly irrelevant. I agree, the Odyssey is a great car and I've never had a problem, however this problem and the actual scope of it is worrying.

The true is that from information that I have now found on the internet, that Honda recalled Odyssey's in 2002.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...?from=storylhs

Also, warranty's were extended to cover transmission problems in Odyssey's as a result of some sort of backlash.

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question...5195052AAWeqRT

Given that my transmission would only have 60k on it in a 110k car (it's already been fixed once), these threads will form part of my action back to Honda to take on full respsonsibility and cover cost.

ROKAGESAMA Array
    Car:
    2009 Lexus ISF
    Quote Originally Posted by squizy View Post
    Thanks, but slightly irrelevant. I agree, the Odyssey is a great car and I've never had a problem, however this problem and the actual scope of it is worrying.

The true is that from information that I have now found on the internet, that Honda recalled Odyssey's in 2002.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...?from=storylhs

Also, warranty's were extended to cover transmission problems in Odyssey's as a result of some sort of backlash.

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question...5195052AAWeqRT

Given that my transmission would only have 60k on it in a 110k car (it's already been fixed once), these threads will form part of my action back to Honda to take on full respsonsibility and cover cost.
    check if your car had that recall service carried out.
    Team Bacchus Racing Lexus ISF
    Bacchus Energy drink
    Drive your Energy

basicaly if your cars out of warranty they wount pay for the repair.they arent the best gearboxs i have rebuilt a few and can get very expensive to repair.just better if you go for a exchange box

Well after 3 weeks and $4500 (inc gst) we have our Odyssey back on the road. Now the fun starts.

I wrote my first letter to Honda, and received the usual "we will look into the matter" reply.

Today I received the official reply - which has a great deal of holes to pick through it. Basically as HondaTechy wrote - they won't pay.

So now the fun starts.
    I've started to pick apart the letter from the Honda National Representative. This is pretty easy given that she stated that a "it is impossible to predict the life expectancy of any component considering the great variety of stresses under widely different driving conditions". Hmmm - I thought that Honda undertook millions of km's of development for each model under much more strenous conditions than ma and pa parent would. It is also great to hear that a gearbox is considered a "component", and therefore has the life expectancy according to Honda, as any light globe.

She also states, "whilst we realise that repairs are not welcome at any time, we are certain that you must appreciate that once the manufacturers warranty has expired any necessary repairs naturally become the responsibility of the owner". Fair point. However. The first time the gearbox failed was at 54,000 kms - within the first warranty period in 2005. That this second gearbox failed at 63,000 kms it therefore also failed to breach the 3 year warranty period for this type of "component". That this "component" has twice failed in this vehicle, I am close to considering not just my vehicle, but the Odyssey's as a whole, a lemon.

I also have a workmate who is having a similar gearbox problem with his Accord - funny that - it's the same type of gearbox fitted to the Odyssey.

So yes the fun has started. Firstly with me getting onto Honda forums warning people off the Odyssey. Secondly - with me writing a similarly swarmy letter back to Irene Price, Asst Mgr for Customer Relations. Thirdly - I wonder how my mates at ACA are going, because this is about to become an interesting ride for Honda.

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    *Drew pushes squizy off his high horse*

It sucks that you've had problems but it's a 6 year old car as it is; you really can't expect Honda to still cover every little thing on it... Sure if it was within warranty or just a few months out of warranty

It's just a part of owning a car dude; if you think you've had it bad... Be thankful you haven't bought a lemon Ford Falcon; when they go wrong they go wwwwrrrooooonnnggg
    *** How JDM am I ? ***
    ███████████████████ 120% ████

There is no can't.... there is only won't.

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    I have much of the same issues with post sales service from Honda (although over a different matter). I am now at a point with them where I have decided it is basically all to hard.

Interested to see though how you progress.
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    At least Honda are good with their spare parts...
    Unlike Toyota who tell you they have em in stock and will have em by noon... Then at 5:25 as you're going home they call you and say that it's 6 weeks ex Japan... ever.... ****ing..... time.... I swear they don't keep anything in stock in Oz
    *** How JDM am I ? ***
    ███████████████████ 120% ████

There is no can't.... there is only won't.

Member Array
    Car:
    EJ B20vtecTurbo
    Excluding new car warranty Honda warranty is 3 months for labour and 1 year for parts. If Honda Aus give assistance after your warranty period has run out they normally pay a % of the parts required to rectify the problem so if you have already fix your problem your pretty much screwed.
    EDGE AUTOMOTIVE

Quote Originally Posted by squizy View Post
    So yes the fun has started. Firstly with me getting onto Honda forums warning people off the Odyssey.
    I don't see the point, just because you've had a bad experience (on a 6yr old car and a rebuilt gearbox to begin with) doesn't mean that they're all bad.
    Thousand have been using the Odyssey and they're not complaining...

Personally, I think your requests are abit unreasonable.