Member Array
    Car:
    honda prelude VTi-R atts

All speakers now crackle on moderate volume

Hey guyz
    HAd my sound system for a few days got it installed at shop maybe shouldn't mention who.Anyway Being running fine clear when i turn it up and now whenever the volume goes past 30 the speakers crackle,i rewired them they still do it and its not just one its all of them,ive tried everything,the guy reckons i need to run and amp to the speakers why the hell is it happining now?,i thought it could be wire lose in headunit or something.
    Here is what i am running:
    Pioneer DEHP4050UB headunit has 3rca preouts
    Kicker 6inch front think they are ds600
    Kicker mono block amp 300zx.1
    Jl audio 12inch sub

Sub and amp are matched perfectly its just the speakers that now crackle at anything more than a moderate volume,i am running no bass to speakers.

Any help would be great

if they crack , too much power for the speakers or incorrectly routed ( R/L , L/R etc)
    take it back to the place before something blows

Member Array
    Car:
    honda prelude VTi-R atts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    if they crack , too much power for the speakers or incorrectly routed ( R/L , L/R etc)
    take it back to the place before something blows
    Yeh will do,couldnt be too much power as they are running of the headunit rated at 50wx4

not likely to be overpowering the speakers with the head unit. probably find that its the signal from the head unit distorting. just turn it down. if you want it lkoud get an amp to run the speakers

Member Array
    Car:
    DC/WRX
    are you running the kicker speakers throught he headunit or though an external amp?

if your running it off the headunit then thats why...the power form the headunit isnt much, they mention 50watts but its more 18-20RMS into a speaker that can handle about 60RMS. RMS power is what you look at not just watts because its a better indicator of power handling.
    having said that the crackling can be due to the headunit not providing a clean signal of power to power them speakers! its providing a dirty sigal which is heard as crackling through the speakers
    if u get a 2ch amp just for the front splits they will being them alive! budget in mind that is
    Life Doesn’t Start Until 9000RPM!

the amp is a mono. so it has to be runnin the sub. there isnt another amp so the speakers must be run from the deck

Member Array
    Car:
    EG, GV07
    no amp for the front 6inch??
    the head unit would have been working so hard to power the splits...
    since ur head unit has 3 rca outputs...i would suggest to get a decent 4 channel amp to run front and rear speakers..

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Bass could be turned up too much, causing distortion
    RCA/speaker wires could be loose
    speakers could be blown, visually inspect them
    Blown fuse can cause this on some head units
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    EVO
    yer you're asking your head unit to do more than it can produce, therefore clipped signal then distortion. CRACKLING can usually mean blown speaker too
    amp those splits or at least HPF them if your head unit has that ability
    Last edited by arverson; 02-05-2008 at 01:02 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    honda prelude VTi-R atts
    The front Speakers are NOT splits thought i would clear that up,if they where i would consider an amp as there would be nearly no point with out an amp.
    What i do not understand is they worked perfectly and now crackle at moderate volume.The Kicker Speakers have an operating range of 8rms-20rms,so they are not lacking power i do not think.

Visiting the Guy tomorrow,took rears out will replace them cause they are old,checked wiring of front ones seemed okay and physically speakers alrite,so i hope and i think it is a head unit problem.

Member Array
    Car:
    EVO
    maybe over time you ears got used to the output, then later you asked them to play louder (not kidding, it happens) and thats when you asked your head unit to feed your speakers a clipped signal, hence distortion, hence crackling - splits or coax.

not a question of your kickers lacking power, just maybe a question of u asking for more.

but yes hopefully the guys can clear it all up for you soon

Member Array
    Car:
    honda prelude VTi-R atts
    Quote Originally Posted by arverson View Post
    maybe over time you ears got used to the output, then later you asked them to play louder (not kidding, it happens) and thats when you asked your head unit to feed your speakers a clipped signal, hence distortion, hence crackling - splits or coax.

not a question of your kickers lacking power, just maybe a question of u asking for more.

but yes hopefully the guys can clear it all up for you soon
    I see your point and what you are saying is true but i always checked the volume number when i put it up loud and had it round 50 couple of times and at about 35+ it now crackles.Went to them today am booked in for a check he reckons it is the headunit.