Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

D.I.Y Dyeing your carpet..

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim:
    To Turn your smelly grey carpet into black sexy clean carpet.

Required:

2 X Dylon Hot wash dye (I used ebony Black), 6 - 7 bucks from
    lincraft / spotlight etc. USE THIS BRAND! THIS DYE STICKS TO PLASTIC FABRICS!

1 X table salt (you'll need around a ounce or 30 grams worth)

1 X Mixing bowl. Make sure it's metal (it'll melt plastic) and not going to be used for food / again in general.

1 X DYLON colour remover (if you want to do a bright red or green etc)

1 X Stirrer (as you can see, my plastic spoon was eff'd. Try a metal spoon.

1 X Spray bottle

1 X Funnel (this will get ruined in the process)

1 X kettle

Steps:

Prep: GIVE THE CARPET A GOOD CLEAN! Make sure it's a decent clean, and make sure the carpet is free of any product you used once it's clean (IE not suddy and oily on your fingers when you touch it!) You can spray the dye on wet carpet too.

STEP ONE: I suggest removing the carpet from you're car, if you can't be fussed, fair enough. It'll take a day or two to dry, so if it's a friday and the car isn't being used till monday, you should be alright. I recommend removing it however.

ANYWAY, take the Dye tin, and pierce the lid. Tip the contents of the dye tin into the metal mixing bowl, and add the 30 odd grams of salt (Just guess)

STEP TWO: Boil 500 odd mils of water in the kettle. Once boiled, pour into the soloution in the mixing bowl.

STEP THREE: STIR WELL! Stir for around 2 mintutes, occasionally scraping the bottom of the bowl to check for any left over dye that may be sitting at the bottom of the bowl. It should start to smell strong, and get a rainbow like film on the top.

STEP FOUR: Place the funnel in the neck of the spray bottle, and pour contents down the funnel into the bottle, be careful! Don't burn yourself!

STEP FOUR POINT FIVE / OPTIONAL: Use Colour remove dye here if you wish to dye the carpet a bright red say. You don't need too, just for a 101% sucess rate with making the carpet bright / you're paranoid it'll fail .

STEP FIVE:
    Screw the lid on, and take the spray bottle to the carpet (IT'S HOT, SO WATCH OUT!) Begin spraying layers in a horizontal like motion accross the carpet, and do one section at a time.
    Don't be scared to saturate the carpet, as that is how dye works. ALSO, Don't get scared if you start to see grey patches! this is because once the carpets saturated and damp, light reflects off it making it appear grey. If you are that worried, spray some more on. The salt you added before helps the dye spread at a even rate. Should begin to look like below

STEP SIX:
    Once you have done one layer / coat of the dye, repeate process around 1 - 2 hours later (same as above with the second tin) It'll start looking more black like below.

STEP SEVEN: Don't drive your car for a day or two (hence why i said remove the carpet! Take a peep at the carpet, if you are happy (like I am), simply fit the carpet back and use floor mats, and the dye will last a long time! If you are unhappy / there are patches, repeate process again. It won't hurt doing it a few times. As you can see, mine came out like this. IT looks pretty cool!

Easy way to bring your carpet back from the dead. get creative! i want to see some blue and green carpets !

Other comments

You may use other colours, the DYLON range is huge. I suggest using this DYE as it works on plastic fabrics too, and sticks well to the carpet (mine looks fantastic!) You may also choose to use the colour remover prior to dying if you want a vibrant red say, it's in the same tin alongside the DYLON dye tins, in the same section. you can't miss it!

Happy D.I.Y Kids
    Last edited by I heart the SSS; 26-04-2008 at 02:17 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    B16A EG Civic
    Let us know if it runs when wet. Apart from that top job mate

Member Array
    Car:
    s15... corolla
    does it smell??

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro 6MT
    Looks to be a good idea mate. Results look good too. Is the texture/feel of the carpet still the same?
    2004 Accord Euro 6MT
    ------------------------------
    mods
    ------------------------------

Mugen catback exhaust l Philips BlueVision 4000k headlights

wow this is quite interesting
    i also want to know if the dye will run when wet and
    wonder how would red turn out

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    i used the same methods although different dye, nice work dude.

any no it doesnt run when wet, its a dye..

EDIT ( although it can fade if u dont have floor mats. )

Quote Originally Posted by baeshin View Post
    does it smell??
    Not at all. Once it's dry it's pretty odourless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaso View Post
    Looks to be a good idea mate. Results look good too. Is the texture/feel of the carpet still the same?
    Feels the same, it's a dye so it stains your fabric, not like the paint on stuff which leaves a spikey texture..

Quote Originally Posted by GTKING View Post
    wow this is quite interesting
    i also want to know if the dye will run when wet and
    wonder how would red turn out

AS said above, it's a dye so it won't run. Red would look good, Just use the colour remover dye stuff prior to using the red !

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    I'll have to attempt this once I decide to do my stereo.

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

•CRX• represent Array
    Car:
    CRX+CBR250RR
    i would be interested to see some1 attempt a more bolder colour ..

someone do red carpet

Some pics

IGNORE the passenger side, has a faded floormatt in it. Look at the drivers side

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    DUDE +rep on this one

Just saw them in-person and the Carpet looks REALLY NOICE!

Awww crap cant rep you again <.<
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!