Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude

DC2 Weight Reduction

Hey I know lots of people my age wanted to start weight reduction on their cars but dont know where to start, so I was doing some research on weight reduction and couldnt find too much around on the forums here, mostly because im useless with the search function. But I found this on another website about DC2 Integras, even though I drive a DA9 I found it pretty usefull too, i converted the pounds to kilo's.

It is from the website www.importmodifications.com

1994-2001 Honda Integra

Listed below are some easily removable items:

1. Passenger Seat - Removing the passenger seat is a very easy and effective way to give your Integra a small boost in power. The nice thing is that the seat is only held in place by 4 bolts.

2. Rear Seat - The rear seat is a little more complicated to remove than the passenger seat. When removing just remember where everything goes and it should be easy to put back in place whenever needed.

3. Rear Seat Cushion - The rear cushion should be removed at the same time as the rear seat.

4. Floor Mats/Front and Rear - This has to be the easiest weight reduction available for the Integra owner.

5. Tire Floor Cover - The tire floor cover is right underneath the rear hatch carpeting.

6. Spare Tire and Jack - Another easily removable item.

Intermediate Skill Weight Reductions

The weight reductions included below can even prove more effective than some of the reductions included above. However, once you start removing these items you are taking away from the cars overall appearance and in some cases its more predominent ammenities.

7. Air Conditioning - Be sure to remove everything from the engine as well as behind the dash. Should be completed by the experienced only.

8. Front Hood - Replacing the Front Hood with a lightweight fiberglass or carbon fiber hood is a great way to remove some weight around the front end of the car. If you dont intend on replacing the entire fron hood you could also remove the sound dampener on the inside of the hood. This should help in cooling your engine a little.

9. Stock Wheels - Replacing the wheels is a must for anyone seriously interested in increasing there cars performance. The stock wheels are quite heavy and can be replaced with a variety of aftermarket models. We would suggest searching for lightweight wheels. Replacing your wheels with lightweight wheels will dramatically increase your cars acceleration. We suggest not going over 17 inches if maximum performance is what you desire to achieve.

10. Front Drivers Seat - Replacing the two front seats in your Integra with lightweight racing alternatives can save you a dramatic amount of weight. We suggest going with lightweight carbon fiber or fiberglass seats.

More Weight Reductions

Stock Flywheel - Can be replaced with lightweight aluminum flywheels.

Stock Steering Wheel - Can be replaced with lighter performance steering wheel with no airbag.

Passenger Airbag Removal - Can save some extra weight as well. (Not recommended for normal driving)

Interior Panels - Both the drivers side and passenger side front door panels as well as the rear panels can be removed.

Stock Speakers - The power antenna as well as the stock stereo and amplifier can also be removed to save weight.

Rear Hatch Cover - This can simply be removed whenever needed.

Replace Stock Exhaust - The stock Integra exhaust weighs considerably more than some of the aluminum aftermarket exhausts. We suggest going with GReddy Cat back exhaust or Borla Cat back.

Wiper Motors - Although they are generally needed under almost all driving conditions they CAN be removed if need be although we do not personally recommend it.

Carpet - Removing the carpet as well as the carpet lining underneath will reduce the cars overall weight.

Hope this helps,
    Tom
    Last edited by LaZaZaL89; 15-02-2008 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZaZaL89 View Post
    Hey I know lots of people my age wanted to start weight reduction on their cars but dont know where to start, so I was doing some research on weight reduction and couldnt find too much around on the forums here, mostly because im useless with the search function. But I found this on another website about DC2 Integras, even though I drive a DA9 I found it pretty usefull too, i converted the pounds to kilo's.

It is from the website www.importmodifications.com

1994-2001 Honda Integra

Stock Weight - 1199.55Kg's
    Stock Wheel Weight - 7.41lbs each/without tires

The 1994-01 Honda Integra's weigh approximately 1199.55Kgs, dividing by the horsepower of 140, we get about 8.57Kgs/hp.

The GS-R Model weighs approximately 1212.27Kgs, dividing by the horsepower of 170, we get about 7.13lbs/hp.

Type R owners will benefit the most from weight reduction. The Type R weights a respective 1199.55Kgs, dividing by the horsepower of 195, we get about 6.15Kgs/hp.

Listed below are some easily removable items:

1. Passenger Seat (16.82kgs) - Removing the passenger seat is a very easy and effective way to give your Integra a small boost in power. The nice thing is that the seat is only held in place by 4 bolts.

2. Rear Seat (13.18kgs) - The rear seat is a little more complicated to remove than the passenger seat. When removing just remember where everything goes and it should be easy to put back in place whenever needed.

3. Rear Seat Cushion (4.55kgs) - The rear cushion should be removed at the same time as the rear seat.

4. Floor Mats/Front and Rear (2.73kgs) - This has to be the easiest weight reduction available for the Integra owner.

5. Tire Floor Cover (1.36kgs) - The tire floor cover is right underneath the rear hatch carpeting.

6. Spare Tire and Jack (14.55kgs) - Another easily removable item.

Total Easy Weight Removal = 53.18kgs or about a 6.2hp increase on base , 7.4hp on GS-R, and 8.6hp on Type R.

Intermediate Skill Weight Reductions

The weight reductions included below can even prove more effective than some of the reductions included above. However, once you start removing these items you are taking away from the cars overall appearance and in some cases its more predominent ammenities.

7. Air Conditioning (18.18kgs) - Removing the air conditioning will net you a reduction of about 40lbs. Be sure to remove everything from the engine as well as behind the dash. Should be completed by the experienced only.

