Member Array
    Car:
    08 FD1, 10 CJ

Civic VTi wheels questions

Hey all,
    Been searching the forums a bit as thinking of replacing the the stock 15" steel wheel on the 2008 Civic VTi.

From what i can read, the standard offset is 45 for the VTi with stud pattern 5 x 114.3. How much difference in offset is acceptable (eg: If i am purchasing secondhand honda wheels with offset of 43 would that make any diff in terms of handling/performance etc?, do I need new tyres or can i just use my old stock ones?). Also the Honda website quotes the wheel size as 15 x 6 J, i take it that means 15" diameter and 6" thick, if I buy a set of 15" rims with same thickness, can i just take off my stock tyres from the steel wheel and put it on the new wheels so I don't have to purchase the tyres?

I am still new and learning about all these, so thanks in advance.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic FD1, Impreza, GE6
    do wad i do...i went to a tyre shop straight awae and traded in the steel wheel for a new set of rims and tyres...i ended paying 800$ crossover for a 17" lenso with new tyres of a 215/40/17...which is larger than the stockers...they took 100 each wheel

Member Array
    Car:
    08 FD1, 10 CJ
    Didn't know tyre shops take trade in for old tyres/wheels, will def look into it. Wouldn't the bigger tyre change the rolling diameter and affect the odometer?

Yes. It will be off by about 6-10km
    I changed mine from 15''-17'' and the odo was wrong.
    U can recalibrate it at Honda, but its not that big of a issue if ur driving around the speed limit

Quote Originally Posted by Kangaaz View Post
    Didn't know tyre shops take trade in for old tyres/wheels, will def look into it. Wouldn't the bigger tyre change the rolling diameter and affect the odometer?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic FD1, Impreza, GE6
    is it to the faster or slower??im always confused about this

I think the speedo reads FASTER than the actual speed.
    I worked this out from driving next to JaCe (another stock civic) and he could see into my odo...

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    From what i can read, the standard offset is 45 for the VTi with stud pattern 5 x 114.3. How much difference in offset is acceptable (eg: If i am purchasing secondhand honda wheels with offset of 43 would that make any diff in terms of handling/performance etc?,
    +43 offset and +45 offset is nearly no difference at all. if you bought +43 offset wheels with the same width as the originals, your wheels will stick out a further 2mm which is jack all.

Do I need new tyres or can i just use my old stock ones?
    If they're both 15inch wheels then theres no problems in you using your old tires.

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo_e View Post
    Yes. It will be off by about 6-10km
    I changed mine from 15''-17'' and the odo was wrong.
    U can recalibrate it at Honda, but its not that big of a issue if ur driving around the speed limit
    If you had bought the right tyres in the first place then your speedo wouldn't have changed. If your overall diameter is too big? get a lower profile, simple.

Legally in Victoria, your overall diameter isn't allowed to increase or decrease by 15mm.
    So by buying the wrong tires, your speedo is off, and you can get dicked by the cops

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Vti
    Go 18s dude.. I asked the guy what's the percentage difference of the speed i'm really going to my speedo. He did some calculations and said i'm only going 0.4% faster. Which is pretty much nothing! I've got ..225/40/18. Good luck in your purchase!

Member Array
    Car:
    08 FD1, 10 CJ
    Quote Originally Posted by wilzee View Post
    Go 18s dude.. !
    I would if I had the money, budget stretched atm. The only reason i bought those 15" ones is because so I don't need to purchase new tyres.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Civic FD1, 08 Lancer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo_e View Post
    I think the speedo reads FASTER than the actual speed.
    I worked this out from driving next to JaCe (another stock civic) and he could see into my odo...
    ROFLMAO I remember calling you saying "uhh howcome your speedo says 80 when mine says 62"...

I wonder if this affects the odometer alot... it could devalue your car!
    FD1 & CZ4A Driver.

Member Array
    Car:
    08 FD1, 10 CJ
    The wheels i purchased today was finally delivered by TNT. They are 2nd hand ones from 2001 Honda CRV sport. Being the exact dimension, the only difference is the wheel contour, Civic been 15x6J and CRV 15X6JJ. Are these interchangeable as I want to use the stock tyre?