Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser

DIY - EG Civic - JDM Double Din Audio Console review and Install - With Lyle

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor OzHonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To install New JDM Eg6 Double Din Audio Center Console

Time: Aprox 30min

Required:
    1 x philips Scissor
    1 x Eg6 Double Din Kit
    Possibly some super glue

The First, and often most challenging part of this upgrade is sourceing the necessary parts.Considering the Double Din EG console was not released in any Audm Version of the Eg civic and only some Jdm Models. Also Considering most Audm Eg interior colour is grey and most Jdm Interior colour is black, getting the Jdm Double din console in Audm Grey is quite rare. Overa 2 year period of keeping my eye open for this upgrade i have seen aproximately 4 for sale, which all sold within a few days, so if you want one and you see it for sale, dont hesitate and jump on it at all costs. The prices varied from between $100 and $400. Every honda wrecker i enquired at either, did not know what i was talking about, did not have any, or knew the part but had no clue where to source from. From all the companies i asked, none hand any direct contacts to source this part regulary. Only Yonis at JDM yard seemed to have a contactfor this part, which was a jdm Honda special order at $300.00

NOTE: - previous from this conversion i bought a complete console for the US ebay, which was a double din console for USDM LEFT HAND DRIVE. While this may seem near identical to the Audm Right hand Drive THIS DOES NOT FOR NOR CAN YOU MAKE IT FIT. Learn from my misstakes as i wasted near $200.00 on that.

Picture below shows how to distinguise the difference between Left hand Drive & Right hand drive consoles.

The Frame on the Left is to suit, AND ONLY suit Left Hand Drive (LHD) USDM. On the Right will suit our AUDM Right hand Drive (RHD). If you are looking around for one of these kits, the instant give away is the location of the ash tray and cigarette lighters. The LHD the Lighter is on the RIGHT and RHD the Lighter is on the LEFT.

Now lets get started
    Firstly Remove your old center and gear boot console. Gear boot console have 2 screws at the front on either side, as well as 2 under a cover in the middle where it separates into 2 panels. Center Console has 4 screws, 2 on the top going into your dash and 1 on each side. Shown in photos below.

Once both panels are removed it should look like such.

Now there is a frame that is needed to be built, which i found much easier to assemble on the console while it was removed from the car. The frame bolts to the front of your gear boot console. Hence, the top of the gear boot console at the front will need to be removed. This can be done underneath as there are 4 screws holding it in. Both Applicable for Cup holders and non-Cup holders

Along with the kit there *should* be more detailed instructions, on assemblying the frame. But basically there are
    a few parts.

* Mount (mounts to the 4 factory hols where the front was unscrewed from)
    * main Frame (bolted to the mount)
    * Face (bolted to the main frame)
    * Feet (bolted to the main frame and screwd up into your dash)

This will take the factory Cigarette lighter from your old console. To remove unplug the 2 wires from the rear. This will allow the lighter to fall into 2 parts, and be removed from your old console. Now reinstall into the new Face,
    just as it was removed. The kit will come with a small plug&play extention loomb, so do not worry it it doesnt reach.

Trail fit the outer caseing to the frame and make sure everything lines up nice! if doesnt check all screw connections and that everything is mounted correctly and securely.

Now place the console with the frame attached into your car and put the outer caseing around. This will bolt up to all the factory holes and mounts.

I would not recommend placeing any sort of Head unit in the double din console for the following reasons

* Single din with fold out screen, generally would not seem to clear the dash on folding out.
    * No way of secureing the head unit to the inside frame which would tend to allow it to move/flop around alot
    - not giveing a nice snug feeling (which everyone likes)
    * Possbly a double din headunit without a fold out screen would be the best bet, however was unable to test
    This option.

Personally i put in a single din sleeve, but was unsure how to mount/secure it there so ran a small layer of superglue to the frame to hold it tight in place. Also found on the market Single Din gauge pods that hold between 1 - 3 gauges. This is very handy utiliseing a neat factory slot, to mount a few gauges, without drilling/ruining anything interior pannels. Very much visible when driving but not so much to attract negative / police attention.

End of the day, even though this has cost me quite a substantial amount (2 consoles and much searching) i am very pleased with the result. Still waiting on my gauge pod so will update once i have it mounted. Thanks very much for reading and hopefully people here can learn from a few of my misstakes, advice and how i went about things.

BEFORE

AFTER

Please anyone with any feedback or comments, feel free to reply!

Thanks in advance

Regards Lyle
    Last edited by Sexc86; 04-12-2007 at 08:19 PM.
    Light up with Lyle - Electrical / Communications / Instrumentation

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    eg civic
    good stuff!

looks neat

Member Array
    Car:
    murcielago
    i would never sacrifice cup holders,
    but either way looks good, so now your dvd screen tilts! and its lower, you wont get done from the cops if its on.. ands its not facing the driver.
    EG5 Powered by DR HONDA
    Tune By: Scott @ Insight Motorsport

QSR Customs

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    ^ That was the theory... but unfortunately i had to remount it back in the normal console as the screen didnt clear the bottom of the dash

Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic
    i've always liked this mod in EGs cause have always thought they had such a plain dash board...

but looking at it more and more... i think the stock EK one is so much better cause its more functional... especially with the cup holders

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    possibly... my gf has a ek. however every ek has one which takes the "baller" factor out ahaha. Also found some Single Din push out cup holders similer to that in the ek so shouldnt be too bad

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexc86 View Post
    possibly... my gf has a ek. however every ek has one which takes the "baller" factor out ahaha. Also found some Single Din push out cup holders similer to that in the ek so shouldnt be too bad
    Nice one bro

I need to do something like this for my Boost and Oil Pressure Gauge but there's no way in hell I'm give'n up my cup holders lol

I use em every day
    161.4KW ATW Tuned By TODA
    EG5 JDM B16A SiR-II TURBO

13.28@106.6mph 2.117 60ft On RE001

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    You can buy cupholders that would fit the double DIN...

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1985 View Post
    You can buy cupholders that would fit the double DIN...
    Oh nice, got a pic Paul?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    Nah. You can buy aftermarket black pop-out cup holders.
    Even a cheapo one that you put on your fan vents but they are pretty crap i reckon.

I seen them in autobarn once.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1985 View Post
    Nah. You can buy aftermarket black pop-out cup holders.
    Even a cheapo one that you put on your fan vents but they are pretty crap i reckon.

I seen them in autobarn once.
    Oh IC

I like the quality Honda onces