Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie

sound deadening wheel arches

This was covered previously but this a better pictured guide of using brush on deadener. The other DIY is spray on, which is more costly and less effective as the brush on gear as it is a better compound and a thicker amounts can be put on.

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To quieten tyre noise

Required:
    Wax and grease remover
    Brush on sound deadener (4L drum is heaps enough to do all 4 wheels)
    paint brush
    srcubbing brush
    plenty of rags
    jack and car stands

Steps:

jack the car up. make sure the weight is held up by stands not the jack.

remove wheel.

there will be years of dirt and tar etc built up one the arch. this will all need to be cleaned off with a good scrub and wax and grease remover.

once the bulk crap is of and you see the paint give the paint a wipe with a clean rag and wax an grease remover to remove all the residue.

then cover your brakes and suspension with rags to stop any drips from falling on them and paint away. start with a thin coat and build it up as thick as possible. a layer 3-4mm is easily obtained.

do the areas of the arch that are between you and the cabin. no use deadening the engine firewall etc.

Other comments:
    This difference was instantly noticeable! almost no tyre noise!

if you were to use the entire 4l drum of deadener that would only be about 4-5kgs of weight. the whole drum isn't needed to do the car tho. i only used 3/4of the tin to do a very heavy coat on the rear and 2 heavy coats on the front. for hardcore save weighters not for you but those in bigger cars or those wanting a quiter ride but don't mind a extra 2-3kgs definately worth the 40 bucks for the deadener!
    Is this the end of my car modding days? Buying a house says so...

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    Nice one, I'll have to try this one day.

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    Very good write up mate

Might i add for general population sake what type of brush was used to apply this?

Btw Have you sound deadened the inside wheel arche's in the back?

Friend did that and that also made a Big difference
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie
    i just used a cheap old wide paint brush. it wrecks them afterwards so any brush will do as long as your willing to part with it.

i did 2 coats front wheels and a very heavy coat on the rear. made a massive difference.

for those that don't know my car i did this and then this to it and i could still hear a big difference
    Last edited by 55EXX; 11-03-2008 at 10:39 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    MY08 WRX G3
    would u know where to sound deaden to reduce cabin drone?lol

Member Array
    Car:
    EG brusier, STi type R
    Some of these sound deadening methods are quite tasteful I must admit. This, coming from someone who has no carpets, insulation, tar sound deadening etc....

I might place some insulation strategically to 'tune' the sorts of noises I get coming through to the cabin.

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    out of curiosity how much total weight was added to your eg 55exx?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie
    to guess i'd say no more than 40 kg. i've done EVERYTHING.... nearly. wouldn't mind more.... somewhere... i know the front firewall i haven't done. could not be f**ked taking the dash off! done the doors, wheel arches, floor, boot, rear qtr panels and felt in boot and floor. the wheels arches would only be less than 4kg tho as i used less than 3L so far now after bout 3 layers.

my hidden secret

i've got 2 bulk packs plus heaps of flashtac plus deadening felt plus paint on stuff. basically $700~ of sound dampening. click my sig link to see my semi build thread. haven't bothered adding more. might make a proper one when i get time. i've done heaps since that ancient thread.

GIPONU : for exhaust drone thats all in the mufflers man. that is a whole car resonance. you could deaden the boot like i did in my thread (approx $60 going cheapie, dynamat painted with brush on gear and felted would be heaps more) but that would be no where near as effective as another hotdog put in your exhaust (~$60). dollar for dollar the extra hotdog would eat the deadening alive.

STiR : i would also be looking into strategically placing closed cell foam between panels etc that vibrate against other panels etc. you can buy it at bunnings too. being closed cell it doesn't hold moisture so it is safe to use and is also adhesive backed, like tape, so its heaps easy too.

this is my daily car i did over 50k in it last year the deaden has been a life saver. it made my car no longer feel noisy, thin, rattly and changed it into a newer more luxurious feeling ride. i was actually amazed how much sound the arches removed hence why the DIY i posted. it was so good i had to share.

i have holidays coming up and might make a proper build thread to actively kill time.

Respect!

I've done the exact opposite and i can tell you that driving on the highway with my headunit cranking my little speakers as loud as they go, still doesn't make the music loud enough to hear. haha.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie
    going down the noisy concrete m1 i cannot even hear the road noise past my music

taking out your deadener. respect

each to their own. i'd love to buy another eg si and tear the inside out like Marko's ek. no $$$$$ for another car.... not yet anyway... looking into buying a house. bye bye car mods.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG brusier, STi type R
    This is what my daily driver interior looks like:

Will add some carpet and insulation in the back I think, and I'll put the rear plastics back on with some foam under there. I'll try and keep it light, will avoid tar. Though some tar on the wheel arches (3-4kg) is acceptable i think, if it considerably cuts down tyre noise (I have noisey AZENIS RT615s)...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie
    talking of respect heaps props to you man!

yeah its tough with something like that. i'd get in the back while someone is driving and put your finger/hands on panels sus of vibrating and feel them. if you can physically feel that panel vibrating it might help doing that area. tar deadener acts in 2 ways, it adds weight and slows vibration due to the increased force required to move that panels increased weight and absorbs that kinetic energy and turns it into heat in the tar, unnoticeable. if it is quite violent in its vibration, the amount of weight needed increases which might be bad in your case, structurally increasing that panels resistance to movement, that creates sound, also does the same thing.

good luck man.