Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EH9 B16a

DIY: Type-R style red rocker cover

heres my rocker cover beofore and after images don't have in pics of when i was doing it tho i will write up my steps tho.. mind u i am a spray painter so alot of equipment u might have to get will cost a bit, easly done for around the $50 mark

before:

Shot with FinePix F410 at 2007-07-11

after:

Shot with FinePix F410 at 2007-07-11

TOOLS EQUIPMENT: 1 can of crinkle Red paint or any colour preferance (availyble from auto barn, repco, supercheap etc)
    Paint stripper, brush, gloves, mask etc
    Scotch bright pads X2
    Prepsol (wax and grease remover)
    1K metal base primer (also availible in pressure pack can)
    heater or oven;
    prob an option as i said i worked in a pint shop so had the oven availible to me, i read a DIY article on this ages ago where i think the bloke put his in the oven? unsure weather to do this if u do make sure its on low temp, and be patient as mine took 2 days to fully dry, try not to touch after finishing it as it leave finger marks in the paint and chips off VERY easilly!

STEP 1:
    first of all i did was pull the rocker covoer off, easy, coupla bolts and nuts and done, don't forget when u have it off to cover ur head on the engine with a towel or plastic or something to stop dirt and dust etc getting in..

STEP 2:
    second off i got my cam gear cover section cut out but a mate who is a fitter and turner machienest, so didn't cost me anyhitng, maybe not a nesesiry to some ppl but was wot i wanted as im gettin a coloured timming belt.

STEP 3:
    go to your local paint supplier prob repco super cheap etc, and get some paint stripper, (remeber to wear necesarry safter equop for this mask, GLOVES etc) my cover was already yellow as u can see from the pics which had just been painted straight over the factory crinkle finish black as most of yours would prob be,
    simply cover thoroughly, don't be shy on this coat it on, and cover with plastic, i left mine over night prob a good hour os so should do it, becuase of mine being panted twice i gave it to coats of stripper,

STEP 4:
    grab your self a paint scraper and go to work, getting off as much off as u can, nest i used a red scotch bright pad and water (running hose) to get rid off all the excess, (this is inprotant to make sure all the stripper and any bits of paint flake are all gone, at my work i put it in a hot wash to ensure this, most prob owuldn't have this wo all i can sugest is maybe soak in in a sink of hot water or with a high pressure hose.

STEP 5:
    ok now heres the first stage off your painting prep work, all was left now was a bare metal cover, i then used a 1K base metal primer which u should again be able to get from your local paint shop, coverd that, not fully just a cover coat, then let that dry..

Step 6: now time for your paint, red wrinkle coat pressure pack,
    on the back it had directions as to how to do it so thats all i followed (i was also doing this in a propper spray oven so drying time between coats etc were cut, simply spray one coat diagonally, ur next will be horrozontaly, and third verticaly etc jsut following directions on the can..
    it is important to make sure u let the cover 'tak off' or go sticky between coats, in the oven i waited atleast 10min between each coats and even then was taking ages to dry,

as ur applying your coats your prob goin to find it is pink at first, when u come to your second it will be more red then when ur finished will be the full effect, also there isn't any reall crinkle effect untill FULLY dry,

also u will find there are spots uve missed and will just touch up certain bits, would strongly suggest agains it as now mine is finished some spots ahave a more crinckled effect in areas to others, just make sure u give good even coats each time..

STEP 6:
    now as for drying time at work i baked mine 3 times even under infer red lights and still took all that to dry, it says on the can to leave for 48 hours to fully dry which i htink is the best idea..

SPARK PLUG CENTER PIECE COVER:
    STEP 1:
    for this its a must to Prepsol (WAX AND GREASE REMOVER) the cover off as i found i got alot of wax and solvent boil through my first coats because of this,
    i used a scotch bright pad (which u probbly will already have) and prepsol givving it a good scrub, then dry it off and go over with a dry scotch pad to get any shiney bits u may have missed,
    nect shoose you colour u want for the centre piece i used a 2K silver with a blue pearl, if at home jsut agrab a silver spray can, will do the job

and there u have it, ur new type-r rocker cover, u may want to clear it i havne't as yet and am still unsure weather to or not jsut personall preffernace as i don't like the shiney look..

cheers guyz, any questions PM me

-Jase

Did u use the whole can?

wow, that turned out pretty nice!

Member Array
    Car:
    Monica
    one of the best DIY VC's ive seen nice werk

Member Array
    Car:
    EH9 B16a
    thanx guys, nah reackon i could just about squeez 3 covers in lol got half a can left..

That lookz hot man

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM DC2-R
    Excellent write up!
    Might try it out sometime.

You said your spark cover is painted as well?
    Got any pics of that?
    - [ * AℓвєятяoN ] illegal street racing is bad hao map ! says:
    haha. i'll marry you.
    ||nam|| says:
    ok thats just wrong

Member Array
    Car:
    Poo-goat 307
    how do you detail all the stubborn old paint that gets into the small areas, like arround the spark plug holes. they are such a bastard to get to.
    Last edited by ACTI0NMAN-1; 24-07-2007 at 12:05 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    It takes ages because its an enamel based paint...

The colder it is; the longer it takes to dry, with wrinkle paints the wrinkles will also be further apart

Member Array
    Car:
    EH9 B16a
    thanx guys, hit us up with some trade rattings (if ya can?)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyobibi View Post
    Excellent write up!
    Might try it out sometime.

You said your spark cover is painted as well?
    Got any pics of that?
    yeah the spark plug covers the silver bit in the middle of the cover in the pic lol

how do you detail all the stubborn old paint that gets into the small areas, like arround the spark plug holes. they are such a bastard to get to.
    how du get the paint off u mean? when u use the paint stripper gotta use a brush to, to get into all the hard to reach places, should also mention not to use it on the plastic spark plug cover other wise will eat into it..

You sure the primer can handle the temperature?

did you mask tape up the letters, or just put on some grease.?