Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15

Lightened Flywheel and a Stage 2 clutch

Hi all,

On Friday I got my Exedy lightened flywheel and Exedy Stage 2 clutch put in, thanks to BYP.

I opted to change my clutch and flywheel because of what I've been reading on forums and primarily because sometimes me car when I have it at friction point makes a hollow metal grinding sound. I thought this was because my clutch couldnt take the extra torque from my k24.

So I stopped by Friday arvo to pick up my car and was informed about shoddy work done to my car by my previously 'trusted' mechanic. [You all would of heard of him pm me if you want to know who] I had a whole list of problems, whom the BYP guys addressed. [They are down to earth honest dudes like most of us. +1 to them].

Turns out that hollow noise was because there was no bearing on my input shaft into my gearbox. Im talking about the bearing that holds the input shaft in place, I've deduced that the hollow noise I heard at friction point was the input shaft GRINDING. Luckily there was no serious damage, its just abit worn now on the end but still serviceable. K series boxes are beast imo. Its been a year since the engine conversion. So that kinda voided the whole reason why I wanted to upgrade, but when I took it for a spin I was converted into a believer!

So before the upgrade my friction point was kinda dull and wide, bit of lag gripping, but i didnt really notice until after. Now everything is brought to light, it's potential wasnt being unleashed, but now it is. I havent yet gave it a hard launch, im going to drive it easy for 500km then do it. But as im driving around day to day, the clutch grips so well, feels like the power from the engine is instantaneously transferred to the wheels. No slight lag like before.

My car revs alot harder and faster thanks to the 4kg flywheel. And also when I let go of the accelerator the revs dont really drop as bad as I thought from reading all the forum posts.

I like it. Serz. Do it.

Hell toe is alot easier,

So here's the pros
    - Car drives better as the clutch grips like a mofo
    - Lightened flywheel makes the car rev faster
    - Pedal feel has not significantly changed its still light [I initially had my grievances about this for daily driving but Jimmy assured me it'd be fine.]
    - No ugly sounding noises either [My friend had a dc2r with a Sports organi clutch and it sounded broken even though it wasnt, Im the type of bloke that absolutely loathes squeaks, rattles, etc]

Its good for my daily k24 dc5r. Just got to be cautious up slopes and stuff

Cons
    - Gotta get used to a new friction points. This clutch can be unforgiving if you are a noob. Dont think its a good idea letting people who aren't car- orientated drive too might stuff the clutch or stall and roll backwards

Here's a link to the seller that I got the Flywheel of the part no is HF02
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400260145...84.m1497.l2649

I got the Stage 2 clutch of Jimmy from BYP

Any questions just pm, ill integrate them into the post aswell to make it more concise if I missed anything.

Last edited by DakDak; 27-12-2011 at 03:30 PM.