Page 1 of 30 123411 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F

Exclamation New CU2 Accord Euro - My car, my review!

Engine Bay:

The engine bay is very well laid out. There is heaps of room in there. Heaps of room behind the engine for a turbo, that’s for sure. There is a good 12", probably more!

The header is cast into the head. Pity about that.

The strut brace is a solid unit, and it's made solid! Very well done Honda! I would like to see if it actually makes a difference on this sweet, sweet chassis.

Looking at the exhaust system, I don’t think much gains are available. The whole system looks quality.

Interior:

I love the dash lay out. I was worried that the dash was going to be too high. It's not. Not even close. With the steering wheel in the highest position, it clears the top of the dash. The dash as a whole is no so much higher than the CL9, but more it extends from front to back a lot more. I think it is only due to the display in the middle.

The gauge cluster is nice. The functions are also a nice touch. One thing that did annoy me is that on the manual, the tacho cluster has nothing in the middle of it. On the auto, it has the usual gearstick position displayed. This balances up the field of view nicely, but on the manual, it just seems odd.

One thing I did really notice it that I didn’t feel so claustrophobic when I got in. The doors are not at shoulder level when you are seated like the CL9. A definite improvement. I thought the seat fabric was better in the CL9, I also liked the leather better in CL9 also. I thought the door trim would look better if it was a different colour. I like the doors though.

The seating position is very adjustable. Very comfortable to sit in. They hug your whole body. Very nice.

The rear seats are subject of much debate. I’m about 6'2". I sat in the back of my car with the front seats right back. I couldn't sit with my knees behind the front seat, but I can't do this in a lot of cars. One thing though, my head was touching the roof. I was not comfortable, and I don't know if I could handle a road trip in the back. I would have to slump down into the very comfortable seats, but the front seats would have to go forward a bit. What I did find is that when I was driving, I didn't need the seat all the way back.

The AUX input in the centre armrest compartment is awesome. There is another cigarette lighter hole in there too. The air-con vents in the glove box and armrest compartment are I think gimmicky.

I think I can remember the CL9 glove compartment being bigger than this. The shelf is removable. I think the cooler/air-con vent is useless.

Rear parcel shelf. What were they thinking? What's with the cream colour in a black interior? They seriously have to change this. The sub-woofer is a nice touch!

The sound system is great. It has 10 speakers, with a speaker in the middle of the top of the dash. The controls are easy to use, and the system is really adjustable. I have heard that it is made by Alpine. I haven't found any evidence to back this up though. The 6 stacker works great and the display is very nice. It shows up the song titles and everything. I do think there is way too many buttons in the middle now though.

The pedal layout is sweet. I think they have done a much better job than previously. It seems that they have taken more effort in this department. I can remember the pedals in the CL9 feeling cheap. The footrest is also bigger and comfortable. There just seems to be way more room down there. Easy to stretch out with the cruise control on.

Brakes:

This is the rear 17” wheel of the base. The brakes on this baby are definitely bigger. I don't think they work better though. I think the compound they have used is too soft. They do scrub speed very well though. I tested mine out and I didn't get the ABS to kick in which surprised me how hard I was braking. The pedal feel was softer than I would have liked, but the more you press the pedal, the firmer it got. I guess no one wants his or her brakes too touchy. They were very compliant in pulling the car up straight though.

Driving Impressions:
    The engine is wonderful! It is nice with plenty of torque. I find the fun starts in the high 3k's rpm's and goes to redline. Definitely more of a midrange motor though. Tons of power around 4k-6k rpm. It does definitely continue to redline no worries at all, but unlike before, you don't need to go there to get the best out of it. I just can't wait till mine loosens up.

The car does not float over the road at all. It just feels so much more planted. This is a driver’s car. That is for sure. The ride is firm and stable. It soaks up the bumps nicely. I read some Yank review that said it was harsh and bumpy, and that you will wear your coffee. I just drove 500kms back from Perth last night and I can say it is more than comfortable. I don’t think the suspension needs upgrading on this baby at all. It only needs to be dropped 1” for looks (instead of 2” on CL9). On the CL9, the first thing I wanted to do was change the suspension. Not on the CU2!

I feel it accelerates quicker than CL9 despite the extra weight. The extra weight feels like it is strapped to the bottom of the car, evenly distributed. In the back of my mind, I know it's there, but the only thing I think it seems to effect is acceleration in the higher gears. Don't get me wrong, this car still really hauls ass. The COG is Definitely at the bottom of the car. I have been flogging it around corners all morning at speeds I really shouldn't be, and this baby is so very well planted.

