Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    looking to buy

RWD B18C into COROLLA :D

hey guys. joined a few weeks ack after spotting a nice civic im looking at buying. i come from a LONG line of corollas and 4AGE engines, and am an apprentice mechanic. i also like long moon lite walks along the beach :P

yesterday got bored so starting stripping my KE55 RWD corolla. (1981 model) (one of many cars i own) and pulled the motor out. then started thinking of a motor i could put into it. 4a's have ben done to death, CA18, and SR20's the same. 6Ltr V8's, RB motors, 308's.. the lot, all been done before. but never a honda Bseries.

so i turn to you guys. anyone ever seen anything like this been done before, or even heard of a B series motor being converted to RWD.

obviously i need a box (supra W58 5 speed) custom bellhousing, possibly a custom input shaft to accomodate the B18 crank end.

custom flywheel to suit a clutch made for this shaft. intake manifold (thinking of runnign ITB's to save cutting and shutting the manifold)

engin emounts obviously need to manufactured (ill line up the motor and just cut and reweld some mounts as a dummy, then make a strong set).

considering the motor will be realitvley stock, would the B16 cable type clutch suit? and did the ITR B18 come with a cable clutch or only hydo? cable would be much easier to set up as i wouldnt need much mods to the pedal box.

Does anyone know, or be able to measuer the height of a Bseries motor from bottom of the sump to top of hte rocker covers.

the dizzy is at the rear on B motors arent they? is there an off the shelf item that fits in there for a CAS to run coil packs? what about the VTEC solenoid, thats there aswell isnt it? do you like my chances of fitting it behind the motor between teh firewall??

i know you prolly wont know corollas, but hey, you know honda :P

any help would be greatly appretiated

Cheers
    Nathan

Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic
    how about a f20c from the s2000
    i remember seeing one for sale for the same price as a b18c!

go the F20c man, makes 160kw at the fly stock.

plus the money that you will have to throw in for custom flywheels/gearbox customisations/misc stuff etc will be the same price of a f20c without the hassle

..that being said im pretty sure that there is a RWD B16 kit car in the states. google it and see if you come up with any information, as im not sure where to find it.

EDIT:
    oh and also, forgot to mention. there is a RWD k20 in the states too, have a look on K20a.org and its on there somewhere.

i beleive they used a toyota sprinter gearbox with a custom bellhousing.
    Last edited by LUD35; 07-04-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    Woah! would be awsome! welcome to ozhonda. Cant really provide you with any usefull info.. but encourage you to get it off the ground!

I do believe only the Early series B16a had the cable clutch (late 80s) i believe all 90s bseries engines B16/b18 etc only came with Hydro. However i believe all Bseries Boxs are interchangeable but only the ITR (integra type R B18c5) came with a LSD (unless its a JDM spec) and that box is hydro. Please correct me guys if i am wrong.
    Light up with Lyle - Electrical / Communications / Instrumentation

Member Array
    Car:
    looking to buy
    wow such quick replies

thanks for the insight fellas.

ill look into costs for both B series and F series a bit more. and let you know what i decide to go with.

if it blow out of proportion to much, i might just stick with a 1.*L stroker 4AGE with my quads :P

Member Array
    Car:
    looking to buy
    oh and Sexc - box wouldnt really matter, i would only be using the clutch fork out of it if anything. but thank you anyway.

when yo uthink about it.. it makes sense... these cars weigh less then 900kg in full weight with the old boat anchor steel peice of shit 4K motors. i dare say ANY honda motor would be lighter, and well and truley mroe powerfull :P

will keep everyone posted.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type S 05
    i suspect f20c will come out cheaper in the end with less custom parts needed,sounds like a great project,alot of work.goodluck
    CHEAPEST PRO DIY

Member Array
    Car:
    looking to buy
    well i have been dogn some reasearch and aking some calls over teh last couple hours, and it seems that this idea, while i woudl LOVE to do it, is financially out of my reach, with my new civic purchase coming up, and B16 conversion into that, i think i will have to stick with a toyota 7AGE build like i originally wanted.

maybe in a year it will get a honda motor, but now its just not pheasable

however a mate of mine (another member) was also considering a similar conversion

thanks for the helps again guys.

Member Array
    Car:
    Clio RS197
    there is a member on the forum that makes clubmans (open wheeler type cars) with his dad. He has put a K24 in one of them and has made it RWD, could be an idea to have a chat to him, as the K24 engine itself is "cheap" yet still gives good performance (considering you'd be putting it in 900kg car and it originally came from a 1400kg car)

Good luck

Member Array
    Car:
    fd1
    arent there a few ae86 with f20 conversions?
    2012 BMW S1000rr - 184whp, 9.733s @ 148.27mph - Quick enough!
    2006 Honda Civic - 101whp, 61s BBGL Short - When I need a bbt.

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Nath,
    The B-Series is a reverse rotator....
    I hope you've considered this...
    (Maybe turn your dif upside down)
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    mate id love can you point me to a good forum regarding 4aGZE conversions, i just picked up an IMMACULATE KE70... 79k kms on the clock...