Page 1 of 153 12341151101 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a

Lets Talk d-series

Thought this would be a good idea for a thread to talk about the wonderful d-series engine.No bitching b's vs d's,just d talk

I'll kick it off with a couple of questions

-What engine would be the best choice for a d-series turbo build?

-Does Head work,P&P,3 angle valve job etc etc give you more top end at the sacrifice of low end on a turbo d?

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    D16y1 or d16y8. They are the best. They have vtec yo, flow the most.. best aftermarket support as well. And all their parts are interchangeable with all other SOHC efi Dseries engines. (so if you blow up a gearbox or something similar ... bam lay down $300 for parts and labour and your back running again.

Some may say go the D16z8/zc.... because its twincam. But aftermarket support is shit, everything is uniquie in the Dohc d16 so close to nothing is interchangeable. Once the build on a zc is off the ground pretty much everything needs to be custom made or is expensive as.... and if thats the case.. may as well swap the b. Because lets face it, only reason to run the turbo d is for value.

usually the sohc doesnt rev as high but with a valve / camshaft / valve job / Pnp or whatever its easily possibly to be makeing power up to 8.5 to 9k. but at the end of the day dseries boxs have long gears (which is great for boost) so you dont really need to be makeing heaps of power at super high rpm.

my2c

thanks in advance

Regards Lyle

ps check out this thred. its been locked... but some good links and info

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67920
    Last edited by Sexc86; 03-05-2008 at 01:06 PM.
    Light up with Lyle - Electrical / Communications / Instrumentation

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Thanks Lyle.I read that whole thread b4,great info,that's why I put in the first post no bitching

"Because lets face it, only reason to run the turbo d is for value."
    I never thought it out but now that I have,this is absolutely correct.BONUS!
    Luke just got 120kw which is awesome power for the money spent.
    I was steering towards a Turbo d because I feel it would be a mad fun car to drive vs a NA car and that's really what you want an enjoyable car to drive so when ya girl asks you to drive her somewhere you got something to smile about.hehehe.

Without touching any of the internals what is a safe number to set the rev limiter too on these 2 engines?

Would you use just the stock gear boxes that come with the engine with no modifications?

Should this be in the FI section??

Beeza: It depends on how much power/RPM you are planning on running. If you're thinking of going custom then you should be having long conversations with people that have done it before so that you don't make the same mistakes as other people.

Either that or buy an off the shelf kit that has proven gains/reliability.

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    Leave your rev limiter standard on whatever engine you choose. unless you build the head. Then you rev limiter would be based on what your head (with the new work/parts) will make power to.
    It really comes down to the work you put into it.. what parts you use, who builds and tunes it.

Standard gearboxs are fine... but as you will never find a brand new dseries box you will alwayes have 2nd hand (pot luck) boxs.. some will be in better condition then others. The gears are very strong.. its usually the bearing and syncros that fail (not because they are shit.. usually from age. 150xxxk+ old).
    You would be surprised what a OEM spec rebuilt gearbox can take.

I know the y8 box is the pick up the crop (apparently) slightly thicker gears with shorter ratios. also the JDM d15 (sohc Vtec) has a 1way clutch LSD from factory.

Should you blow a box up... either rebuild to OEM spec, should last you a long time with lots and lots of abuse .. or just buy another potluck box for $100. $300 installed ready to go. (might last 5xxx might last 50xxx)

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Jase-Yeah it should...I started the thread just wanting to talk about the d but since the only way to make power with them is to turbo them,then that's what will be spoken about.

I was wanting to keep the build simple and as cheap as possible.So not customising but head work like Weq's would be sweet as long as it didn't sacrifice low end power.

I know the Greddy Turbo kit off US ebay is the best value for money at $2300 but how does that compare to buying a second hand turbo kit for $1500?

Lyle-Thank U.Gearbox $300 installed is music to the ears.How much would you be looking at for an engine to be swapped if you blew the one your using?

btw I'm so glad I started this thread,I can see my dreams come to reality
    Last edited by beeza; 03-05-2008 at 03:34 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic
    isnt there a forum for this?
    d series org or something?

everyone there will have information for u beeza...

btw i had a turbo y4 and only problem was ecu... it doesnt run a typical obd1 or obd2 set up...
    easiest way would have probably been to run a emanage or something

Member Array
    Car:
    eg sedan
    hi guys. got my eyes set on a jdm d15b. thinking just to go headers and full exhaust and a cam. probably a crower stage 2 or something. then after that just leave it as that for a few years.

also any other good obd1 d-series engines to look at? is it worth converting to obd2 for a d16y8?

also jdm d15b doesnt really have any aftermarket support for the bottom end right? any oem ones to use to bump up the compression?

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Ricer-Yeah I was a member on there for a year and there's a lot of GREAT info but it's just different...it just seems a lot easier to be chatting locally so we are on the same page.And I'm banned from there for speaking up about the American government.They took it very personnally...

I got a y4 atm and I bought greddy e-manage but I feel I'm just throwing good money after bad on my automatic.So I decided to start saving and do it the right way.Turbo d + VTec

d15z1SUX-Just make sure that's what you want.I mean you don't want to spend 2-3k or whatever only to not be satisfied with it and spend more money getting what you want.
    Everyone will say and I definately agree Turbo d + VTec is the shazizzle.Only way to get real power from the d.

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    IMO i wouldnt ever swap the jdm d15b. the d16y1 is superior in every way (except the box).

That box price is aproximate. as well as prices for other things if/when you replace. but either way you will pay less then maintaining other engines out there.

Management... yes you will need a kit with a PROPER management. not a FMU or a HACK or that bullshit. Atleast a Entry level Emanage where you can adjust ignition timing as well as fuel mixture etc.

To be honest buying a Turbo "Kit" is like buying a Crate engine.... Ask the DOHC N/A boys. The money you pay for a Crate engine like Spoon or JUN..
    you could much cheaper build a more powerfull engine custom made... Its like
    you could part together a way better turbo kit for the same price as buying a offshelf one. Only downfall is a bit more time and research. but you should never rush into thist stuff clueless... i learnt the hard way.

Man you really need to get in friendly with the ammericans. because there are alot more people on their forems who know what they are talking about. rather then here... takeing stabs in the dark.

www.d-series.org
    www.turbod16.com
    www.honda-tech.com

Your best friends. To source parts and infomation. Nothing more to be said.
    You just need to understand their honda language. eg

D16z6 = D16y1
    SI = VTIR
    Etc etc

Member Array
    Car:
    eg sedan
    oh... where did the d16y1 come from?

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    92 - 95 Civic VTI SOHC Vtec d16y1

Same power as jdm d15b. More torque, more aftermarket support, more common therefor cheaper. the JDM d15 box can go on any Efi Sohc D16.