Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Honda Civic Sports V Mazda 3 SP23 V XR5T

Hi all, I am in the process of researching my next car to replace my current work lease vehicle (Ford XR6T).

I will be keeping the XR6T as our "family" car, but am looking for an "everyday" car to go too and from work and don't require a large car for this purpose.....especially with the ever increasing fuel costs.

I'm currently looking at 3 specific cars :
    * Ford XR5T (non-Luxury option)
    * Mazda 3 SP23 Sedan (Luxury option)
    * Honda Civic Sports Sedan (pretty much comes with Luxury option as standard)

For performance, I'm pretty much happy with the Ford XR5T but don't want a Hatch...and the XR5T is pretty plain inside.

The Mazda and the Honda options are both very nicely appointed inside so I am probably going to go with one of these.

Rather than "knocking" the Ford and Mazda options, I would really appreciate positive feedback from anyone that currently owns/drives the Honda Civic Sport. I would also appreciate feedback on the Manual/Auto options. I've been driving Autos for the past 7 years and am considering getting a Manual to once again experience "driving" a car. However, I'm also concerned that I will soon get the heebee geebies while parking on the M2 (Sydney) every morning

So please, any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated

Member Array
    Car:
    integra ls
    if youre looking at the xr5t why are you not looking at:

golf gti
    mazda 3 mps
    volvo c30

The choice between hot hatch/luxury-ish hatch is not one other people can make for you.

You have to decide whats more important first, then make your decision accordingly.

Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic
    astra vxr looks cool inside out

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_will View Post
    if youre looking at the xr5t why are you not looking at:

golf gti
    mazda 3 mps
    volvo c30

The choice between hot hatch/luxury-ish hatch is not one other people can make for you.

You have to decide whats more important first, then make your decision accordingly.
    As I said above...don't really want a Hatch.
    In the case of the Mazda 3 MPS, which is a Hatch, the outside is just plain ugly. If they did it in the Sedan, I'd be interested.

This is why I was asking for opinions on the Honda Civic Sport & the Mazda 3 SP23 (both Sedans, both "luxury")...and specifically, I was hoping for feedback on the Civic Sport by current owners to compare the Manual and Auto versions.
    Last edited by Still Deciding; 25-05-2007 at 09:42 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    integra ls
    well by choosing not to get a hatch you are also removing anything remotely quick from your list.

sp23 is not quick, nor is the civic sport, but if thats what you want go for it.

if you ARE going to have a hatch (which you have indicated you are not entirely opposed to by including the xr5t in your list) then at least look at something other than a volvo engined poo heap.

why not a wrx?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_will View Post
    well by choosing not to get a hatch you are also removing anything remotely quick from your list.

Yes

sp23 is not quick, nor is the civic sport, but if thats what you want go for it.
    Again, yes.....more "luxury" orientated

if you ARE going to have a hatch (which you have indicated you are not entirely opposed to by including the xr5t in your list) then at least look at something other than a volvo engined poo heap.
    The only Hatch I am remotely interested in is the XR5T

why not a wrx?
    One word.....Insurance
    As mentioned....my speed fix will be covered by the XR6T which I will be keeping.

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 VBP DC5 TypeS
    i really don't know if you will be all that satisfied with either the Civic Sport or SP23 since you've already owned a XR6T.

Size wise, the Civic is larger
    I would get the Civic for the interior! I love it so much, I dare say I might even like it more than my TypeS interior...
    The new model Civic Sport with the 17" wheels pretty much seals the deal for me between it or the SP23

I also use to have a 2002 Integra auto. I was the 118kw version...pretty close to what the current civic's power plant. Autos are good for when you're in traffic jams. But they are definately slower than their manual counterparts. But the thing is both these cars are not fast anyway, so is there really any point getting a manual...and since you already have a XR6T for your speed fix, I would buy an auto if I was in your position.
    Last edited by Tofu; 25-05-2007 at 11:32 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    2008 Hyundai i30 CRDi
    i wouldn't get the civic sport. the performance doesn't even compare to the xr5t, and the "luxury" leather is really plastic/vinyl. add to that the road noise and random quality control issues, and you have a bit of a gamble on your hands.

Member Array
    Car:
    07 civic sport
    If your speed fix is catered for by the XR6T, then you would have only the Mazda and Honda left by default.
    I chose the Honda as it is more spacious than the Mazda 3 and looks newer. In my opinion, the Mazda looks dated.
    Also, most of the build quality grips mentioned earlier seems to be fixed in the 2007 builds. At least from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    If your speed fix is catered for by the XR6T, then you would have only the Mazda and Honda left by default.
    I chose the Honda as it is more spacious than the Mazda 3 and looks newer. In my opinion, the Mazda looks dated.
    Also, most of the build quality grips mentioned earlier seems to be fixed in the 2007 builds. At least from my experience.
    This is my feeling exactly. Your's is the first post that has begun to answer my original enquiry

Member Array
    Car:
    8thGen Civic VTi
    the golf gti is an awesome car to drive.. if ur after a sedan, why not look at the jetta? quality is v. good and u can get the gti drivetrain if u want a bit of extra poke

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Accord Euro lxry
    vw jetta, Mazda 3 SP23 good cars

holden astra turbo model good car but shit handling

I wouldn't recommend civic. 2006 models have problems

interior fitting hopeless on civics and accords

mazda has stuck to mazda6 and mazda3 for a reason, there sales show this.....reliability is what you want and mazda wins hands down.