Member Array
    Car:
    EM1

[DIY] Black EK civic carpet

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: Black EK civic carpet
    Required:
    - Ratchet
    - phillips screwdriver
    - 10 & 12mm socket for your ratchet
    - Staple gun (8-12mm staples)
    - Knife
    - 2m wide x 2.5m long black carpet (bunnings $32 a metre)

Steps:

Removing the interior

So basically this is what your civic probably looks like minus the mess

Start off by taking out all the bolts holding down your car seat, they are 12mm i removed them with a ratchet + 12mm socket

Your 4 bolts to the seat, don't loose these

Now remove your back seats, they basically have some wierd S shaped bar that holds it in place, it involves pulling it forward and backwords and pushing up to get it out. it takes a very strong pull upwords to get it out (i thought for awhile i was doing it wrong but after a good yank it pops out)

Knock ur back seats back and then rip out the carpet thats attached to them so we can get easier access to the side interior

There's a screw at the bottom where your feet would be in the back seat, loosen this to help remove your side interior

Take off the face cover grill for your rear speakers
    Then take off the screws that are fixed onto your car (not the speaker, you can keep that attached to save time)

This side interior wont come off easily unless u remove the boot interior too, so remove that big thing sticking out and then just click (pull) the interior out like so

Once out you can very easily just slide the side interior off

Take out your back seats by taking the side shafts out of the trim and out of your door, thisis fiddly and involves pulling and pushing

Theres 2 catchers for these side shafts, on the side and in the middle, it'll look like this pulled out. Hang onto all the shit that is on these shafts (like the washers that stop the back seats from sliding left and right)

to remove side interior is click it upwords because and you get this

Then there's some big ass bolt holding your seat belts in, remove them to remove your side interior

huge bolt!

Take out your door jam trim, we slide the carpet under this

this thing is attached to your door jam trim, it hides your ecu on passenger side and on other side not sure, but take it out it involves a screw

ghetto upholstory

Basically this is optional, but its underlay in your car. I did a few layers of this. it makes your carpet alot softer and also quieter, i didnt hear the road as much with this in. Basically it comes in a roll for about $25 you only need about 1/4 of it. Roll it out in your car and cut it where your gear knob is, handbreak etc.

Fix it down with a staple gun, there is less ghetto ways but it was about 1am and i cbf. If i was you guys, when trimming it, completely remove the underlay where the seat bolts are and along the side door trims or else youll have problems putting the seat back in cause the underlay may be so thick itd be hard to align the rails to the bolt hole.
    Do as many layers as you want, but id stick to about 2.

Roll your black carpet out and cut it exactly 1550mm wide, a EK civic is 1450mm wide but i needed extra so I could tuck it nicely under the side door trims

Spray stick your underlay, this sounds ghetto but it works!! this stuff is magic. spray on both the underlay and then on the backing of the carpet. this makes it stick better! use lots, but be even

Should look like this, when you put the carpet in, as you start from the back push the carpet out, cut out gearbox knob, handbreak, centre console etc. etc. right at the end you should cut out the bolts because you will shift the carpet alot and if you cut the bolts for your seat rail it may be a wasted cut cause it moves alot.
    with this what i did was after i did the back seat carpet, i cut the carpet in half and just ran it across the sides and it met up inside the middle console where ur gearbox and handbreak is

Very fiddly! but youll get used to it, try and limit your cuts, make things slide around eachothjer

Now put everything back in, in reverse order for your trims and then put your seats back in and viola. I also redid the wiring in my car, FYI do RCA/speaker on one channel and remote/power on other channel!

Doing your boot carpet is more or less same thing, you either piggy back the current carpet or you completely re do it and make holes for the screws that the old boot carpet comes with, you can fix it in your boot with either a false floor (another upcoming DIY) or using good old velcro, or gravity

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...r/IMG_0075.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...r/IMG_0079.jpg
    back seat

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 Vti-T 6psi
    dude that is so ghetto, but glad to see im not the only one with wiring on the outside of my carpet
    WTB: ED6 ftw/EFI D-series front cut
    For sale - Short-Ram Intake
    Buy My Car

Member Array
    farkk not bad at all

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    hahah it is ghetto, but it works. you guys would be surprised how well the side car interior has held the carpet mould. I regularly get 5 ppl in my car to go too the gym and the carpet hasnt worn out, or shifted at all. it has needed regular clean because black makes leaves and shit more obvious. but it still looks way better than grey.

mind you i hadnt planned this carpet removal and stuff, it was more of a "so what do i do next" cause i've never really torn the interior of any car apart. id probably recommend you guys take out the old carpet but by putting underlay and another layer of carpet it dampens ALOT of noise. i cant really hear the road as much anymore

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie
    anyone ever sound deadened the floor of there civic with deadener? i will be doing mine this weekend i will make a tutorial if people think it would be useful
    Is this the end of my car modding days? Buying a house says so...

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    the underlay and carpet is fairly thick, it quietens the car ALOT. I can hear the muffler ejust as much (a bit deeper) but i cannot hear the road at all anymore, i can imagine even better results with deadener as well as new carpet and underlay

Out of curiousity, what's the non-ghetto way?

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    rip out the carpet, cut the black carpet to shape and then get someone to match the mould with the new carpet either via plastic, or piggybacking the current carpet