Newcomer Array
    Car:
    94 vtir - b18c7

B18c engine replacement

I just fried my b18c engine in my 94 vtir integra, timing belt went and it didnt like that, costs too much to salvage. Just wondering if anyone could tell me if the type r engine is a simple replacement, as this is the only engine i can find. Its out of a 96 and is a half cut. How much work is involved? Any help would be great.

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    the engine u have now is b18c2, the type R is b18c7 and yes its a direct fit into ur existing mounts. not that much work is involved, as long as the engine is newer than the chasis its all good. should be pretty simple replacement by any good mechanic.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    94 vtir - b18c7
    Can you use the existing ecu or is this a bad idea? I assume the exhaust manifold will bolt straight on as it is virtually the same engine

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    exhaust should bolt up, if there is a problem it will be in the height or length of the exhaust system.

you should get the loom and type r ecu and you should be set.

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2 & da9
    b20vtek yo

hows the condition of the head?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type S 05
    Quote Originally Posted by taman View Post
    b20vtek yo

hows the condition of the head?
    if his timing belt snapped then i assume he has probably bent valves as they hit the pistons....so his head is probably in pretty bad shape.there goes the b20 vtec idea
    CHEAPEST PRO DIY

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    94 vtir - b18c7
    Yeh the head is the biggest problem, all the valves bent, and it will cost about 3000 just to rebuild it, its not in very good shape. Apparently the engine overheated aswell, so the pistons are fried. Although he hasnt pulled the pistons out and actually checked them he says they smell fried, i think thats a bit suss, id like to see these fried pistons before i invest in a new engine, wouldnt u agree?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type S 05
    yeah i wouldnt really trust someone saying your pistons 'smell fried'.head definitely would cost a bit.what actually happened....1.you were driving along and the belt snapped,valves smashed pistons and engine seized?or 2.did the engine overheat,then the belt just happend to snap....an overheated engine shoudnt cause the belt to snap. Usually when you overheat a car,first the head will warp slightly,thus allowing coolant or oil to escape where it shouldnt be because the head gasket is now not pressed down properly,hopefully you stop then,but if you keep driving,things get so hot they eventually seize,posibly your engine got really hot,piston seized in the block and this caused the timing belt to snap as everything stopped suddenly.......then yeah,your engine (block and head) is shagged
    CHEAPEST PRO DIY

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    94 vtir - b18c7
    Nah it was quite simple the person that put the timing belt on must have been the worlds worst mechanic because he didnt adjust it, it had been slipping for a while. I had it quickly checked by another mechanic and they didnt notice anything wrong. Anyway, im not too sure when the car overheated, but it wasnt burning oil and never blew smoke, thats why i think it happened around the same time as the timing belt. I always thought the car should have had more power, but i guess i found out the hard way. You wouldnt no on average how much it should cost to drop a new engine in. I have one lined up now, but dont feel confident doing myself as i dont have equipment.

Member Array
    Car:
    Nissan Micra Type R
    B18c7 conversion would be your best bet. Even if the pistons arn't 'fried', its a straight swap yet a new ecu will be needed plus possibly a brake upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by macdog320
    You wouldnt no on average how much it should cost to drop a new engine in. I have one lined up now, but dont feel confident doing myself as i dont have equipment.
    Roughy 1k, depending on mechanic.
    NHB DC2R

TYP 20R

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    94 vtir - b18c7
    One final question, does the vtir and type r use the same transmission. Will i have problems with different clutches? Thanks heaps for your help guys.

Member Array
    Car:
    Yellow EG =D
    better to go with the new gearbox since it offers lsd and a better fd.
    about the clutches, not too sure if they are different BUT should be interchangeable amongst the b series.
    WINTON PB - 1:48.9
    EG5 1.6L SOHC