Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 CL9 Euro

Weird 4WS problem

4WS lights in my 4g lude keeps coming back on for some reason.
    After I reset the ECU (disconnect - battery and connect it again) the light went off after I started the car.
    But then after a while, as in a few days, the light suddenly went on again.
    Then I did the same like before, reset the ECU, light went off again, etc...

Any idea what's going on?

if it keeps coming back, you mite need a 4ws alignment.

though the 4ws can also be triggered by simple things such as if the rear wheel is up against a gutter, and you try to turn the wheel.

4ws alignment is around 150 from honda dealers.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Prelude Si-Vtec
    get the code from it and find out whats wrong. obviously something is wrong if it keeps coming back.
    Feel free to give me reputation if you feel I have helped

2nd that john!

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    check this link out
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51150

you are also not resetting your 4ws ecu corectly.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1995 Prelude VTi-R

Same 4ws problem

I am so glad I found this forum. I have pulled my ECU and resoldered the relays, I have tried to reset my ECU and nothing seems to be working to stop the 4ws warning light from coming on. I have tried to pull the codes, but there is nothing showing, just the light staying on.
    Could it really be as simple as just getting myself a wheel alignment?? If it is, I will start kicking myself that it was something so simple!! In fact, I have pulled the ECU out again tonight to make sure the soldering has held up as the problem is still there.
    If anyone has any further idea of what this could be, please let me know.
    Cheers,
    Flemo

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Prelude Si-Vtec
    the ecu has nothing to do with the 4ws really. the 4ws computer is located in the boot, on the back of the rear passenger seat. Take that out and resolder the joints. PreludeAustralia will prolly have more info on this sort of thing.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1995 Prelude VTi-R

4ws Probs

Yeah, it was the 4ws ECU that I resoldered the relays on, but this made no difference. I would have contacted Honda Australia, but as EVERYONE who owns a Honda knows, they will rape you as soon as they get your vehicle as they know there is not too much that can't be done without them. JSpec3, I am also in SEQld, do you know of anyone that might be able to help if I am unsuccessful??

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Prelude Si-Vtec
    Jump on Preludeaustralia.com and ask.

If the light is showing then you will have a code. Sure you did it right? Have you checked that link ECU-MAN posted? Have you disconnected your battery after you have fixed the solders and then turned your steering wheel left-right-left-right-center as per that link?

You might need to take it to Honda and get a 4ws sensor alignment. I have had one done before. Cost about $180. Make sure you tell them you want a 4ws alignment not 4 wheel alignment otherwise they'll just wanna give you a wheel alignment.
    Last edited by JSpec3; 04-06-2008 at 09:55 AM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1995 Prelude VTi-R
    Yeah, I have done everything that has been mentioned, bar the turning of the steering wheel.
    I will get the 4WS ECU into the car and try that, and if there is still no joy I will go for a wheel alignment, it has been a while and I hadn't thought about it before reading this forum. If that is no good then I will try Honda for the sensor alignment and slowly chip away at the problems. As for the code, there was nothing show, the 4WS light just stayed on - I did follow this from the Honda manual, so I 99% sure I had this one sorted, plus a greaser at work had a look and came up with the same thing.
    I have checked that thread, was doing so late last night after work, and it is much better than just seeing a word picture.
    Thanks for your help, will let you know how it all goes.
    Cheers,
    Flemo

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1995 Prelude VTi-R

So far so good...

I resoldered a lot of the PCB in the 4WS ECU, and I am not sure if this was it, but I am more inclined to think it has been then turning of the steering wheel that has done it. The 4WS light usually comes on between 2 and 4km's, I just went for a short drive of about 4km's and there was no light come on. I am going to work soon, so this will be the real test. If it works, thank you for all your help, if it doesn't work, thank you for all your help but what can I do now...
    Cheers,
    Flemo

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Prelude Si-Vtec
    well just let us know the outcome. btw honda will do a wheel alignment while doing the sensors so don't get one before going there, waste of money.