8. Front Hood (22.73kgs) - Replacing the Front Hood with a lightweight fiberglass or carbon fiber hood is a great way to remove some weight around the front end of the car. Total weight reduction will be close to 22.73kgs or greater depending on the aftermarket hood you choose.. If you dont intend on replacing the entire fron hood you could also remove the sound dampener on the inside of the hood. This should help in cooling your engine a little.

9. Stock Wheels (7.41kgs each/replacement weight from 5kgs each) - Replacing the wheels is a must for anyone seriously interested in increasing there cars performance. The stock wheels are quite heavy and can be replaced with a variety of aftermarket models. We would suggest searching for lightweight wheels. Replacing your wheels with lightweight wheels will dramatically increase your cars acceleration. We suggest not going over 17 inches if maximum performance is what you desire to achieve.

10. Front Drivers Seat (18.18kgs-27.27kgs/replacement weight from 6.36kgs) - Replacing the two front seats in your Integra with lightweight racing alternatives can save you a dramatic amount of weight. We suggest going with lightweight carbon fiber or fiberglass seats.

Total Intermediate Weight Removal = up to 85.45kgs or a 9.9hp increase on base, 12 on GS-R, and 13.3 on Type R.

More Weight Reductions

Stock Flywheel - Can be replaced with lightweight aluminum flywheels or machined down in excess of just 5.91kgs.

Stock Steering Wheel - Can be replaced with lighter performance steering wheel with no airbag.

Passenger Airbag Removal - Can save some extra weight as well. (Not recommended for normal driving)

Interior Panels - Both the drivers side and passenger side front door panels as well as the rear panels can be removed to save in excess of over 18.18kgs.

Stock Speakers - With a weight of nearly 1 kilo a piece these can also be easily removed. The power antenna as well as the stock stereo and amplifier can also be removed to save weight.

Rear Hatch Cover - This can simply be removed whenever needed. Weight is close to 2.73kgs.

Replace Stock Exhaust - The stock Integra exhaust weighs considerably more than some of the aluminum aftermarket exhausts. We suggest going with GReddy Cat back exhaust or Borla Cat back.

Wiper Motors - Although they are generally needed under almost all driving conditions they CAN be removed if need be although we do not personally recommend it.

Carpet - Removing the carpet as well as the carpet lining underneath will reduce the cars overall weight by close to 18.18kgs. Removing excess wiring and bolts and brackets will also net you a reduction of close to 4.55kgs.

Hope this helps,
    Tom
    a summary of the above

take out anything and everything you don't need...

Member Array
    Car:
    Camry
    Don't think you are allowed to remove the airbags from a vehicle, along with the passenger seats too.

2. Rear Seat (13.18kgs) - The rear seat is a little more complicated to remove than the passenger seat. When removing just remember where everything goes and it should be easy to put back in place whenever needed.
    I dont remember my rear seats weighing this much wtf. LOL
    '12 PWP Tree Hugging Machine
    '99 GPW S2000
    '99 CW DC2R

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude
    @ Kazaf
    That really sucks if you cant remove the passenger seats >.<, and yeah the guys at motoquipe said it was illegal to remove airbags, but it does say not recommended for normal driving

@xntrik
    13kg isnt that much when you actually lift it though, did you weight yours lol? especially when you consider the size of the seats only weighing that much... Nice car btw LOL

6. Spare Tire and Jack (14.55kgs) - Another easily removable item.
    it is illegal , dude.

I suggest u just go to get a shopping trolley , install ur engine on there and then drive it....

then ur "car" will go alot more faster.......if u want to "lightweight" lol
    Last edited by dynosaur; 13-02-2008 at 10:32 PM.
    Yo~~! Vtec go ! go ! go !

Check this :

Garage Sales ( Brand New items ) For sale : http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83889

@ Kazaf
    That really sucks if you cant remove the passenger seats >.<, and yeah the guys at motoquipe said it was illegal to remove airbags, but it does say not recommended for normal driving

@xntrik
    13kg isnt that much when you actually lift it though, did you weight yours lol? especially when you consider the size of the seats only weighing that much... Nice car btw LOL
    i swear it only weighs like 5kg at max.
    >_> my bonnet was actually more heavy.
    my spare tire and jack feels way more heavier.
    '12 PWP Tree Hugging Machine
    '99 GPW S2000
    '99 CW DC2R

Gotot the toilet before you drive. I weigh roughly 2kgs more at night and that can only be attributed to holding water among other things..
    78 Civic "Hondamatic"

WTB: 4x120 Wheels. Any kind!

Banned Array
    Car:
    DC2-R
    I found that awsome! Thanks man... Most of this stuff I have done, or I remove before a track day.

I must have to say, this is not recommended on a stock DC2R with stock sussy. Reason being is that it throws out the weight distribution. Did you know Honda Japan balenced the sussy with a 45 - 55 kg male in the car?? Who the f**k weighs this little! This is where after market coilovers come in handy, where you can adjust the corner heights depending on corner weights.

Make sure you get the corner weights done when you are sitting in the car, with all the weight reduction you are going to have done for a race day, where cornering and stability really counts.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    Quote Originally Posted by dynosaur View Post
    it is illegal , dude.

I suggest u just go to get a shopping trolley , install ur engine on there and then drive it....

then ur "car" will go alot more faster.......if u want to "lightweight" lol
    You sure that ones illegal?

removing anything that is OEM from your car , is illegal unless engineered.
    IE defectable ! Guys , be safe and dont get too carried away , some things are there to save your life ! (airbags etc)

Banned Array
    Car:
    DC2-R
    when you remove your back seats, take out your seat belts also... It saves a bit of weight there. Also the side mirrors are a bit bulky too - replace with Vision /Spoon mirrors.

Also... Adding stickers actually reduces weight! :P