I brought the 6sp manual base model. The gearbox is totally awesome! It's a definite improvement over the CL9. I don’t think it is a short shift, and could benefit from one. It feels so nice to use.
    They have definitely changed gear ratios, this is what I got:
    1st: 50km/h @ 7,000 rpm
    2nd: 85km/h @ 7,000rpm
    3rd: 135km/h @7,000rpm
    4th: 175km/h @ 7,000rpm
    5th: 200+km/h
    6th: Are you crazy?

The clutch is also a work of art. It is light, and retains the same feeling no matter how much you press it in, or let it out. The engagement is very nice. It is not grabby at all. It is almost as if it was electronic or something.

First impressions of the tyres are that they are really good. I think a lot of people are going to be happy with these.

Final thoughts:
    The more I drive this car, the more I like it. Just like the CL9, this baby just grows and grows on you. Honda has done a fantastic job on this one. I feel it is even more squarely aimed at the young executive then ever before.

Sadly, just a quick test drive around the block with the salesman is not going to tell you anything about the potential of this car. Yes, going slow, this car has the perception of being anaesthetised. This car is sooooo much better than that. Is this a fun car to drive? Of course it is! Because everything works so well, you just have to drive quicker to get that CL9 rawness feeling. That’s how I would explain the difference. CL9 - a bit raw, a bit sloppy (in comparison). I think that’s where the fun comes from with the CL9. And as for the CU2? Smoooooth is how I describe it. I feel it does everything better.

Would I trade a CL9 for a CU2? That is the question on everyone’s mind right? Put it this way. If I had an old CL9 base, I'd trade for a Lux model. I had an '04 base, it was nice. I personally don't think I could trade CL9 base for CU2 base. For me personally, it is something about having to get better. I think the CU2 is the better car for sure, but trade base for base? You'd loose too much $$$ for not that much gain.

If I had a CL9 Lux, I'd probably wait another year for the diesel. There is no denying that the CL9 is such a fantastic car. If I didn't have a Euro at all, which one would I buy? CU2, no doubt about it.

I have no doubt that stock for stock; the CU2 would kick the pants off the CL9 around a racetrack.

I just can't help wondering what the CU2 would be like if it was the same weight as the CL9, or even 100kgs less than what it weighs now. There will be no comparison to be had. There would be no more 'Which is better, CL9 or CU2?' threads. I think this car needs another 20kw or so. I thought that about the CL9, but I definately think that now.

Last edited by Type R Positive; 26-06-2008 at 04:30 PM.
    Honda Accord Euro CU2 / Lexus IS-F

nice writeup

Member Array
    Car:
    2003 euro 6 speed
    nice write up thanks for the review

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic GLI 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Type R Positive View Post
    1st: 50km/h @ 7,000 rpm
    2nd: 85km/h @ 7,000rpm
    3rd: 135km/h @7,000rpm
    4th: 175km/h @ 7,000rpm
    5th: 200+km/h
    6th: Are you crazy?
    Mate, you revved your brand new car to the redline already
    Where did you drive it? Did you manage to get the 0-100 km/h time?

Member Array
    Car:
    2003 euro 6 speed
    they are already run in from the factory

Member Array
    Car:
    Ohthatsit
    Quote Originally Posted by mr747 View Post
    they are already run in from the factory
    engine yes, gearbox no.
    GD3 -> EP3 -> RB3

FS Rays nuts etc

excellent review!
    BNR34 N1 spec
    QR Sprint - 57.79
    QR Clubman - 60.74
    QR National - 1:22.71

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Lee View Post
    engine yes, gearbox no.
    As long as you don't shock the gear box with high rpm launching, it will be fine eventhough the car is brand new.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Love your review! Your review is better than all those reviews on carpoint, carsales, drive.com.au etc.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro
    Love the dash board, the gauge is a lot more sporter than the CL9

Member Array
    Car:
    Tanaka Horushi - Z
    AHhahaha stock strutbrace for a family sedan.........that spells out the intentions right there........SWEET!!!

ah is it me or am I seeing caster rods for the rear suspension as well? ROFL.
    Last edited by MKI4EVA; 26-06-2008 at 05:57 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Love your review! Your review is better than all those reviews on carpoint, carsales, drive.com.au etc.
    Me thinks they haven't driven the car. I bet they just cut and paste from internet. Everyone seems to have the same review.
    Honda Accord Euro CU2 / Lexus IS-F